Metolius bull trout

R
RyanHill127
Has anybody fished the Metolius lately? I'm looking to head that way soon for my first Bull Trout and last fish of my royal trout slam. Any word on if the bulls have started to show up or when they usually start getting into the river pretty thick? I'm having some trouble finding some decent reports for it. Thanks!

H
hydropsyche
The met as you probably know is one tuff mother. I work across the highway at black butte ranch, last year i made it there every week this year the green ridge fire has prevented much access to the good early bull trout water down around the hatchery and bridge 99. However it looks like it has opened back up, the kokes should start showing up and the bulls love to ambush from logs and under cut banks. However my best luck for bulls has been nymphing in the dead of winter. This time of year i would use very large white and black or olive streamers/intruders and carry an extra rod for fishing dries for the bows a flav hatch should be in order soon best hatch on the met in my opinion. Any decent grey Adams size 14 -10 even grey caddis patterns will draw strikes when the flavs are on. Good luck!

R
RyanHill127
Great info thanks! I have some trips planned through the first week of sept but was thinking of making a two day trip in mid sept down there. It's about two and half hours for me to get there. I keep hearing of bridge 99, how far in is that bridge? I have been tying up some big bunny leech style streamers in white, black, chartreuse and flesh color. Wouldn't mind fishing with ya if you live so close and had some free time!

S
steelhead_slayer
I work across the highway also. I was at bridge 99 today to check it out. It is still fishing pretty slow for bulls. The bridge isn't too far down maybe 10-15mi off the highway

H
hydropsyche
I would be down to fish with either of you two on the Met. My days of are are always Mon/Tues if you stop by Roberts pub I am the chef there and usually have a little time to chat when we slow down in September.

S
steelhead_slayer
hydropsyche said:
I would be down to fish with either of you two on the Met. My days of are are always Mon/Tues if you stop by Roberts pub I am the chef there and usually have a little time to chat when we slow down in September.

I'll swing by after shift one of these days. It looks like we fish a lot of the same waters

R
RyanHill127
Hydro, that'd be awesome. I live a little ways away but like I said, I just moved up here a couple months ago and would love to fish with some guys from the area. I've been a lone ranger since I moved up. And I really want to complete my royal trout slam!