Looking for drift fishing rod recommendations

R
rippin fish lips
Okay guys, so this year i really want to get into "drift fishing" for summer steelhead. I have been looking at some Lamiglass rods and some g-loomis rods. I preferably would like to purchase a "spinning rod" in he "medium-light" action rod. I Want one in the 8-9 foot range, preferably 8'6" as that size felt perfect in my hands. Do they make any Okuma drift fishing rods in the 8"6" range? ---- as for now i have a $100 t drop on a rod. I will go up to 150 maybe 200, but thenI also need to find a real to match the rod. I could go up to $200 for a build. Just need rod and real recomendations for (drift fishing only). One that holds 6lb-12lb or so.

Thanks in advance. Tanner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: OneFishTwoFish
V
veilside180sx
rippin fish lips said:
Okay guys, so this year i really want to get into "drift fishing" for summer steelhead. I have been looking at some Lamiglass rods and some g-loomis rods. I preferably would like to purchase a "spinning rod" in he "medium-light" action rod. I Want one in the 8-9 foot range, preferably 8'6" as that size felt perfect in my hands. Do they make any Okuma drift fishing rods in the 8"6" range? ---- as for now i have a $100 t drop on a rod. I will go up to 150 maybe 200, but thenI also need to find a real to match the rod. I could go up to $200 for a build. Just need rod and real recomendations for (drift fishing only). One that holds 6lb-12lb or so.

Okuma is garbage for drift fishing rods. 8'6" is too short in my opinion as well.

Lamiglas builds excellent blanks/rods, but you do pay for that US built excellence.

I would get a 9'2"-9'6" Cert Pro or XMG...used if you have to.

M
mccarrel
I picked up a two year old model brand new for about 150, lamiglass 9.6. Sometimes you can find them at smaller shops.

M
Mad dog
I have Rogue rods that are 9 1/2 ft., 4-8 lb and are the ****!!! :dance:

I use anything from my Lamiglass 9 1/2 ft., 6-10, 6-15, bait casters in the 8-12 or 6-15 make excellent drift rods. My youngest has a stack of of Berkley graphite rods, he just bought another one this winter that was 10 1/2 ft, can't remember the line rating though....pretty light....I actually got bored watching him fight fish with the noodle! I catch a ton of fish with a light action 9 1/2 ft rod, that would be my suggestion for a spinning rod. Price wise and quality wise, Berkley is tough to beat! We own some Okuma rods and have had some breakage, they don't hold up well IMO.....I don't like them.

W
waco
IMO I don't think 8' 6" is too short, you don't need a long rod for drift fishing! I have a 8'6" shimano clarus and love it!!

C
capblack
waco said:
IMO I don't think 8' 6" is too short, you don't need a long rod for drift fishing! I have a 8'6" shimano clarus and love it!!

unless you plan on also using it as a float rod??

troutdude
troutdude
waco said:

I agree with Waco on length. But, you'll get a lot of varying ideas on this. Each of us, will have our own preferences.

IMO, Loomis rods are too much money for what you get. IMO, you can get the same quality for less money in other brands. I feel a bit like that w/ Lamiglass too. Plus, I had such a lousy experience once, with a busted Lami rod and their supposed "warranty", that I'll never buy a new one again. But, that's just my own experience.

Have you visited a few local shops, to investigate? If you haven't yet, I'd recommend it; so you can see what's on the market.

W
waco
capblack said:
unless you plan on also using it as a float rod??

Yeah but he said he's looking for a drift fishing only rod

troutdude
troutdude
waco said:
Yeah but he said he's looking for a drift fishing only rod

I've been thinking about that too. If he got a 10' rod, wouldn't that allow for both drifting and floating? Just a thought to ponder...

F
fishinshawn
rippin fish lips said:

I would buy the most expensive rod you can afford, drift fishing is one area that will really pay off. I have a 8'6" lamiglas G1307, part of the 1000 series. I really like it, but I'm not completely sure it is worth twice the price of the IM8 imports. For under $100 you have some good choices:

Berkley Buzz Ramsey IM8 rods
Temple Fork OUtfitters Garry loomis series
Okuma SST
Wright and McGill salmon/steelhead series
Shimano clarus

Those are all IM8 rods, that are of good quality and all at or under $100 with actions designed specifically for salmon and steelhead techniques. Personally out of those on the list I'd give the nod to the Wright and McGill or Shimano clarus, both have models designed specifically for drift fishing and both have a lifetime warranty.

F
fishinshawn
troutdude said:
I've been thinking about that too. If he got a 10' rod, wouldn't that allow for both drifting and floating? Just a thought to ponder...

I like to have a very fast action rod for drift fishing, and for float fishing I like one that is a bit slower. You can make one work for both, but it is kinda like trying to use a pliers instead of a box end wrench on a bolt.

Reactions: waco
18406ej
18406ej
I also vote for the Shimano Clarus. I have had two for years and have at times been perhaps too rough with them (that's a secret though) and they are still going strong. They are also very well built for the price.

V
veilside180sx
Of the Chinese built middle grade rods...the Clarus is one of the better of them.

It does not however hold a candle to one of the higher end offerings.

18406ej
18406ej
veilside180sx said:
Of the Chinese built middle grade rods...the Clarus is one of the better of them.

True, although I did once find the Clarus rods poking a lit traffic flare at my Lamiglass...

F
fishinshawn
veilside180sx said:

Have you fished the new wright and McGill rods? They are lighter, and the reel seat is skeltonized so that you can actually have your finger on the rod blank. I haven't been able to ascertain if they imported the rod or if it is made in the USA. I really like how warm the reel seat gets on cold days, I have found it more comfortable then cork.

I wouldn't compare the rod to a lamiglas SI or a Loomis IMX, but I think it is somewhat comparable to the lami certified pro, G1000 series, or GL2. I guess it just depends on a persons budget, with rod technology being what it is today and advancing so fast, many of the new imports are comparable to top of the line stuff from 5 years ago...

While we are talking rods I don't know why Lami even does both the g1000 series and the certified pro anymore. They have jacked up the price of the g1000's so much your with in $50 of the XMG on sale, let alone the certified pros.

V
veilside180sx
The W&M are made overseas. I don't think they are better than a Clarus, despite the fact that I do like the handle layout.

They make both because they fit different needs. G1000 is very durable more forgiving action, while the CP is a little faster action and lighter.

FWIW I own almost a dozen custom built XMG rods, a G1000, a CP, 2 factory SI's, 1 custom SI, 4 custom NFC rods, 2 Clarus', and some others...so I have a pretty good base for comparison. =)

fishinshawn said:
Have you fished the new wright and McGill rods? They are lighter, and the reel seat is skeltonized so that you can actually have your finger on the rod blank. I haven't been able to ascertain if they imported the rod or if it is made in the USA. I really like how warm the reel seat gets on cold days, I have found it more comfortable then cork.

I wouldn't compare the rod to a lamiglas SI or a Loomis IMX, but I think it is somewhat comparable to the lami certified pro, G1000 series, or GL2. I guess it just depends on a persons budget, with rod technology being what it is today and advancing so fast, many of the new imports are comparable to top of the line stuff from 5 years ago...

While we are talking rods I don't know why Lami even does both the g1000 series and the certified pro anymore. They have jacked up the price of the g1000's so much your with in $50 of the XMG on sale, let alone the certified pros.

Last edited:
A
Airs98
Woah! That's an impressive collection of fine rods! So, are those NFC rods really that much better than the XMGs and the SIs? What is your experience with them?

veilside180sx said:
The W&M are made overseas. I don't think they are better than a Clarus, despite the fact that I do like the handle layout.

They make both because they fit different needs. G1000 is very durable more forgiving action, while the CP is a little faster action and lighter.

FWIW I own almost a dozen custom built XMG rods, a G1000, a CP, 2 factory SI's, 1 custom SI, 4 custom NFC rods, 2 Clarus', and some others...so I have a pretty good base for comparison. =)

Last edited:
V
veilside180sx
Airs98 said:
Woah! That's an impressive collection of fine rods! So, do those NFC rods really that much better than the XMGs and the SIs? What is your experience with them?

I actually prefer my SI's personally, and I'll switch back and forth between XMG/NFC. The NFC are a softer action than the XMG's. I think the XMG is the best performance buy for the buck of the drift rod world.

S
steelhead_stalkers
fishinshawn said:

The W&M are a fiberglass rod and don't really compare to any of the lower end rods from Lami or Loomis. I would compare them to the Berkley IM rods but I think those are even better. Some of the guide placement and size of guides on the W&M makes you think a 10 year old built them. :lol: They do have a cool reel seat though. I have fished both and would pick either a Berkley or the new Okumas.

Last edited:
S
steelhead_stalkers
I would say the 962HM is the best blank for drift fishing. Of course it depends on how its built up but the HM material from NFC is lighter than any other blanks on the market. Lamiglas SI rods are heavier than many other high end rods on the market. They do feel OK in hand but did not pass the sensitivity test. If you want to see how much vibration is being passed down the blank and into your hand have someone put the tip of the rod in the middle of their neck and give the rod a little bend. Have your friend talk while you hold the rod. You can feel how much vibration is coming into your hands and test out different rods to see which one is more sensitive. I know its kind of funny but it works really well.

I would look for a 9"6', 6-10 lb for drift fishing. The good think about that size is you can also use it for float fishing. Most of this winter I used my two 9'6" HM NFC rods for float fishing even though they are made for drift fishing. Heck, they are even pretty good spinner rods. :D NFC designs the actions for specific techniques that the rods will be used for.

Here is my 962x. Its a slow to moderate action made for side drifting. It makes a great drift fishing rod too. The ferrul on the NFC rods are the best in the industry. You cannot see where the rods ferrul is and provides a smooth action. Many of the rod companies out there make faster action rods like Lamiglas because their ferruls do not allow them to make a smooth transition. Its why most of them are fast action.

If you want a heavier drift fishing rod I would look at the 9'6", 8-12 lb NFC makes, it has the softest tip of any 8-12 lb rod I have ever fished. It is really a nice blank. Just some info if down the road you want to save up for a top of the line rod. I think the Berkleys are hard to beat for price and performance. Featha styx are making some decent rods that are made overseas too.

Last edited: