Loon lake?

F
fishing man
im heading up to loon lake friday and was wondering what i should take/use?

R
rippin fish lips
If you want to have some fun with all different kinds of fish, jig a worm off the bottom! U r going to catch a lot of bluegill tho, but there are some pig gills in there. BASS GEAR, swimbaits, plastic worms and what not, crappie jigs catch big bass there. Thomas spoons the fish are pretty fiesty if the conditions are right there, i have caught bluegill,bass,trout/kokes with the thomas spoons there. A Number 3 or 4 spinner tipped with a night crawler, and enough weight to get out deep (from the dock on the east shore) let it sink to the bottom and real in just enough to get the blade spinning/fluttering, and reapeat. seen some peeps slay the kokes that way. Do you have a boat? if so i can tell you a spot where a lot of the fish school up and u could troll some ford fenders with 3 feet of leader tipped with a worm or w/e u feel.

C
Coastaldweller
No fish in Loon lake.... Horrible place to go..... :)

jamisonace
jamisonace
Thanks Rippin, I'll be heading up there this weekend for two or three days with a boat. I'd love to hear about those locations you speak of in this post. Any idea how deep to fish for kokes up there this time of year?

Thanks again,

rippin fish lips said:
If you want to have some fun with all different kinds of fish, jig a worm off the bottom! U r going to catch a lot of bluegill tho, but there are some pig gills in there. BASS GEAR, swimbaits, plastic worms and what not, crappie jigs catch big bass there. Thomas spoons the fish are pretty fiesty if the conditions are right there, i have caught bluegill,bass,trout/kokes with the thomas spoons there. A Number 3 or 4 spinner tipped with a night crawler, and enough weight to get out deep (from the dock on the east shore) let it sink to the bottom and real in just enough to get the blade spinning/fluttering, and reapeat. seen some peeps slay the kokes that way. Do you have a boat? if so i can tell you a spot where a lot of the fish school up and u could troll some ford fenders with 3 feet of leader tipped with a worm or w/e u feel.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I fished Loon Lake the last couple of days. We caught a lot of blue gill. That was fun for the kids. We also trolled for Kokanee and Trout but all we caught were squawfish. I'm not sure if we were deep enough for anything else. It was fun but I wouldn't say the fishing was great. We fished worms on the bottom just off the bank for bluegill and we trolled the 90+ deep water for trout and kokes.

R
rippin fish lips
jamisonace said:
We fished worms on the bottom just off the bank for bluegill and we trolled the 90+ deep water for trout and kokes.

Ohhh woww i totally forgot about this thread. The blue gill are almost too thick in this lake huh?? You were in the area where a lot of the trout and kokes hold up in the summer. Although augest is more of a warm water species fishery there. Early in the year, i am guessing would be perfect to troll for them, like say april-late june and into some of july.

I see lots of dead trout there in augest. Lots of squaw fish and white fish there. I see ppl slay them in that deep of water almost every year, seems like your day was dead for trout/kokes. I like to use a slinky set up, with 2-3 feet of leader, 6lb mainline with 4lb leader while doing a really slow troll along the bank for the warm water fish when the trout/koke fishing is dead there. I mainly fish along the North shore while there work my way towards the beach and down the south bank. to the lilly pads and back across to north shore to start the circle over again.

The squaws and whites there do fight pretty hard, and the Gills will attack you if u r swimming in their "zone" Atleast it happened to me last year.