Rookies on the fly find success

A
alm21
My son, Jamie, and I took an Orvis fly fishing class today and then headed out to Hornings Hideout to try our new found skills. Jamie caught 6 bows and missed quite a few. I ended up with 16 or so plus my fair share of missed strikes. We fished nymphs under an indicator however, jamie tied up a few different things and found some action. This was also the first time I put some fish on my 8wt setup. Here are some pics.

Jamie with his first ever fish on the fly:

Hornings05-06-1201.jpg

Hornings05-06-1203.jpg

It was a C&R day but we ended up keeping this albino bow (Jamie made me do it):

Hornings05-06-1207.jpg

Hornings05-06-1205.jpg

One of the local residents:

Hornings05-06-1209.jpg

S
steelhead_slayer
Watch out fly fishing is addicting.

P.S. Your son has good taste in hats

T
troutmasta
What a nice day, Sucsessfully fly fished today for my first time today as well. Congrats!!

F
FlyBum
Way to go! :clap:

Peter would be happy with the shout out :)

J
jabs67
Way to go!!!!!!!

L
lilsalmon
Good job!!!!

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
A
alm21
Thanks all. Through this, I have found my son is much more interested in fly fishing. Yesterday, he was tying on his own ties and releasing his own fish. When focused, his casting looks really good and can execute a nice roll cast. I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do on the rivers.

steelhead_slayer said:
Watch out fly fishing is addicting.

P.S. Your son has good taste in hats

The guys at that shop were very helpful when we were down there. That was when I noticed my son's affinity towards fly fishing as he picked out a fly he wanted to try to catch fish on and begged me to get it (he's never done that when shopping for the hardware). It's a big black streamer looking fly with a Chartreuse head and looks pretty fishy. I actually bought that hat for myself but Jamie took a liking to it as soon as we left the store so now it's his official fishing hat.

Sinkline said:
Great job Alex & son!

Were you guys using quick release type bobbers/indicators? If you were not, get some for future fishing in deeper water. If your indicator is fixed and you are fishing 15'-20' you won't be able to get the fish to the net before the indicator hits the tip-top on the rod.

Glad ya got some use from your new flyrod & reel. If ya get into stillwater trout..., or trout angling in general you are gonna want to get a bit lighter rod than your 8wt.

I got a feeling you will be putting a few steelhead on the bank this Winter with your flyrod!

Randy

Thanks Randy. We were using the little sticky foam indicators but you make a great point because I was thinking about that as we were landing fish since we had the fly 6'-7' below the indicator. I don't think I have seen the quick release floats so I'll look into that. The 8wt was definitely overkill but Jamie was using my 4/5wt (time to get him his own setup) and it was nice to finally put some fish on it! I can see the attraction to still water fly fishing. With my son's new found interest and success catching trout on the fly, I think I can put the power bait away for quite some time if not for good.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales

Last edited:
S
Sinkline

Last edited:
A
alm21
Those look really cool, thanks Randy. Would you recommend getting some replacement pegs?

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
G
GDBrown
Glad to see that you are raising another generation of fly fishers. My dad did the same thing when I was 12 or so but I didn't get it until I moved to Montana and I was hooked forever. Fly fishing has been my only forever hobby. Others have come and gone but the fly rod is always there. I have been impressed with the newer materials from ORVIS when it comes to teaching and learning about fly fishing. They have tried to remove the mystique and difficulty from what has traditionally been a very challenging sport.

Keep getting out on the water with your son and enjoy more time having fun....

GD

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Hey Alm - I dig your Rocky Mountain reel! I loved my 3/4. I busted the handle off years ago - so it sits retired in my drawer. One of my favorite reels ever.

PM me if you're interested in a rod for the youngster - I've got a Cabela's 8'6" 4 weight 4 piece rod I'd be willing to donate to a budding fly fisher. You'd only need to find a reel & line for it.

S
stanster
Great post. I took an Orvis class too on Sat May 5. My stepson and I went out May 15 and we're both hooked!!