S.Santiam steelhead

S
Sage_Flyguy
Well everyone I am definitely making progress. Again I come home empty handed but today I actually hooked my first steelhead well 2 to be exact. The first one I didn't have on very long at all poor hook set. Like a little kid I got excited and forgot about those small details like set the hook dummy. The 2nd one I had on a bit longer.

I snagged and broke off, re tied and the guy I was fishing with noticed I tired on a red hook and told me he quit using Gamakatsu hooks because he had problem with them bending. Literally 3 casts after I re tied I hooked into my second ever steelhead and the fight was on. Moments later the fish was off, when I retrieved my line I noticed that red hook was bent open. Ya live and learn, all and all it was a great day on the river, we may go back down this evening and for sure again in the morning.

I will be sure to keep you all updated on my progress.
Jer

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice! although the red gamakatsu hook doesn't make sense to me. i caught a huge winter steelhead one one and a few salmon too and never had a problem with them bending out

C
cowboysfan
Gamakatsu has always been good to but recently went Owner been working real well very swift hook set and not many misses

S
Santiam338
Better luck next time,but don't let them pull that hard...;)

Last edited:
B
BlackBass
I have bent maybe two hooks in my entire life , as in octopus hooks, you were clearly pulling to hard or were not matched with the right line rod rating. Having someone tell you that gamis bend is beyond retarded, the guy probably had the same issues as yourself, NO WAY a 8lb fish is bending a size 2 4 6 gami.

S
Sage_Flyguy
1st of all black bass I am not writing posts here looking to argue. A much better reply on your part would be "that's odd , maybe it was just a bad hook. Or I have rarely heard of such a thing a #4 Gamakatsu shouldn't be bending like that under normal circumstances." Maybe it is just one of those dumb luck things where your buddy calls it before it happens.

I do not believe 10lb Izorline mainline and 8lb Maxima leader is over kill in any sense of the imagination. I am not here posting trying to talk bad about Gamakatsu or good about Owner, I am simply just here posting my experience for everyone else to read.

If you so happen to be the one guy on here that has his retirement set in Gamakatsu stock and you feel this post of mine shed such bad light on these hooks, I apologize. I can also guarantee that this post did not persuade everyone who read it to go change out there whole tackle box

Jer