My name is Tom and I have a 8wt :)

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
halibuthitman said:
Ok Tom.. I didn't want to tell this story... but it might make you feel better.
Last month I was in a pretty bad spot with my wife, her car had broken down 3 times in 4 months and I wasn't really ready to buy a new car.. but to get out of hot water I went and bought her a Toyota Highlander, now we have had this car 3 weeks and I had driven it home from the lot... thats it, so last friday I decided that the fly section of the N umpqua could no longer be ignored, so I stole her car and off I went. so I stopped at the first raft take-out and fished some adoreable water but the wanderlust got me deciding I needed to see where all that pretty water was coming from so I threw my rod broke down to 2 pieces on the back seat and off I went, a couple turns up the river a logging truck came down the road driving English style ( in my lane ) and I slammed the brakes.... well apparently not being well versed on the locking mechanism on the 2011 highlanders back seat it slammed forward with a resounding clunk.. which also inclueded a quite foriegn sound.. kind of a crsplatchunk... and I turned my Hardy Zane into a tomato splint in one second... and it was the only rod I brought, and fun little fact, apparently the most famous steel head river in the world does not have a flyshop anywhere near it that I could find... and I would love for someone to tell me where I missed it... Roseburg is an intersting little town:(

Bad break man, *bada boom*.. That Sage is one of the nicest things I have ever owned but I don't think I will ever buy a rod that spendy again. They are just too fragile. Sage did give me a new tip section but I still need to get it wrapped.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
youngbuck307 said:
Well I emailed Redington asking what could be done on there end but going to have fishing freak take it to the fly shop tomorrow and see what they say about it....

And I found a fly spinning combo bigdog gave me a while back had top inch broke on it and I needed a rod to use at the time so he gave it to me... Seems like it's really skinny for a 8wt but what it says... Now I got a fly reel might as well try it out! Lol if I get into anything I'll see If fishing freak can't get some video

haha nice. I once went catfishing with a fly rod when I was out with my cousin. I just pinched on a ton of weight and swung it helicopter style over my head while I let the line out and launched it. A game warden actually came over to see what the hell I was doing... I didn't have a license with me but he was so distracted by what I was doing with the rod he didn't even ask for it haha.... Oh wait, am I a mod?

H
halibuthitman
Thanks zen.. and I feel your pain, but I offer this advice,
never buy a cheap mattress,
never buy cheap shoes,
and never buy a cheap flyrod...
I have several rifles that cost well over $500-$1000 bucks,, I rarely shoot them, they gather dust, now my flyrods I pull the trigger on every week, all year..... I will replace the Zane with a Thomas&Thomas... and believe me.. you should do the same, you are a fisherman.. have a fishermans tools-

J
joesnuffy
TAKE IT BACK!!!!! DON'T START FLYFISHING!!!!!

just kidding of course. congrats on the new purchase

B
bigsteel
i broke the handle half off my fly rod and i just throught the reel in my waders and kept fishin,,it happens bro

G
GDBrown
You guys are too rough on your equipment. I've fished for 40 years and only broken one tip and that was on my ultralight spinning rod last year. I tossed it in the back of the pickup tip forward and my waders on top. When that &*(^%$% guy cut me OFF at the crossroad I slide every thing forward with a jolt! Now I have a special place under the deck for rods so that won't happen again. Oh, then there was the time.... Dang maybe I'm not that good with my equipment either.

You'll enjoy fly fishing if you can get past the frustration....

Welcome to the Bright side!!!!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
halibuthitman said:
Thanks zen.. and I feel your pain, but I offer this advice,
never buy a cheap mattress,
never buy cheap shoes,
and never buy a cheap flyrod...
I have several rifles that cost well over $500-$1000 bucks,, I rarely shoot them, they gather dust, now my flyrods I pull the trigger on every week, all year..... I will replace the Zane with a Thomas&Thomas... and believe me.. you should do the same, you are a fisherman.. have a fishermans tools-

Indeed. I have not looked around at different brands but the next rod buy will have a guaranty similar to the plan offered by Loomis. They did replace my tip free of charge but convincing them to do it was a PITA as the rod was wrapped by a friend who is not affiliated with Sage. They wouldn't wrap it because of this, I only got the blank. I was fine with this.

M
Markcanby
I have only ever broke 1 rod a UL when I was 12. Man you guys are tough on your gear. Remind me not to let any of you guys barrow my gear.
Oh Ryan808 did a face plant on my SST last year but I got a real nice custom 6wt out of so its ok.

Y
youngbuck307
Waders and boots go so quick in part because I fish the sandy a lot.... Sand gets everywhere there. But I break way to many rods been fishing hard last 3 years or so and probably have 5 rods I have done some thing to and can't be used any more

G
GDBrown
Slow down!:rolleyes: Fishing is suppose to be relaxing.....:mad: You have your whole life ahead of you to fish.:think: I thought I had to fish all the time when I was younger because I thought the fish would be gone by the time I was ready to retire and it didn't happen. I'm still fishing and catch just as many fish. ( I wasn't very good back then either!:wall::protest::redface:)

Y
youngbuck307
Lmao me slow down yea right!!! That won't happen till my health forces me to! Don't think more than 2 weeks have go e by without me on the river in the last 3 years... Fishing is just me! Do anything and everything I got to to go. Fishing is me!

Ps fishing freak took it back to the fly shop have new rod in 7-10 days

M
metalfisher76
:clap:

On both accounts:)

F
FishFiddle
Hey Damon, He sounds like a GROUNDNPOUNDER too! Hope you don't break anything but your gear a chasin those steel. It's about time for me to do some ground poundin myself. I'm a thinking........maybe...