My favorite place to be!!!!

S
strawberry shortcake
Either the little stretch of river I fish has no steelhead or salmon in it, or I suck at this kind of fishing. One thing I learned, the salmon egg leader loops worked okay but I think I will go with the netting bag. The fast current degrades exposed eggs.

I was thinking about going to the lake today but got a call from the wireless folks saying they would be here sometime today to install wireless internet. It takes me 10 minutes on dial-up to get onto this forum so for now the fish will have to wait till Monday since this weekend I am going shooting. I do love fishing and shooting.

H
Hawk
strawberry shortcake said:
Either the little stretch of river I fish has no steelhead or salmon in it, or I suck at this kind of fishing. One thing I learned, the salmon egg leader loops worked okay but I think I will go with the netting bag. The fast current degrades exposed eggs.

I was thinking about going to the lake today but got a call from the wireless folks saying they would be here sometime today to install wireless internet. It takes me 10 minutes on dial-up to get onto this forum so for now the fish will have to wait till Monday since this weekend I am going shooting. I do love fishing and shooting.

Here on the mountain i had dialup fer 3 lustrums but recently got high speed internet with Frontier

It's REEL fast...:lol::lol::lol:

They have started me with a $24.99 per month rate, first year, plus taxes.

free installation, except fer parts.

I reely like it so far...:D

S
strawberry shortcake
They don't have highspeed into Wallowa County yet (I checked), though they are now my business phone service provider when they bought out Verizon here in the county. The change over was awful and many people lost service off and on. Plus Wallowa County has only one buried service cable into the county which was cut recently during road repair work. All of us lost service for an entire day. We were not happy but these are the things that happen in this remote area. Wireless is the way to go. I now have an antenna to the wireless receiver located in town. The signal is great! And now I can go fishing!

S
strawberry shortcake
I'm now on wireless and will be working on creating a ranch website soon! Love high speed! Went fishing this evening. Wallowa River is really ramping up for good trout fishing. Caught two 12" hatchery rainbows that fought very well. I even had to play the line a bit. Threw three back in. I've been using #4 hooks because the little fish don't like them but it does make it harder to get a 12"er to bite. Used my homemade wedding rings and worms. The thunderstorms made for a rise in the river plus it was pretty muddy for the end of July. Lots of great fishing holes are showing up now that the water has receded. August will be fabulous! I've got family coming for a visit and we will either be fishing the lake or the Wallowa River. Might get to do both. Good times!

S
strawberry shortcake
The river continues to be a high-catch river for me, in spite of the rain and higher water level (went back up yesterday big time and was muddy). Not as good as last year in terms of number of big fish but still lots and lots of fun. Caught a 13" yesterday and threw 4 or 5 less than 10"ers back in. So far, I'm having an absolute blast of a fishing season.

S
strawberry shortcake
My aunt and uncle arrived from Louisiana. Tomorrow we go fishing so tonight I am tying wedding rings, etc. The river is so muddy with these continued storms that I am even stacking small red/pink/orange beads on with a spinner to top it off, on a plain hook. I'm also using bait keeper hooks. The river is running so swift that it can strip a worm off a barbless shank. I will take my camera with me. Pictures posted when we get back. I hope we don't get skunked.

N
ninja2010
good luck out there... and hope to see some pix. be safe.

troutdude
troutdude
Good luck on that river shorty. I sure would love to have a river like that in my back yard!

S
strawberry shortcake
I'm up early this morning tying a few hooks for myself. You are right about living where I live. I love the county, its people, and the land. It is a privilege not to be taken lightly. The economic situation here is grim but folks just take it in the chin and go on living a quality-filled life, if not a quantity-filled life. While we have our crime and sad situations (who doesn't), it is still God's country here. Though I admit, it would be nice if I could buy a cheap pair of work jeans here instead of driving 65 miles to the nearest BiMart Store. When I was a kid, we could do that through mail order catalogs. We had Wards, Penny's and Sears catalog store fronts here. You walked in, ordered, paid by check or cash, and the stuff was brought to your farm house door. Now we only have the internet and its credit card requirements along with the names of your children, the last time you had a beer, and who you vote for.

However, today is for fishing and I need to tie a few more hooks.

troutdude
troutdude
First of all, just cast your vote for Anatoliy...our terrific OFF administrator. Then, you can list him as a credit card reference! LOL

Also, I'd love to see that spinners that you are whipping. When you get some time, could you post a pic or two?

Have a great time out there!

S
strawberry shortcake
I took a couple pics of my tying. Will post the spinners even if we don't catch fish. The local store is selling homemade wedding rings for $4 bucks! Way over priced. Make your own. You will save a ton of money. And you don't need the wedding ring flasher that goes in the middle. Any bright iridescent, neon, or glow in the dark bead will work, along with a good spinner to top off the beading. Don't scrimp on the spinner clevis hook. Those clevis hooks really get that spinner spinning.

troutdude
troutdude
I agree on all counts. I have made my own Jed Davis design spinners for a LONG time.

What folks don't stop to think about is this: Store bought spinners are bright n' flashy, so fisherpeeps will BUY them! Plus, they are usually so darn flashy that all they do is scare the fish away.

Making your own costs about 1/4 as much, and probably bag 5 times as many fish.

troutdude
troutdude
Nice looking catch!

Those spinners look more like my mom's jewelry than spinners. Which ones have you found work the best?

S
strawberry shortcake
Given the size of a fish's brain, I think it doesn't really matter to them. They don't seem to be fashion conscious (and neither am I). It sure is fun watching them chase after these things. When I first put in, I had just a hook with a worm. Got nibbles but not strikes. So I changed over to one of the beaded ones and actually got to watch fish chase after them. The spinning blade, the colors, and the worm just seems to be irresistible to them. As soon as I get to a bigger town, I will be setting up with smaller graduated sized beads so that I can reduce the overall size of the things. Interesting side note, my uncle bought a packet of hooks that were beaded above the hook with 8 small red seed beads (seed beads are smaller than what you see in the photo). Beading and spinning your leader just might turn out to be the easiest, cheapest, and most versatile lure yet. Wouldn't it be wild if we were to find out this is all there is to it? That the expensive fancy lure on the sports isle is no better than a child's bracelet?

By the way, I ran out of clevis hooks that worked with the smaller spinners I have so I just slid them on through the hole in the spinner. It sits on top of the last bead and seems to spin quite well. Maybe I don't need the clevis hooks for my spinners?

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
strawberry shortcake said:
Given the size of a fish's brain, I think it doesn't really matter to them. They don't seem to be fashion conscious (and neither am I). It sure is fun watching them chase after these things. When I first put in, I had just a hook with a worm. Got nibbles but not strikes. So I changed over to one of the beaded ones and actually got to watch fish chase after them. The spinning blade, the colors, and the worm just seems to be irresistible to them. As soon as I get to a bigger town, I will be setting up with smaller graduated sized beads so that I can reduce the overall size of the things. Interesting side note, my uncle bought a packet of hooks that were beaded above the hook with 8 small red seed beads (seed beads are smaller than what you see in the photo). Beading and spinning your leader just might turn out to be the easiest, cheapest, and most versatile lure yet. Wouldn't it be wild if we were to find out this is all there is to it? That the expensive fancy lure on the sports isle is no better than a child's bracelet?

By the way, I ran out of clevis hooks that worked with the smaller spinners I have so I just slid them on through the hole in the spinner. It sits on top of the last bead and seems to spin quite well. Maybe I don't need the clevis hooks for my spinners?

I learned a long time ago--and after reading Jed Davis' book about making and using spinners--that SIMPLE and PLAIN work GREAT! When that lightbulb flashed within the recesses of my cranial cavity...I also realized the following concept:

Spinners (and other lures) found in a "sporting goods" store, are made w/ flashy components in order to HOOK fisher peeps into buying them. But for the most part, they serve only to spook and scare a fish away!

I haven't purchased "store bought" spinners in a long time (unless I was out in the middle of no where, and was desperate for whatever reason).

S
strawberry shortcake
Just ordered more beads. 3mm, 4mm, and 6mm, various salmon colored, plus center sparkler and a bag of center bead glow in the dark, and spinners. Should be able to bead up wedding rings for less than 50 cents per. My aunt was all kinds of excited about these beaded hooks. She hauled out another 4 fish today. She was by far the better fisher among us. She spent her entire youth fishing that river and it showed today. And she is totally sold on beaded lures.

S
strawberry shortcake
My beads have been shipped so I am getting geared up to create more wedding rings. Can't wait. Will post pictures in the home made spinner thread. Will be using size 6 hooks and 12 lb test leader. Why? I lost a lot of beaded spinners today because I had used 6 lb test and some size 8 hooks. Caught two fish and lots of snags, plus a BIG fish that got away before I could net it. Threw 3 fish back. It just seems that with bigger hooks and more powerful leader, I am sparing the smaller fish and can get out of snags with my lures intact.

S
strawberry shortcake
Spent a peace-filled day on the Wallowa River. The river is low enough that I could criss cross the various channels and fish to my heart's content. Brought back two nice trout, a football, and a tennis ball. The earlier season deluge brought all kinds of treasure onto that little stretch of river. Found lots of new very good fishing holes. I am content as a kitten after supper.

D
Derick
This is such an awesome thread and even though I had a terrible experience on my only trip to the Wallowa area its making me want to go out there again!!!

S
strawberry shortcake
It's a great little river that winds through the valley from Wallowa Lake. It is also the source of the extra water the Lostine River gets when it's too low (via the cross country canal). In the old days, that canal simply dumped water into the Lostine so that farmers could irrigate. It is now used for two purposes, to keep stream flow going for fish habitat, and to irrigate. Part of it is fish-screened now (a terrible mistake made by ivory tower greenies who still, to this day, know nothing about spawning beds).

The river section I fish incurred a lot of downed trees and root balls this year, ending up in the main channel resulting in new channels. The sad part is that it is set up next year for major damming and flooding of pasture areas. My wonderful new fishing holes this year will have to go away in order to save farmland. I haven't had my camera with me (left it in Joseph but it has been found) till today so I will try to get a picture of one of the holes today or tomorrow. Next year, that hole may not be there anymore. But that is a sacrifice worth making. In Wallowa County, as far as I am concerned, agriculture comes first, even if we have to fight the feds or do things our own way. For example, it is no sure thing that my cousins will be allowed to pull some of those water trapping dams out of the main channel, even though that section of river runs through private land and is only lightly regulated for fishing purposes.

Before the settlers came into the county in the 1850's, the valley was mosquito infested swamp land for this very reason. The Indians camped on high ground, not on the valley floor. Trees and debris regularly dammed up the channels, causing vast swamp lands, which is why in some parts of the valley, the soil is about as rich as you can find anywhere, while in others, it's nothing but river gravel bed biscuit-land. Most of the early farms were up in the hills until the rivers could be tamed and the valley floor cleared of swamp brush and trees so that it could be used for crops. Back then, the fields were on the sides of the glacier debris and basalt strewn hills (the good soil migrated down the hills leaving the tops of the hills bare), requiring hill-side equipment. I still have the large counter weight from the hillside combine we had. It looks just like the weight slide on scales, but much, MUCH bigger, and was used in much the same way a typical weight slide is used.

By the way, according to rules and regulations, if you can boat down the river, you have public access, and the Wallowa is considered boatable. You just can't count on that happening every year or even within a year. The Wallowa is a moving, very much alive river that changes its color, clothes, and tune at a moment's notice.

Last edited: