Membership feedback?

Southpaw
Southpaw
Does anyone have first hand experience with the paid membership from the "guide forecast" for fishing reports? Just curious if anyone has and if the information was worth it for the weekly reports, especially being I'm a bank fisher not having a boat.

E
eugene1
Not sure, but they peruse the forums that we are on and compile their info that way, from what I understand.

I don't think it will help you a tremendous amount.

Southpaw
Southpaw
Yea, I wondered that. Like most things anything to grab a buck from folks. Thanks [MENTION=2409]eugene1[/MENTION]

D
DrTheopolis
Southpaw said:
Yea, I wondered that. Like most things anything to grab a buck from folks.

I don't think that's fair.

TGF (one of the proprietors of which posts on this board) offers a service. They certainly don't mislead anyone about ther services they offer, nor would they dream of pulling any bait-and-switch stuff to scam anybody.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know any of the owners of TGF. One of them is a friend of a close friend of mine (who I'm fishing with tomorrow). My other interaction is with a poster here (which included PMs). My cards are on the table -- I've divulged the little connection I have.

To a person who fishes primarily one stream, and gets crazy and occasionally fishes one other spot on a whim -- they may not be for you, since you're going anyway. If you're on-the-go, and love to get out and explore and find new fisheries near and far, then they're probably a huge help. They garner reports from respected guides from across the region, and give the best reports they possibly can, from firsthand info.

Take it or leave it, it may not be for you, but I do have an issue with anyone portraying them as scammers, only out for a buck. Good folk, who do great things for our fishing community.

Southpaw
Southpaw
Fair enough, good first hand info. Good luck tomorrow

D
DrTheopolis
Southpaw said:
Good luck tomorrow

Thank you.

Didn't mean to get fired up, but they're just trying to help, and maybe make a couple of bucks along the way (and I do mean "a couple"). Kind of like the site we're all posting on (which I occasionally click an ad link on, since it helps our fine proprietor, Anitoly, and I encourage others to do the same -- running a website isn't free).

E
eugene1
DrTheopolis said:
I don't think that's fair.

TGF (one of the proprietors of which posts on this board) offers a service. They certainly don't mislead anyone about ther services they offer, nor would they dream of pulling any bait-and-switch stuff to scam anybody.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know any of the owners of TGF. One of them is a friend of a close friend of mine (who I'm fishing with tomorrow). My other interaction is with a poster here (which included PMs). My cards are on the table -- I've divulged the little connection I have.

To a person who fishes primarily one stream, and gets crazy and occasionally fishes one other spot on a whim -- they may not be for you, since you're going anyway. If you're on-the-go, and love to get out and explore and find new fisheries near and far, then they're probably a huge help. They garner reports from respected guides from across the region, and give the best reports they possibly can, from firsthand info.

Take it or leave it, it may not be for you, but I do have an issue with anyone portraying them as scammers, only out for a buck. Good folk, who do great things for our fishing community.

I have zero affiliation with them so I am 100% unbiased.

I wouldn't portray them as scammers either, but I think they add very little value to the angling community because the same information can be had on forums for free. I've read their free reports that were simply re-reports of forum posts in the past, including my own reports. It really doesn't seem worth it unless you need reports spoon fed to you.

It would be interesting to see some reviews of paying members I suppose. Maybe there are more details disclosed by paying guides? I don't know, perhaps you can ask your friend, DrTheopolis.

Best,

D
DrTheopolis
Eugene1, I have nothing but respect for your opinion. I do know that the TGF guys have connections to myriad top name guides that they rely on for info. I'm not trying to plug their service, merely trying to clear up what they OFFer. Abd what I do know, is they are some bigboy* fishermen.

At any rate, they're kind enough to give the general synopsis in the free section.

* -- where the heck has Bigboy been? Used to post here all the time.

D
DrTheopolis
eugene1 said:
I think they add very little value to the angling community because the same information can be had on forums for free.

And thinking about this...

Since this site is available for viewing by literally anyone on the planet with an internet connection, how in-depth do any of us really go, for fear of giving away our honey-hole...

And since I'm going down this road... and maybe I'm getting wayyyy OFF topic, but... does it really affect me if I give away my killer technique? I mean, besides all the Bud's spinners being out of stock. The reason I post here, primarily, apart from the obvious that I like to chat about fishing with those who share my passion, is because so many people with less knowledge than what I've gleaned in my years come here. I want them to get the same enjoyment I do from our sport. Sure, my theories on fishing are maybe a little nuts (<---- I'm looking for some "crappy old 8#" jokes here), but if they help someone catch one fish, I'm happy.

Besides my honey-holes (AND YEAH, I HAVE A SECRET ONE ON THE CLACK, SO PHOOEY ON YOU!!!!!!), I have no secrets. And I guess my point is, that the TGF guys feel the same way. They're just trying to help, not get rich.

P
pinstriper
I read their free reports, and wonder how much more I could get from the paid version. Not intrigued enough to actually go through the hassle of signing up and making sure to cancel later, but intrigued nonetheless.