Montana or bust....

F
FlyBum
The "One" was broken on a fish on the Madison just before dark after landing a 20" brown. Another big one grabbed and I didn't see the line wrapped around the tip and it broke off at the tip and above the first stripping guide. Then I broke the 9' 8" 7wt on a telephone wire, and lastly broke the backup Cabala's 5wt on the last day at the Owyhee just taking the rod apart and broke half of the tip section, must have been nicked. Now it's time to warranty all these sticks. Just got everything cleaned up after unpacking and cleaning after a long drive from the O all day yesterday. Then back to work :(

F
FlyBum
Some more stuff. Last one is a Grayling on the Upper Big Hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
S
Sinkline

Last edited:
V
Van
Great pics Jake. You must have had an awesome time, im jealous.

F
FlyBum
Thanks Randy and Mark, it was a truly epic conquest for the brown fish of Montana. I'm ready for steelhead in the D now though!! :)

S
steelhead_slayer
excactly what i have been thinking, and preping for

B
bigsteel
excellent report

G
GDBrown
FlyBum said:
The "One" was broken on a fish on the Madison just before dark after landing a 20" brown........ :(

Aren't you glad you went that far east..... I loved catching those big browns on the Madison!

M
mtangler
I live in Bozeman - all of the waters you mentioned are terrific and well worth visiting. The Missouri is also a terrific fishery but it is nice to float it due to its size and it isn't much farther. Another interesting option if you head a bit further east is to target some of the wold class spring creeks that are found in the wider valleys in the Beaverhead, Gallatin and Yellowstone River Valleys. The "creeks" require rod fees and on some you need to be guided but others you can book yourself. Another good wade fishing river when you are on your own is the Ruby, especially if you are going to be in the Twin Bridges area.