Opinions wanted, not a thread for huggy lovey lets get along crap

H
halibuthitman
So today I had the joy of having a conversation with a rather famous writer/flyfisherman... and the subject of beads came up.. yeah that old chestnut,he said beads are for lazy newbies, so I said " well if your gonna throw a truck and trailer set-up under a thingamabobber on a boron rod you might as well use bait" and he hung up on me... Im just a dirty beader I guess, but if you can't take the heat... stay out of the kitchen. So, if you had to pick one fly or aspect of flyfishing that you had to vote to make illegal for fly only water... what would it be? I pick foam on dryflies- please do not be insulting in your responses in this thread, but being passionate is a virtue I do not wish for you to restrain-

R
redhawk50
I would say those gear lanyards that people wear around their necks. People see that and assume all of us are wacky and tricked out on gear. Now I love my gear don't get me wrong but do they really need all that stuff instantly accessible? I Do love tying me some foam fly patterns though, but could adjust if need be.

O
OnTheFly
What? Foam on a dry fly? Well Pilgram that's about the damndest thing I ever heard. sorry just kidding...you said no insults. That's what Drian Silvey does for the top or indicator fly. He ties some sort of foam back stone fly looking thing that is unsinkable. Sometimes the fish will hit it instead of the dropper therefore giving you double chances to hook up. In New Zealand they make indicators out of colored synthetic yarn or macrome material. i don't mind flies made with foam. My vote is to do away with the Thingamabobber.

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
Are you talking about Egg Beads, or Beads on nymphs?? Cause I've heard it said beaded nymphs are for......... :think:

If I were to choose to expel a certain material or fly style from fly only water, it would be something like that "Squidroe" fly and what it is mainly composed of. Rubber and silicone material. Hell, I like the stuff in some accent usage and legs, but a bass jig has no place in fly only waters like the N. Ump.

brandon4455
brandon4455
hhhhm.. i say split shot no bueno just use a heavy fly.beads catch fish... even fly fishing guides use them with a bobber and a heavier fly some people floss with em though thats the only downside i see to beads, i dont think they should be outlawed in fly waters though.

H
halibuthitman
brandon4455 said:
hhhhm.. i say split shot no bueno just use a heavy fly.beads catch fish... even fly fishing guides use them with a bobber and a heavier fly some people floss with em though thats the only downside i see to beads, i dont think they should be outlawed in fly waters though.
no split shot! wow, i,d never catch another steelhead in my life... well, if it gets rid of that wacky lanyard, and the squidroe then I guess I could spend $60,000 on spey rods and wallets full of sink tips and all that other ****.... gonna have to hire some kid to carry all my chicken sized flies though... hey, we just legislated in a new job industry, the fly and sink tip wallet caddy!

M
Metoman
If you want to outlaw foam on dries then you've never tried a chubby chernobyl! :lol: haha, kidding aside, I don't think there should be anything changed in the current regs for fly-only water. ^And split shot is already illegal.

F
FlyBum
Lanyards are for guys who are trying to hang themselves when they are trying to get away from their wives. Split shot is just backup amo for the BB gun, and as for the caddy, well that's why you should take your girlfriend out fishing. Not only can she carry your gear, but she can make a hell of a sandwich too. :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
no split shot! wow, i,d never catch another steelhead in my life... well, if it gets rid of that wacky lanyard, and the squidroe then I guess I could spend $60,000 on spey rods and wallets full of sink tips and all that other ****.... gonna have to hire some kid to carry all my chicken sized flies though... hey, we just legislated in a new job industry, the fly and sink tip wallet caddy!
i use split shot..works damn good..but i wouldnt mind siwtching over to an orange tungsten beadhead nymph in fly only water. i know split shot is illegal in the north umpqua fly section, didn't know it was fly waters in general

F
FlyBum
brandon4455 said:
i use split shot..works damn good..but i wouldnt mind siwtching over to an orange tungsten beadhead nymph in fly only water. i know split shot is illegal in the north umpqua fly section, didn't know it was fly waters in general

Can't use it on the Met too. Don't have the regs handy but think the Fall River as well. I don't like using shot anyways on my knuckle dragers either, I just tie my stuff heavier and hope it sinks. Also, fake led wire SUX!

H
halibuthitman
Metoman said:
If you want to outlaw foam on dries then you've never tried a chubby chernobyl! :lol: haha, kidding aside, I don't think there should be anything changed in the current regs for fly-only water. ^And split shot is already illegal.
I don't wish to change anything either.. its a hypothetical thread... gotta be something that bugs ya:D

F
FlyBum
Fishing vest should be done away with! Might as well show up with your Hello Kitty lunchbox and a can of Folgers full of worms. You know, the Dora the Explorer types. :lol:

Last edited:
S
steelhead_stalkers
halibuthitman said:
So today I had the joy of having a conversation with a rather famous writer/flyfisherman... and the subject of beads came up.. yeah that old chestnut,he said beads are for lazy newbies, so I said " well if your gonna throw a truck and trailer set-up under a thingamabobber on a boron rod you might as well use bait" and he hung up on me...

That's hilarious! Beads have accounted for a lot of steelhead this year.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Come on now, Brad...you know you want to hug...:lol::lol:

S
Sinkline
I'm a redneck with a flyrod (not Boron) so I find nothing offensive about any part of current flyfishing stuff. I hang a tractor & trailer below a bobber and sometimes a triple trailer. If I had my way, using a spinning rod with a slide bobber hanging nymphs would be legal in flyfishin' only waters. :cool:

Bye the way, I hate golf culture also! :lol:

Randy

brandon4455
brandon4455
well even if it would not be considered fly fishing they are using little nymphs like us so it wouldnt hurt anything.. it would allow both fly and spin fisherman to fish fly only waters without any harm done to the fish. i believe it is like that down on the rogue?

H
halibuthitman
well I don't believe in fly-only water either,
or nascar,
or golf,
or television,
or the trickle down theory... but they are all here to stay-

brandon4455
brandon4455
yeah. i use to think fly only water was cool.. but then i looked at it like this, what if there were gear fishing only waters? :lol: that wouldn't be fair.. i think flies & lures only with single hooks is the way to go. just say'n

O
OnTheFly
I think they should do away with drift boats in fly fishing only waters. Or maybe just the aluminum ones.

H
halibuthitman
OnTheFly said:
I think they should do away with drift boats in fly fishing only waters. Or maybe just the aluminum ones.

thats just stupid jim... everyone knows that aluminum is an element, so natural... now glass drift boats....get em outta there! and no flies like the one in your avatar... what the hell is that thing...looks like Andy Warhol barfed on your tying bench! ( for all of you youngsters ( flybum ) A. W was a guy that did REALLY shipoopy pop art, art that looks like the stuff my two year old daughter makes while eating toast )

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom