Opinions wanted, not a thread for huggy lovey lets get along crap

S
Sinkline
I think I'm a redneck yuppy? Is that possible?

I only bought Orvis reels cause they are made in Korea so they don't qualify for consideration as an Orvis-ite item! So there! :lol:

I don't have a vest, or a lanyard, and if I want Flybum's fishin' spot I ain't waitin' till he's done! I do have a retractor gizmo for my little nipper gizmo clipped on my tube. I'm so confused..., I don't know where I fit in??? :think:

I can't believe Brad wears those waders with a zipper! Wait..., those are way more stylin' than the old brown neoprenes I wear year around. :think: :(

The more I think about this, the more I see that I ain't no fly fisherman! :shock:

Randy

brandon4455
brandon4455
steelhead_stalkers said:
You should not be allowed to say you hooked 16 steelhead when you had your thingamabobber set at 13 ft in a 2 ft riffle and counted every take down as a hookup. :lol:
hahahaha :lol:

B
bigsteel
halibuthitman said:
whoooa, If you read the firts post you would know the precurser to this post was me having a nice fun conversation with someone I thought was above this very kind of ****... and he became insulting to the bead culture I reside in, so I slammed his in a joke.. poor baby couldn't take it, this forum has been very boring lately and I wanted to see a thread people could have fun with, and everyone knows if you want to see a conversation go nuts bring up personal views in fly fishing... its all in fun, more or less making fun of ourselves as a group effort.. this thread should not be taken personal. a lot of folks think religion and politics should never be talked about in a bar becouse its too passionate and controversal, there has never been a more controversial or opinionated topic in history as how to catch a fish right... so this thread didn't start it, but it mocks it.... I wear zipper waders, throw shot, swing chickens, drift thingamabobbers drink beer and sometimes wear a funny hat, but no matter what anyone says... a lanyard with 6 spools of tippet a knot tier, pliers, floatant, sinkant, sunglasses two empty film containers that used to be full of weed, a lighter and 14 other things is gay.... big fat man huggin gay- this is a thread about making fun of our own... and ourselves, and the hypocracy of telling anyone how they can fish.... sorry if that offends anybody-
film containers with no weed in them:think: what is this world coming to,you need to be more prepared:D

brandon4455
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
film containers with no weed in them:think: what is this world coming to,you need to be more prepared:D

hehehehe

C
CFishRun
My Cherry-Poppin, Pole bending, Fly fishing folly...Rogue River (Not what you think)
(Tom Wolfe Anyone?)

Any how...my first dive into fly fishing captures all of these posts. I go out with my pal on a stealheading trip to the Rogue river (Grand Rapids, MI) and he walks up with a sage rod (hat to match), neoprenes, 80 pocket vest, sun-goggles with the string tie and a lanyard with everything but the film containers. I felt a little under-dressed, sporting waders and a spinning outfit. "Is this fly only water?"
"Nope, but I'd thought I'd try and swing some flies," he blasted, carving the air with his new rod.
"Ok, how do we get down to the water and why did we meet at this gas station?"
"We gotta fuel up bro...can't hit the water without refreshments."
That seemed right, so we headed in side for a water and some jerky. Nope...he B-lined it straight for the beer cooler. He grabbed an arm full of Foster's oil cans and headed for the check out. "I'll get the beers if you grab us some jerky," he yelled across the two isles and past the nervous patrons. I obliged and grabbed up some jerky and we got to walking.

It was a balmy 80 degrees that day and neoprene waders seemed more like wool blankets wrapped around my sweat-drenched jeans. The hill behind the gas station was steep and I could tell I was going to tumble straight down the hill into the river. And I did, hitting the water with a splash and a stumble. He laughed, "way to scare all the fish, we aint even gonna get a bite now!" It wasn't my floundering that would lock jaw these fish, it was noon and 80 degrees, these fish wouldn't even be in this little river, I thought...half-way out loud.

We got to "the spot" and shouldered in-line between me and ten of my new friends. It looked like a motley crew, that went in order: Sage, St. Croix, Walmart, Orvis, Walmart, Quantum, Walmart, Quantum, Croix, Orvis, Walmart, all in a neat line. I was on the Quantum team and my friend was elbowing up to one of his Sage buddies. Well I get rigged up and made a cast, swinging a bobber and hair jig rig. After I sent a few more casts I look over and see my buddy finally ending his conversation about how and where he and Mr. Sage got their rods. Well he wades in and then he wades a little further, and then he creeps out a little more...then a little more. Before he gets over his waders I say, "where the hell are you going, your creeping into my drift?"
He mumbles back, "I'm setting up for a drift, relax...just cast out further." The river is thirty feet wide where was I supposed to cast, I thought. And then I see him pull out ten feet of line, steeple cast and lay out ten feet of line. He couldn't cast, all his gumption, all the gear, the clothes, the talk and he couldn't make a twenty foot cast. I didn't laugh out loud but I grinned ear to ear and as I remember this; I sit typing, grinning ear to ear.

S
steelhead_stalkers
If you are not standing ON the fish you are not truly fly fishing. ;) I used to see that a lot when I fished the Trinity River for steel.

E
eggs
Yea we don't catch fish we kick em.

M
Mad dog
What is that saying about insanity? "Repeating the same exact thing over and over but expecting different results"....something like that! Why would anyone want to purposely limits their methods or thechniques? Doesn't make any sense! I always think this when I watch flyfishermen fishing the swing....I guess the just get in the rythm of it and keep on chucking....even if the fish don't want it! Ya, sometimes the change flies, but then return to the old T-snap, mend and swing....just about like throwing a spinner! :D

I watched 2 guys fishing the North river last year....had California plates on their rig. :rolleyes: One was up on the bank directing his buddy where to cast to a very nice sized summer fish. Dude's cast could really get it out there....nice and tight!!! The spot was an impossible place to flyfish steelhead in the low clear water using the technique they were attempting....lined the hell out of that fish! It went from acting uninterested, to a little figety and nervous, to eventually retreating to the far side of the ledge and hiding under a crevease....it had seen enough! As they were leaving we exchage pleasantries and they asked the usual questions about how the fishing had been lately....I replied pretty good and that my son had caught a couple on nymphs the day before. The commented that they hadn't caught any in two days but had rose one that morning.....rose one that morning! Wow...rose one that morning!!! Like that had any value to me! Rose one that morning....only means something if it means something to you! Don't mean jack to me! I would rather catch fish! Of course I didn't tell them that we had caught 6 or 7 already that morning! ;)

V
Van
Quantity of fish is not an over riding imperative to most fly fishermen.

F
FlyBum
Sinkline said:
I think I'm a redneck yuppy? Is that possible? ..... and if I want Flybum's fishin' spot I ain't waitin' till he's done!

Yes that is possible, cause I am too, I think :) Also that's why I carry the Bear Mace and a 45, just in case I get encroached upon. Be it a beast or a bear.

And an aside: Fishing for steelhead on the swing is a wonderful thing. The feel of the grab of a fish that chased that fly down is that of euphoria. I've caught them other ways but that's my favorite. Just a different method. :)

Time to put on my blue nitrile gloves, attach the shot and smear on the smelly jelly. Oh ya, why do the bait chuckers use nitrile golves? Always wondered that...

S
steelhead_stalkers
It helps keep human scent off of the lures and bait. Mostly used when fishing for Chinook (they smell in parts per billion) but it probably would not hurt for steelhead either. :D Plus roe can stain the hands pretty bad so it helps with that too.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
FlyBum said:
Yes that is possible, cause I am too, I think :) Also that's why I carry the Bear Mace and a 45, just in case I get encroached upon. Be it a beast or a bear.

And an aside: Fishing for steelhead on the swing is a wonderful thing. The feel of the grab of a fish that chased that fly down is that of euphoria. I've caught them other ways but that's my favorite. Just a different method. :)

Time to put on my blue nitrile gloves, attach the shot and smear on the smelly jelly. Oh ya, why do the bait chuckers use nitrile golves? Always wondered that...

Cuz the funky crap in their bait makes their beer and Doritos taste funny if they don't?

Top Bottom