Question on bleeding

W
wozniasm
I saw a previous thread regarding bleeding your catch and wanted some clarification as to where you would actually make the cut.

troutdude
troutdude
Great question. Where/how to you cut the gills Squatch?

R
RunWithSasquatch
biol_02_img0187.jpg

See how the white material makes a suedo- "arrow"?

I cut in the center of that, completely in half. That is a vein that takes the oxygen from the gill. Knife, or a pair of scissors do great.

Reactions: rogerdodger
W
wozniasm
Thanks for the info. I didn't think about the oxygen transfer but that makes sense.
I'm always amazed how much info (tricks of the trade) you guys have!

Reactions: waco
troutdude
troutdude
Wow Squatch, you must have bagged one yesterday. At least you had it on hand, for a demo model! :lol:

I also had not thought about the oxygen x-fer. Thanks.

W
waco
RunWithSasquatch said:
I cut mine in the gills before the heart stops pumping. For best results make sure the head is facing "downhill." You can also cut the fish deep just in front of the Caudal fin. I don't feel like I get the same results, so I stick with the gills.

[/IMG]
where is the caudal fin!? Where do you cut?

R
RunWithSasquatch
waco said:
where is the caudal fin!? Where do you cut?

Caudal is just a fancy word for the tail fin. I found a photo online of a fish that was cut to bleed that way.

IMG_0050.jpg

The biggest thing you have to keep in mind, if you want to do the best bleed job you can, let gravity help you.

Slit the tail, head up. Hit the gill arches, head down.

F
Fish-N-Chips
If you do not have scissors you can just rip the whole gill plate out with your hand. this method is very effective and works best with gloves. Can be a little messy, but the fish bleeds out quick.If you watch the end of my video in fishing videos under codis chromer you can see me do this and how fast the fish starts bleeding everywhere. If you do it without gloves you will probably scratch your hands up pretty good(I speak from experience). I prefer to cut them with a nice pair of long bladed scissors.

N
nwkiller
bust a gil before you bonk......let them pump the blood out.....for sure the best way....or hang them after you bonk them with a slice in the tail