New fisherman help please salmon/steelhead fishing

B
bigd610
Hello, I am very new to the area and very green to Salmon/Steelhead Fishing. Have been fishing a whole lot though however where I am from all you have is Bass, trout and catfish. None of them require much skill to catch. Just bought me a new Jet sled boat to get around on the rivers adn tidewater. However I have a problem. I have no darn idea how to catch Salmon or Steelhead (and I dont think they like nightcrawlers) so what I am looking for is someone who can kill a day or so with me and my brother on our boat and maybe help us out a bit. Just kind of show us the ropes. Not looking for a fishing guide per say just someone who wants to go out and fish with us that knows what they are doing on the Siuslaw or Umpquoa or if anybody knows where we can turn for such help please let us know.
Dan

G
grampa ron
new to the area

new to the area

Hi Dan,

Welcome to OFF.

I have fishing this area for 30 yrs. I have had several boats. I have caught a lot of Salmon in the tide waters of the Siusilaw, Umpqua and Coos Bay. I have also fished most of the lakes within a days drive. I am semi retired and usually have quite a bit of rime on my hands. I would be happy to help you guys learn the ropes.
Call if you want. Ron 541-912-6089

P
plumb2fish
Chinook and Coho are getting scarce in both of those rivers in tide water....best time of year is September....Tillamook would be your best bet til springers show in March on the Willy and Columbia. Not saying it isn't possible to catch fish on either of the above estuaries, but if you do you are doing better than most....

Last edited:
R
reelguy
happy to help

happy to help

bigd610 said:
Hello, I am very new to the area and very green to Salmon/Steelhead Fishing. Have been fishing a whole lot though however where I am from all you have is Bass, trout and catfish. None of them require much skill to catch. Just bought me a new Jet sled boat to get around on the rivers adn tidewater. However I have a problem. I have no darn idea how to catch Salmon or Steelhead (and I dont think they like nightcrawlers) so what I am looking for is someone who can kill a day or so with me and my brother on our boat and maybe help us out a bit. Just kind of show us the ropes. Not looking for a fishing guide per say just someone who wants to go out and fish with us that knows what they are doing on the Siuslaw or Umpquoa or if anybody knows where we can turn for such help please let us know.
Dan

I have been pretty sucsseful on both of those rivers, I am always happy to help somebody learn how to salmon fish. if you would like to fish soometime shoot me a tet or all me at (503)260-7856. -Brian

madasahab
madasahab
bigd610 said:
Dan

Welcome to Salmon and Steelhead fishing...get yourself a good therapist and join a 12 step group...oh and stock up on tomato juice to wash off the skunk...better yet, save your money and go fish Alaska where there are actually fish to catch...

:(