One reason I tie my own . . .

John3
John3
. . . hand-tied (left) vs. store bought (right) . . .

• IMG_0376.jpeg
Reactions: Markk, Rogersjd, notaspeyguy and 1 other person
N
notaspeyguy
Good enough reason right there...you get to pick materials and methods that you can have confidence in...looks like an SRC or steelie getter for sure!

Reactions: John3
troutdude
troutdude
notaspeyguy said:
Good enough reason right there...you get to pick materials and methods that you can have confidence in...looks like an SRC or steelie getter for sure!
Looks like a Borden Special…a legendary fly made specifically for SRC’s/Bluebacks.

Reactions: John3 and notaspeyguy
N
notaspeyguy
It is indeed...my home water (the Alsea) is where it and the similar Alsea Special were developed...I have a box full of different sizes and variations...very important SRC pattern...We also tie them in size 4 and 2 for late summer and early winter steel on the Siletz...Sorry @John3, didn't mean to hijack you there...Nice tying of a wonderful pattern!!

Reactions: Rogersjd, troutdude and John3
John3
John3
Thanks for the compliments . . . I’m just getting into it after a thirteen year layoff.

Reactions: troutdude
John3
John3
notaspeyguy said:
It is indeed...my home water (the Alsea) is where it and the similar Alsea Special were developed...I have a box full of different sizes and variations...very important SRC pattern...We also tie them in size 4 and 2 for late summer and early winter steel on the Siletz...Sorry @John3, didn't mean to hijack you there...Nice tying of a wonderful pattern!!

Reactions: allforthefish
N
notaspeyguy
Mutt's nuts right there...size 6? The JC is a nice touch, an eye of some kind helps when swingin' 'em

John3
John3
notaspeyguy said:
Mutt's nuts right there...size 6? The JC is a nice touch, an eye of some kind helps when swingin' 'em
My own pattern . . . I named it ”Borden’s Super“ . . . the hook is a #5 Spey hook.

Reactions: notaspeyguy and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
notaspeyguy said:
Cool beans. Great looking variant of Bob Borden's legendary pattern.

His son Ryan used to be on this forum. But haven't heard much from him for a while.

portlandrain
portlandrain
@John3 @notaspeyguy
How do you all fish this? Do you swing it? Sink tip at all? Or is it stripped in?

John3
John3
portlandrain said:
@John3 @notaspeyguy
How do you all fish this? Do you swing it? Sink tip at all? Or is it stripped in?
As a rule :

Fast water = swing

Slow water = stripped

. . . but rules are made to be broken . . .

I seldom fish a sinking line or leader.

hobster
hobster
That is an absolutely beautiful looking fly. Well done!

Reactions: John3
hobster
hobster
I have never fly fished for bluebacks. We catch quite a few while trolling for Coho in the coastal lakes. I have always wanted to fly fish for them, maybe it’s time

N
notaspeyguy
John3 said:
As a rule :

Fast water = swing

Slow water = stripped

This is on target...I will fish a bigger, sz 1 or 1/0 version for winter steel swung on a sink tip or sz 6 swung dry line style for summers and stripped in froggy sections for SRC...remember, we wrote the rules and the fish rarely follow them ;)

Reactions: portlandrain
portlandrain
portlandrain
John3 said:
As a rule :

Fast water = swing

Slow water = stripped

Thanks! Also, if you don't mind, are you fishing this in tidewater, or up higher into a system?

N
notaspeyguy
portlandrain said:
Thanks! Also, if you don't mind, are you fishing this in tidewater, or up higher into a system?
I don't mean to step in front of @John3 here...We fish this pattern in every part of the system...in summer, we rarely tie on any other fly except a more natural baitfish pattern to specifically target SRC...We've had success 30-40 river miles up...I think that all depends on your river, but if you have SRC and steel they'll eat it

portlandrain
portlandrain
notaspeyguy said:
I don't mean to step in front of @John3 here...We fish this pattern in every part of the system...in summer, we rarely tie on any other fly except a more natural baitfish pattern to specifically target SRC...We've had success 30-40 river miles up...I think that all depends on your river, but if you have SRC and steel they'll eat it
Awesome, thanks! I need to find a good version locally. I don't tie myself and bought a couple online that did not hold up well.

N
notaspeyguy
Hi @portlandrain...sorry for the late response...you may have some difficulty finding this pattern in a shop as it is sort of a local pattern to the central coast...judging by your handle, you're in Portland? If so, you have way more access to fly shops than us down here in coastal boonies...call around and send some emails with pics...also ask them if they know of any custom tyers that can help...if I was in a better situation I'd do some up for ya, just not there at the moment...good luck!

N
njb51
Nice tie what size hook?