Places to catch some fish??

F
fishnlady91
Just looking for some places to catch some trout! My husband and I have not fished Oregon, and are wanting to catch some trout! Not looking for your specific honey holes, just some good places to go bank fishing for some trout!! We are in Wilsonville, OR.

Thanks in advance everyone!

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to the forum. At this time of year; you are relegated to lakes. Most streams won't open, until May 24th. But, a few streams ARE open on April 26th.

It's also worthy to note that, you can keep 5 trout per day from a lake. But most streams are catch and release only. All of this is explained, in the reg book. Do you have a copy?

Have you checked ODFW's lake stocking schedule, for trout? If you prefer non-hatchery bred fish; I say head up to Lake Harriet. It's about an hour past North Fork Reservoir, in the Clackamas basin. Or, there is Hagg Lake just SW of Forest Grove. There's a $5 daily fee. But, I love Hagg (was trolling it on the opener on 3/1). Saw an 11-pound one-year hold-over 'bow caught there, last year on the opener. Yes. I said 11 POUNDS. There are bigger trout in there too. But, you'll mostly get truck trout (or some 17-18" hold overs).

Tight lines.

S
sapo
Henry Hagg lake is good, North Fork Reservoir is OK, Progress Lake is good early in the morning and an occasional bite in the afternoon, just check the stocking schedule, that really helps as well.

F
FishFinger
fishnlady91 said:
Just looking for some places to catch some trout! My husband and I have not fished Oregon, and are wanting to catch some trout! Not looking for your specific honey holes, just some good places to go bank fishing for some trout!! We are in Wilsonville, OR.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Is your inclination to fish from the bank or do you have a boat?

As TD mentioned many rivers are not yet open, however there are many lakes/ reservoirs currently open. The number of options increase as you head east of the Cascades.

Some suggestions would be, Detroit Reservoir, Suttle Lake, Haystack, Prineville, and Ochoco reservoirs, and Lake Billy Chinook.

The Deschutes and Crooked Rivers are open, both restricted to only using flies or artificial lures; no bait.

F
fishnlady91
FishFinger said:
Is your inclination to fish from the bank or do you have a boat?

We do not have a boat at this time. So bank is the only option for us right now.

F
fishnlady91
Thanks everyone!! My husband and I are going to check out St. Louis ponds, and maybe Henry Hagg Lake!! :) Will be sure to post our success, and failures as well!!