Mckenzie River

R
R.Gertken
Ive been sticking around leaburg lake area, but only fishing in the river with not much luck. Im new to the area and was wondering what people are using and if the fishing has been slow or is it just me. Ive caught a few, but not enough for how much time ive put in. Ive really been sticking to dry flys mostly. Is it too early in the year for dry action here? I have no boat, so been wading from shore. Also what fly patterns should I use for this river? Thanks in advance.

brandon4455
brandon4455
try using McKenzie green caddis and pmd patterns right now. green or pale yellow soft hackles,green caddis pupa,pheasant tails for subsurface. green stimulators, green elk hair caddis and comparadun pmd's for dries. if your fishing below the dam the fishing lows down in the summer months,so mornings and evenings are better. i personally would fish a McKenzie green elk hair caddis with a small yellow soft hackle on the dropper right now

brandon4455
brandon4455
also,you can't go wrong with fishing a possie bugger and mega prince under a strike indicator

R
R.Gertken
Thanks brandon. Ill have to try them out.

hobster
hobster
Fished the lower river last week and i tried green soft hackle, a green caddis dry fly and also a good 'ol mayfly imitation which worked best on that day. They are hittting dry flies but they actually hit my dry on the swing which was wierd. It was submerged a little on the swing and a couple of quick jerks fooled some nice cutties! Still a little slow for dry flies, raining again today - its been a late summer so i think the fishing should be good during the day till it really heats up.

M
mezzfin