Mid March

H
hagerstrom
Hi Everyone, I'm heading to Oregon (Portland/Hood River) from the east coast in mid-March and was hoping to squeeze a day of fishing in. If you had one day on one river in mid-March — where would you go?

Any insight/advice is greatly appreciated.

A
alm21
If I was in Hood River, I'd give Hood River a go. But if I were to drive towards Portland, then definitely the Sandy River.

H
hagerstrom
Thanks alm21! Steelhead in the Sandy, right? What about Hood? Is spey gear a must or could I get by with my 'traditional', lighter weight gear?

A
alm21
Yeah, steelhead in both. You can gear fish both rivers (use of bait is also allowed for steelhead). You can keep adipose clipped steelhead in either river. As always, make sure you go over the regulations for specifics. I couldn't tell you how Hood River is fishing as I haven't been over there. I'd go there if I didn't feel like driving and wanted to take in some scenery and get the line wet close to H.R. The Sandy wouldn't be a bad drive from Hood River and could be well worth it.

H
hagerstrom
Thanks again!

R
rainORsnow1
Willamette springers!!! Not many places u can catch a salmon (the best tasteing IMO) right in downtown or if u don't have a boat take guide or go to meldrum bar and plunk. Sauvies island from shore is great plunking grounds