Metolius super river

C
chucktate
I used to fish the Metolius frequently years ago. I recall the debate of "Molded" lead compared to "Wrapped" lead. Molded lead was not considered to be "Fly Material". So I would tie heavy dropper flies and bend the hooks up a bit so they don't snag on the bottom. I haven't been following what has been happening with the river, but see Salmon and Steelhead being introduced seems to go against the original reason why they stopped stocking trout. Can all those types of fish survive this river? I am hoping to make a trip this summer down there. Would be nice just to walk the river and see if I can spot any Bull Trout. They are a lot of fun to catch.

B
bigfootfish
Mt. Jefferson Triangle EYE

Mt. Jefferson Triangle EYE

Take a close look at this interesting feature of Mt. Jefferson. That triangle with the spot in the middle faces dues east, overlooking the Warm Springs Reservation. Gives me goosebumps looking at it!:D:think::D

BFF

Last edited by a moderator:
H
halibuthitman
I hope all goes well with your surgery... and then you can get back to the important things in life... fishing. As for the external shot debate.... it has been determined in trout fishing the use of shot forward of the presentation is not ethical due to the availability of sink tips... I disagree a great deal with this... but the f*gs in white button down shirts and sage hats have made their god like rulings.. and odf seems to have agreed with them. I believe shot is the key to the city in many situations flyfishing... but remember, unless stated in special regs the use of external shot is ok in many fly only lakes and rivers.

B
bigfootfish
Well said, HHM! You have a really good grasp of the regs. :think: That offsets your rare doom & gloom comments. Shows passion. I get passionate about fishing now and then!:lol::rolleyes::mad::yay:

BFF

B
bigfootfish
HHM, thanks. It's a very rountine type of surgury, but......

BFF

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
bigfootfish said:
HHM, thanks. It's a very rountine type of surgury, but......

BFF
:pray: :pray: :D

L
lilsalmon
The Metolius is a beautiful river....We camped and fished it and had a great time. White fish weren't mentioned as being in the river but we had fish swimming at our feet and we believed them to be white fish....are we wrong?

H
halibuthitman
lilsalmon said:
The Metolius is a beautiful river....We camped and fished it and had a great time. White fish weren't mentioned as being in the river but we had fish swimming at our feet and we believed them to be white fish....are we wrong?

if you are standing in a river east of I-5.... you can figure you are sharing that enviroment with a whitefish... or possibly the ookla ookla fish, grows up to three feet long and attacks people who are standing in a river swinging a stick... all the native tribes know about them, thats why there are no native owned fly shoppes anywhere in america...funny, now that you think about it.. have you ever been in a native flyshoppe on a res?? its best just to stay out of the whole general area... LOOOOOOOOOOOTs of fish.. some up to 75LBs over near maupin.. and the waters warmer!;):rolleyes:;)

B
bigsteel
halibuthitman said:
if you are standing in a river east of I-5.... you can figure you are sharing that enviroment with a whitefish... or possibly the ookla ookla fish, grows up to three feet long and attacks people who are standing in a river swinging a stick... all the native tribes know about them, thats why there are no native owned fly shoppes anywhere in america...funny, now that you think about it.. have you ever been in a native flyshoppe on a res?? its best just to stay out of the whole general area... LOOOOOOOOOOOTs of fish.. some up to 75LBs over near maupin.. and the waters warmer!;):rolleyes:;)
i caught a 3 pound whitefish in maupin in april!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B
bigfootfish
sidehill-winder & ookla ookla fish

sidehill-winder & ookla ookla fish

halibuthitman said:

:D:lol::naughty: Ookla ookla? Hmmmm. I wonder, HHM, if you have heard about the sidehillwinders that frequent that watershed...:think:

BFF

B
bigfootfish
Just got back yesterday from spending over a week on the Metolius. Learned how to fly fish(somewhat!) and caught a nice 18 inch brown trout. My first trout on a fly rod. I spent the first five nights at the House on the Metolius Resort(pics and vids later!), then moved to the Lake Creek Lodge Resort and then to the Black Butte Resort Motel(not the Black Butte Ranch). More later.

BFF

T
todd_brooks
halibuthitman said:
The Met is a very difficult river to fish, the fall river is probably the only body of water in oregon more difficult to fly fish, access is abundant, which is rare... but fishing it is actually quite difficult, floating it and getting out of the raft or kayak is boarderline legal.. but I don't recomend it, I have been all the way down the river 3 times.. it can be a very dangerous float. The river is still quite high for this time of year, while dry fly fishing is good, czech nymphing and dredging buggers is what produces most big fish. It is a stunning river... and very fun and challenging to fish.. I have fished it around 40 days total... and barely can produce a big day. Go... but don't take your begginer friends with you.. this is Gods water, and it breaks my heart to imagine hatchery steelhead and nooks on it... I wish they would leave well enough alone.. for with the return of the salmon...here comes the meat hunters..garbage... bobbers in trees and crowds... then I will have to drive all the way to the Fall River..But what-ever... Go ahead odf.. tax me some more to ruin my favorite spots... thanks

I hope to god they won't let this happen there. Its gods country for sure. I can't believe they'd change the catch and release only rule for a hatchery program. They don't even crank out the rainbows any more to try and protect the native stock from what I understand. I love the Metolius I can only hope that odfw gets this one right. :pray: Its interesting to hear that you think the fishing is best below the lower bridge. I go down there once a year, it may be twice this year. I told myself I was going to give it a shot down lower this year and didn't get it done. Next time for sure now.

B
bigfootfish
The gate!!!

The gate!!!

About 5 or 6 years ago I was going to four-wheel drive way down below Lower Bridge(Bridge 99) on the East-side access road, camping out along the way, down through where that huge landslide happened back during the Flood of '96. Got the rig loaded up, headed on up there and discovered they gated the road. Darn. I've always wanted to fish that lower stretch of river, as it goes down for quite a few miles until it reaches Monty Campground, close to where the Metolius meets Lake Billy Chinook.
Anyone ever made that run?

BFF

H
Hawk
steelhead_stalkers said:
No offense here. They are to expensive to leave in the trees! :lol: We fish the Rouge in the summer where its fly only with no added weight on the line. I can make some pretty heavy micro jigs. LOL

These regs are mild, try reading the ones for the fly only water on the North Umpqua. Its basically dry fly only!

That wood be "The Rogue".

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

E
everett464
I have to say, I really like what they are doing with the Metolius. It is serving as a model for other formerly awesome native fisheries, and how they can be brought back to their former glory. I don't think anyone is suggesting that it will be a fast or easy process, but I think the lessons to be learned are plenty.

If you are at all interested, the oregon fly fishing blog is following the issue as it pertains to the McKenzie, and it's future very closely. the posts are few and far between, but searching Native Mckenzie on the site's search bar should yield the majority of the information.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I know how to spell the Rogue I grew up on it! :lol: Sometimes when typing to fast the "u" comes before the "g". Kind of like "teh"! :D

B
bigfootfish
everett464 said:
I have to say, I really like what they are doing with the Metolius. It is serving as a model for other formerly awesome native fisheries, and how they can be brought back to their former glory. I don't think anyone is suggesting that it will be a fast or easy process, but I think the lessons to be learned are plenty.

If you are at all interested, the oregon fly fishing blog is following the issue as it pertains to the McKenzie, and it's future very closely. the posts are few and far between, but searching Native Mckenzie on the site's search bar should yield the majority of the information.

I concur. The Spring Chinook and the Summer Steelhead that are being held in a holding pattern below Round Butte Dam will be moved on up into Lake Billy in September sometime, according to Chip Dale out of the Bend ODFW office. This is to allow to smallfry salmon and steelhead to make it downstream into the Deschutes there at Round Butte. The ODFW expect the Springers to hightail it up into the Metolius and the Steelhead to head towards Steelhead & Big Falls. The bulk of the Steelhead are expected to go up Whychus Creek, which is the new name for Squaw Creek. ODFW told me it hopes that in a few years they can open up Whychus to the retention of Steelhead. It's open for trout 2 per day currently. Whychus flows through Sisters.

BFF

B
bigsteel
ill bet you in a few years they open it up for bait on the river,,,then its all over,,,,they should leave well enough alone

B
bigfootfish
bigsteel said:
ill bet you in a few years they open it up for bait on the river,,,then its all over,,,,they should leave well enough alone

Never happen, BS. I'm willing to bet $ on that.

BFF