Rugged Creek switch rod?

J
john montana
the real question...can you catch carp on those rods? hah...

some pretty sweet carp water out where you live.

T
Trout-tacular!
RuggedCreek said:
I Found quite a bit of buzz about us on this forum through google, and I thought I might be able to answer a few of your questions. We've had a quite a few of you emailing us asking about our return policy and warranty, and we've been in business for about a month. We knew that selling our rods direct would create some hesitation because you can't go down to a shop and get your hands on one until you've already committed, so we've decided to make some revisions. We have decided to offer a 2 week, no questions asked money back guarantee, so you can get your hands on a combo and put it to the test. Also, we have made a major revision to our warranty which I think most of you will like. We haven't had many reviews yet, and unfortunately no real detailed down to the nitty gritty type reviews, but the ones we have had have been more than positive. I just thought I'd let you all know, because with our new return policy any one of you could be the one to answer all these questions for everybody.

Jake Semons

Welcome OFF.

T
Trout-tacular!
Got a Rugged Creek 7/8 switch on its way. I'll be putting it through the test and having others try it. I should have enough fishing in and enough input from others in about a month or so to give a full review.

Any questions in the interim are welcomed, just shoot me a PM. Lets see how this thing stacks up for the price.

T
TimberTodd
Looking forward to your report.

T
Trout-tacular!
Wow! at this posting its almost 1,000 views. Not sure what that means.

Just wanted to say I have the rod in hand and have strung it up and done some general aesthetic inspections and some casting. Hitting the Lower D this weekend for some steelhead chasing. Should have a report sometime next week (perhaps late week) for ya' all to look at.

T
TimberTodd
Looking forward to your report. Have fun on the lower D. with it.

C
ChezJfrey
TimberTodd said:
Looking forward to your report. Have fun on the lower D. with it.

Yeah, I'm interested in hearing about it too.

T
Trout-tacular!
In short, given the price of the combo, I think its a decent rod with a better than expected reel. The line on the other hand wasn't something I would choose.

For spey style casting the rod loads and casts better with a 575gr head weight with a 55ft head length than with the line it came with. It handles a 450gr 24ft head skagit line fine as well. If you were to use it for hucking big nymphs with lined up split shots, then the line it came with would be good enough. The reel is what really catches my attention as well as others I've handed it to. I've noticed it is virtually the same reel that companies like Allen Fly Fishing and Wetfly are selling. Its a nice looking, light weight, truly large arbor reel that balances this and other rods well when spooled with line. The drag sets smooth and easy. However, since I haven't hooked into a steelhead while fishing this setup I'm yet to really test the drag on the reel; it feels like it would do just fine but I would rather have a steelie on the run test it. The rod's length is good, at 11'3" it allows for good line control and spey casting, but for the huck and duck single hand nypmhing style you might tire towards the end of the day. I find the rod to be on the slower side of fast action. Not a medium-fast but just a 'marginally-slower' fast. On the down side, I'm not a fan of the fly carriage....perhaps a weird thing... but I would much rather see a simple loop than something that swivels. And I would rather have a rod tube than a rod and reel case, but again, that's me.

Last edited:
T
TimberTodd
Thanks for your update. Hope you hook into a steelie with it soon.