Jig and pig

N
nwmike
whats your favorite trailer for you jig and pig setup.i have used crawfish claws from a soft plastic crawfish and had good luck.wanted to know of any other good baits

D
Darthbeans
Waaaay too many to list lol but RI beavers work well....brush hogs....like i said lot of them and it depends on what and where im fishing for color/trailer lots of ppl on here are better jig fisherman than me though..hit up TR or CP they have it down but good!!!

T
tomriker
i like the berkley chigger craws, 4" model.. black with red specs. im looking for new trailers though, somthing over 5"... not much out there that i like. ive considered buying a mold and making my own color of some pretty sick creature baits. maybe this summer... having a baby took away all my fishin' money :)

C
catfishman89
Uncle josh porkrind. 3.5 inch standard size for largemouth and finesses size for smallies. The real jig and pig setup.

bass
bass
catfishman89 said:
Uncle josh porkrind. 3.5 inch standard size for largemouth and finesses size for smallies. The real jig and pig setup.

I agree. I usually use a real Uncle Josh Pork frog. Although I have also had success using the Zoom pieces that look like the Uncle Josh's. Still, in cold water no plastic has as nice of action as real pork.

R
ryan808
Net baits Paca Crawl.....

C
colbypearson
No real favorites for me just have to adapt to the conditions.

Heres my break down for what I use for different scenario's.

Craw imitators: Chigger Craws, Paca Craws, Beavers, and Chunks, Cover & Sasuteki Craws.
Bait fish imitators: Single & Double tail grubs, small Swimbaits.
Creature baits: Brush hogs & Power Hogs.

I tend to imitate Craws when the fish are relating to the bottom and are keying in on them all the listed baits look natural and resemble crawdads well, some of them also flutter (chiggers and pacas) on the sweep and sometimes they outproduce other trailers for me.

Most people think when I mention bait fish imitating jigs that im casting them and swimming them back witch is something I dont do often, most often I do this against vertical or steep cover for suspended fish. The trailers in that category all have good swimming actions and most often get hit on the initial fall or just after bottom contact is made for me.

The creature bait category I do when the fish want a larger presence and arent necessarily keying on realism, I put on a full size brush hog onto the back of the jig and get to work this is one of my favorite ways to fish jigs because it offers a big slow moving meal. I tend to use creature baits on my jigs a lot at night and in dingy water because the added action and bulk has more of a presence in the water.

I personally tend not to deal with pork regardless of water temperature I have caught fish well enough on plastic in water in the 30's, maybe I am missing out maybe not its not my preference.

Just my .02.

Colby