New to salmon!

P
pdx_owl
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker here. Finally joining and hoping to find new fishing tips and advice. I started fishing earlier this year so that I could have an activity for when I go out camping. So far 5 fish!

I like the lakes and mainly do bank fishing. However, I would really like to fish for salmon. Right now, I've got a standard license with an inexpensive fishing pole. Can anyone shine some light on what type of gear i need for salmon? Also, any areas for catching salmon off the bank? I'm in SE PDX and am willing to drive out for the adventure. I have lots to learn and hope to expand.

Any help is appreciated and happy to join the community!

N
nicholas
Hello and welcome! first of all, you need to get a combined angling tag before you try to fish for salmon. That costs $26.50. As for gear, I am still kind of figuring that out myself, but I know that it is recommended to use at least 20 lb mainline, and a leader that is slightly lighter (the idea being that if you get snagged, you can break off the leader and keep everything above that.) If you have the specs for your rod and reel, it might help people tell you if they are sufficient for salmon fishing. One more big thing is location. most of the coastal rivers have salmon in tidewater right now, but the Sandy and Deschutes rivers should also have some good numbers, and in SE Portland, the Sandy will probably be your closest option. Welcome to the forum and good luck!

E
eugene1
Cool!

Welcome, indeed.

Any photos of your fish so far?

As mentioned by nicholas you'll need to upgrade your license to fish for salmon.

Best,

pdx_owl said:
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker here. Finally joining and hoping to find new fishing tips and advice. I started fishing earlier this year so that I could have an activity for when I go out camping. So far 5 fish!

I like the lakes and mainly do bank fishing. However, I would really like to fish for salmon. Right now, I've got a standard license with an inexpensive fishing pole. Can anyone shine some light on what type of gear i need for salmon? Also, any areas for catching salmon off the bank? I'm in SE PDX and am willing to drive out for the adventure. I have lots to learn and hope to expand.

Any help is appreciated and happy to join the community!

N
nicholas
Oh, and I forgot to mention, you may need the new Columbia Basin Endorsement, depending on which rivers you plan to fish.

jamisonace
jamisonace
My first Oregon salmon came on a $19.99 piece of crap rod and reel combo from Walmart. Don't think you need anything spendy.

Minimum for rod: 10-20lb

I use 25lb mainline and 20lb leader.....usually. Lots of people use much heavier.

P
pdx_owl
Wow! Thanks so much for the advice.
I have been wondering how the lines work and how the test plays a factor. That helps clear that up for me!

I've got an 8ft fishing pole, inexpensive Walmart brand as well. It's a "Shakespeare tiger" if that means anything.

I've been doing research almost daily on the DFW website and think that the sandy is my best bet? I was thinking oxbow park this weekend? Any input on this?

W
Work2Fish
Welcome!

I'm actually in the same boat, so to speak. Just started fishing for salmon/steelhead this year, including buying all the gear. I did a lot of research/asked a bunch of people about size of rod, type of reel, what lb test, etc. The setup I went with is a 9'-6" Lamiglas X-11, with a Daiwa Lexa 300 series casting reel. The reel itself was double the cost of the rod, but I hope to make it last through many seasons. I absolutely love the reel. I just switched to the baitcasting reels, and I will never go back. You will have the occasional "spool-up" that takes some time and patience to undo. But, you can adjust the rate at which the lines spools out, which will decrease the down time spent messing around with your rats nest.

As for the rod; absolutely EVERYONE has a different point of view. In all honesty, you just need to go down to the store and feel multiple rods and see what you like. As for length, 9'-6" is more than enough for me. The X-11 specifically is an ok rod. I already had to replace it once (under warranty) because the part that you cinch down the reel broke free from the rod itself, and was freely spinning. However, I did get a brand new rod out of the deal, but I do run the risk of this happening again. I spoke to a woman at Sportsman's, and she said that problem specifically happens frequently with those rods. Last years model had a problem with breaking. It is the Chinese counterpart of the American-built Lamiglas. The next rod I purchase will MOST DEFINITELY be American Made. Good luck out there.