Karp Herpes

I
igquick
BEWARE...the following images may give you karp herpes

Anyways, had a great time catching carp like always. Caught about 18 Carp in 3-4 hours of fishing using a hair rigged bread ball, but most of them were about a pound, ranging from less than a pound to around 5 lbs.

Strange enough, most of my fish were hooked on the chin. I think what was happening is there would be a feeding frenzy around my hookbait, and eventually one of them would get hooked. The rest of the fish were hooked normally on the lip.

Last edited by a moderator:
T
Throbbit _Shane
Were you fishing the nursery?!?! :D :D

Reactions: igquick
I
igquick
hahahaha

possibly, there are tons @ kelley point. People seem to easily produce on catfish there, but I wouldn't eat them if I were you; but the carp fishermen tend to get lots of bites but no fish. I think it's all these nursery baby fish. They were spawning all over the shallows, and managed to catch 6 of the big ones (5-6 lbers) that may have been spawning since they were all foul hooked.

By the way, amazing blog by the way; how did you manage to record while you are fishing?

If anybody still cares, I might have accidentally killed 6 of them from the foul hooking by still fishing. There was a lot of blood and possible slow death on this trip, but the snagging from past trips have never produced blood or death...

Reactions: eggs
T
Throbbit _Shane
igquick said:
hahahaha

possibly, there are tons @ kelley point. People seem to easily produce on catfish there, but I wouldn't eat them if I were you; but the carp fishermen tend to get lots of bites but no fish. I think it's all these nursery baby fish. They were spawning all over the shallows, and managed to catch 6 of the big ones (5-6 lbers) that may have been spawning since they were all foul hooked.

By the way, amazing blog by the way; how did you manage to record while you are fishing?

If anybody still cares, I might have accidentally killed 6 of them from the foul hooking by still fishing. There was a lot of blood and possible slow death on this trip, but the snagging from past trips have never produced blood or death...

Thanks for the kind words! If im by myself Ill wear my hat that has an attachment for camera on it. Usually only do that if the bite is hot though. Other times ifs my friends catch a nice one ill the turn the camera on. Just depends.

I
igquick
Throbbit _Shane said:
Thanks for the kind words! If im by myself Ill wear my hat that has an attachment for camera on it. Usually only do that if the bite is hot though. Other times ifs my friends catch a nice one ill the turn the camera on. Just depends.

Same here but I dont have a hat cam, where did you buy a hat cam?

T
Throbbit _Shane
I bought a hat that has attachment built into the bill that screws into my camera. Think it cost around $20 on Amazon. You could probably build one yourself for a lot cheaper though.

J
john montana
Weird to see carp that small...i rarely see those little guys, I think the birds kill a ton of the small carp.

I
igquick
john montana said:
Weird to see carp that small...i rarely see those little guys, I think the birds kill a ton of the small carp.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the bottom...you seem to catch extremely enormous ones on rocky bottoms and I have caught some 20's also at a pond that used to be a rock quarry

And the columbia slough along with other muddy sloughs ive fished at, usually contain these small ones

Do you ever catch carp that have a girth as long as its length? Or girth being larger?

C
cdumitru78
Thats KP right? I was at Kelley Point about a week ago - as you said lots of lil fish biting but no solid bites. Caught a decent size catfish too. Will it get better there once they are done laying eggs? I did really good there right by the boat launch a few weeks ago, got about 6 in 2 hours.

I
igquick
Honestly it all depends...I just try to look for signs of carp on the surface, even some subtle movement or bubbles is a great sign in my book

Since the fish were small, around 1 lb, I owe the hair rig for all the catches because Im sure they would have just nipped off all the bait right off the hook

You've caught 6 carp at the large dock on the columbia?

C
cdumitru78
I caught them as you enter the gravel road for kelley point, right by the kayak launch area, not the boat launch, sorry for the confusion. About 2 weeks ago when the weather was pretty cloudy, they seemed to do well then. The hair rig is a good idea actually, it makes sense why the smaller fish would take the bait off all the time. I use corn and in some instances it would be gone in minutes, crazy. I honestly havent even gone past that kayak launch place, I saw a bunch of russians catching them there so I stopped there. Looks like that area is good for carp, and as you said, you can see them.

I
igquick
Yea thats a good spot, did you keep them?

C
cdumitru78
I did not keep any, I don't eat carp... one of the russian guys took 2 of them, rest were released unharmed, with not even one ounce of blood on them! (I joke I joke, I really dont care THAT much about carp, but maybe a bit more than Mike does!).

I gotta go there and catch one for crab bait though, so maybe this weekend! I am wondering if the Hair Rig will do better, I used it on Sauvie's and works really well there, guess I was too lazy to try it @ Kelley Point. Are there any other decent spots there, I did not even drive past the entrance, once I saw the Russian guys catching them I knew I was where I needed to be.

I
igquick
Once you get to tue gravel road, there is a trail you could hike going left thats next to the bank

C
cdumitru78
Cool thanks! Is that on the left right as you go past the gates? That should be close to the bridge itself. I want to try to get a bigger catfish there as well. Last time I was there I had a bigger rod and I put a few blood worms on a larger hook, catfish were going NUTS over it, wonder if there might be bigger cats there too.

Here is me with one of the fish there
IMG_1102.jpgIMG_1102.jpg

I
igquick
I got my carp on top of that cliff and theres a trail that does lead near that bridge

Nice carp by the way. Yea those catfish love those worms, a couple of guys fishing next to us were catching them every 5 seconds using worms also. I wasn't sure if they were bullhead catfish, which dont grow as big; but a channel catfish can get big

E
eggs
igquick said:
Well done sir!

C
cdumitru78
Channel cats would be fun, I think water is warm enough. I might try to look for some carp up and down that area, u see plenty there, that's for sure. We caught some white fish too, I didn't take a pic of it, weird creature though, like a thinner carp.

I
igquick
cdumitru78 said:
Channel cats would be fun, I think water is warm enough. I might try to look for some carp up and down that area, u see plenty there, that's for sure. We caught some white fish too, I didn't take a pic of it, weird creature though, like a thinner carp.

Ive caught channels before but they were just a little larger than the bullheads. Be careful walking around though, you got to watch out for homeless people and needles

eggs said:
Well done sir!

Sometimes you have to clean the waterways

C
cdumitru78
Great, homeless people and needless! I will be careful, thanks for the heads up, I wont venture off the paths. Sunday might be dry, could be a good day to get out there.