Polarized sunglasses

K
kenjimua
I have a few questions to ask....
Does it alow you to see fishes. In the water better like giving you x-ray vision and see fishes?:peace:
What's a good pair to get for fishing?

And last of all where can I get one at?
I'm looking to spend about $70 or am I looking to spend more?

hobster
hobster
I have a pair of Natives I really dig, they were around that price but I got em on sale. You can pay a lot for polarized, im not sure the really expensive ones are much better vision wise. They basically eliminate the glare on the water and you can see a ton better through the water, but not quite x ray. They help a lot, a necessity in the summer plus your eyes are protected from flying hooks and weights (not nesessarily by you:)).

M
meluvtrout
kenjimua said:
I have a few questions to ask....
Does it alow you to see fishes. In the water better like giving you x-ray vision and see fishes?:peace:
What's a good pair to get for fishing?

And last of all where can I get one at?
I'm looking to spend about $70 or am I looking to spend more?

Find a store with polarized test pictures (most of the time parrots with lots of colors) buy the cheapest one or two that fits your face and style. You can look at that test picture with a $200 Oakley and a $15 Porkley and they will both be very similar in image quality.

Your best investment will be a neck strap or you will drop them in the water or on the rocks all the time. Find a brown and/or amber lens, they seem to work best for me. Good luck.
Oh and cheap because, those lenses will be scratched or will be sticky with fish goo all the time, unless you're REALLY careful.

J
jesse202505
Go to all american tackle in clackamas. He has the h30 glasses they have 3 interchangeable lenses from dark to clear. Clear for cloudy days and darker for the bright sunny days. They sell lenses seperately and compared to cheap ones they let you see fish further and deeper. Ive tested them myself. My friends buy the cheap ones and half the time they can't see the fish i do. They work great I'm gonna get a second pair. And only 70 bucks. Luck!

J
JeannaJigs
I roll with a few pairs of natives I have purchased on sale here and there and I've never looked back. Lifetime warranty. Had a scratched lens on a pair and got a new lens for the price of free, excellent customer service.

R
_RJ_
I want to add that there is a difference between $10 and $200 glasses. Most Oakley's meet and exceed ANSI Z87.1 for clarity and impact resistance. To fly fisherman this is of an extra importance. When chucking tungsten head string leeches all day you can catch one to the face. When I was in Iraq we didn't have any eye protection that could meet those standards and it almost cost me my left eye. On my 2nd deployment we were hit with another IED and metal shrapnel and rocks were actually stuck in our Oakley's saving several of us from potential eye injuries.

My recommendation is find a pair of sunglasses that fit your face and meet ANSI standards then your budget. Because $200 is cheaper than eye surgery or loss of vision. My favorite glasses are some of the Oakley half jacket, M-Frame or radar sunglasses. Smith makes a really great pair for fishing out coastal streams where dark clouds and big trees make it darker on the water. They're called low light ignitor lenses with your choice of frames. I just bought a pair of Costa Permit 580p glasses and I love them.

Sorry for the rant. But as you can tell I'm passionate about my eye sight after nearly losing it several times. One last thing make sure you get polycarbonate lenses over glass if you're looking for protection.

K
kenjimua
Plan to get a strap forsurr dont want to lose it ._. sin e short in money

hobster
hobster
_RJ_ said:
When I was in Iraq we didn't have any eye protection that could meet those standards and it almost cost me my left eye. On my 2nd deployment we were hit with another IED and metal shrapnel and rocks were actually stuck in our Oakley's saving several of us from potential eye injuries.

Impressive! And by the way, thank you for your service :thumb:

H
halibuthitman
I roll with a pair of costa man-o-wars with 580 glass lenses... Un scratchable. On a side note.. I have been fly fishing since 1985, and i have never hit myself, or anyone else in the face.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I have a spendy pair of prescription oakleys for myself but I keep a pair of cheapos in the boat and they work great too. $70 should get you a nice pair....especially if you shop sales.

R
_RJ_
Thanks Hobster, I still have the lenses somewhere in a box. I haven't hit myself either, but it only takes one time. Google fishing eye protection and look at images and you can see a treble hook, pheasant tail nymph and a conehead fly stuck in peoples eye balls and lenses. I do know a couple people that have hit their face and eye. Maybe a casting class would help too, haha.

K
kenjimua
Soo I
iv seen a lot of forum mbers say they have native ...whays the price range on those? and where can i get one?

S
Steeliekiller
You can usually find good deals at sunglass hut, I usually hit the clearance rack an I am a firm believer in arnettes. I've had a few different brands but arnettes really do their job.

G
grizzlynitemare
I have a pair of spiderwire polarized glasses I got at Walmart for 15 bucks. Not top of the line, but they work good for the shallow waters (15' max) like I usually fish.

O
OnTheDrop
Maui Jim's.

Chromatose
Chromatose