No love at Commonwealth

bass
bass
I took my 8 year old (Zach) to Commonwealth on Sunday to try and wrangle up some carp. I missed a bite right away - I waited on setting the hook, but the biter went away. A short while later Zach hooked one on his Pirates of the Caribbean rod. Unfortunately the line is really old 4lb test and broke on the second run. Zach just does not like still fishing all that much so shortly after that Zach wanted to go to the playground by the outflow of the pond (I prefer the inflow end for winter carp). So we went down by the playground and he played while I tossed my rods in but I did not get any bites there. I do not think I have ever received a winter carp bite at that end of the lake. Oh well, that is the way it goes. I wish they had built a playground at the other end of the lake :)

So to summarize, had a few bites one of which was hooked for about 45 minutes of fishing at the inflow end of the pond. Moved to the other end and no bites in an hour or so of fishing.

S
Spydeyrch
Very cool man. I didn't know there were carp in that lake. I might have to try for them at some point. :think: At least your son had a fun time on the playground, right. :lol:

-Spydey

R
ryan808
Bass, that's the same story with my son, lol. You should try Bethany, there are a ton of carp in that lake.

bass
bass
Spydeyrch said:
Very cool man. I didn't know there were carp in that lake. I might have to try for them at some point. :think: At least your son had a fun time on the playground, right. :lol:

-Spydey

Commonwealth is pretty good for carp - especially in the winter. As Ryan pointed out Bethany also has a very good carp population. A third good place is the pond at Murrayhill shopping center. We usually end up at Commonwealth because of the playground although some days I do take Zach's bike and we go to Bethany so he can ride around when he gets bored :) He loves fishing with a bobber, or with lures. However, he really just can't get behind bottom fishing even when they are biting well. It is hard to rally him in the winter.

bass
bass
ryan808 said:
Bass, that's the same story with my son, lol. You should try Bethany, there are a ton of carp in that lake.

Thanks Ryan. Yeah, sitting still is not in Zach's (or most boys) skill sets :)

We fish Bethany some times, but he usually insists on Commonwealth because of the playground. Some times I bring his bike if we go to Bethany. In the winter, we usually do better for carp at Commonwealth, but I have to admit we do go there far more often.

J
john montana
commonwealth is tough on the fly...those fish see many people are and pretty spooky. i've caught 'em on bait with my kids there. good spot for kids due to the playground. might have to take mine out there soon.

bass
bass
john montana said:
commonwealth is tough on the fly...those fish see many people are and pretty spooky. i've caught 'em on bait with my kids there. good spot for kids due to the playground. might have to take mine out there soon.

The one thing that always irks me is that we do well (on bait) in the winter at the inflow end, but I have not done well at the playground end for carp in the winter. Once they stock it, there are always tons of trout near the dam area and so fishing there is fine once stocking occurs. I am not sure if part of the issue is how far down the lake is drawn down right now. I would be curious if anyone has caught a carp near the playground in the winter.

F
Finneus Polebender
ryan808 said:

Always does pretty good at TRs ..... course there he doesn't have much time to sit and get bored :D. Should head out to the tractor pond with Shane and Teddy Montana start up a nice fire and try for some winter carp monsters!

R
ryan808
FP, yeah its a different story when it comes to bass he's all over them.

Bass, let me know the next time your going for carp, Ive never fished for them and always wanted to try. If Zack needs a play mate, Ill bring my son and they can keep each other company and we can catch fish,lol.

I
igquick
Hi bass, ive never been to commonwealth lake park and I was wondering where I would have the best of luck...im looking at it using google maps and, correct me if im wrong, there is a small playground on the east end and a soccer field on the west end

bass
bass
igquick said:
Hi bass, ive never been to commonwealth lake park and I was wondering where I would have the best of luck...im looking at it using google maps and, correct me if im wrong, there is a small playground on the east end and a soccer field on the west end

Sorry I did not see this sooner. I do much better at the inflow end (opposite end from soccer fields and play structure) this time of year. This is the North-East end of the lake. I hope you get this in time for it to be useful. If you ever ask a question and I don't answer, it is because I did not see the question. Feel free to ping me with a PM if I do not respond. Good luck.

I
igquick
What bait were you using?

bass
bass
I was using corn. I soaked some of it with vanilla and sugar and some in cod liver oil and had some with just salt. We had good bites on the vanilla and the cod liver oil. I like using corn in cold water since it stays soft. I often make doughball when the water is a bit warmer. In the really cold water it often feels like the doughball stays too hard. I would guess bread balls would be great as well although I usually do not bring that.

Good luck, there are quite a few in there (and in Bethany which is also nearby).

I
igquick
have you tried a hair rig before?

bass
bass
igquick said:
have you tried a hair rig before?

No, I have not. I am sure it would be effective, but I keep it simple for carp. Usually we fish ultralight tackle and then either a small sliding sinker and swivel no weight at all. In the winter we do not have to worry about weeds or anything so 4lb test is fine.

J
john montana
It ain't commonwealth, but I am on the board for 2013!

da24b84ba1a1dbf21f657dec16bea9fb_zpsd96b1aa2.jpg

On a hybrid soft hackle...landed three.

You guys should swing by Royal Treatment fly shop and say hi Saturday...I will be talking carp on the fly at 1000.

I
igquick
Nice carp john?! How many lbs? Its freakin giagantic!....

Im trying to get into fly fishing for carp this year so my question is: is a 6 wt to 7wt fly rod fine for carp? Im thinking of buying a cheap setup like 70 bucks give or take

And do you have a fly fishing channel on youtube?

J
john montana
That fish was 18. I caught two others that were about 8-9 lbs each.

A 7 wt is a good place to start...I have a couple of youtube vids, but not much. My blog or Facebook page is the best way to find me...I keep the Facebook page pretty active.

I
igquick
Found the facebook one...have you caught a grass carp with a fly rod before?