Who knew a grub body minus an action tail would catch so many fish!

S
Senkosam
Last year I was fishing a curly tail grub and the tail was bitten off by a pickerel. I cast it anyway and began catching panfish and bass. The Ned Rig is similar in concept but the lures used are longer. The grub body was only 1" rigged on a 1/32 oz ball head jig. I noticed it had a unique action: a darting quiver between drops & pauses. This small bass was the first of many.
mzYfUBP.jpg

Then I experimented melting grub bodies together using a candle for various shapes and textures:
017.JPG
2uHQfii.jpg
9zvC6mZ.jpg

This one came from pouring clear plastic into a mold and using Spike-It to add a bit of contrast:
light bulb.jpg

Try casting a grub body on a light jig using rod tip twitches with slight turns of the reel handle. It may surprise you.

bass
bass
Looks just like the grub on the smallest (1/32oz) beetle spins. I used to fish those all the time. Definitely a good lure. I liked just the grub on the jighead for bluegill and with the spinner harness for crappie.

Reactions: Senkosam
S
Snopro
bass said:
Looks just like the grub on the smallest (1/32oz) beetle spins. I used to fish those all the time. Definitely a good lure.
Beetle spin is a great lure and it does look similar, as does the Trout Magnet.
1711119714993.png

Reactions: bass and Senkosam
bass
bass
I was going to add the trout magnet but it had the split tail. I figured the beetle spin was an almost exact match.

S
Snopro
Current edition beetle spins have a split tail.
1711136653456.png

S
Senkosam
The split tail is not IMO a major design enhancement. Used by itself neither the Trout Magnet nor Crappie Magnet do better than my finesse tail and no-tail designs used with or without the spinning blade.

S
Snopro
I doubt you'd notice a difference between what you're fishing and a Micro TRD.

I like fishing ElaZtech in this situation because it's buoyancy makes it stand up off the bottom.

Reactions: bass
bass
bass
Snopro said:
I doubt you'd notice a difference between what you're fishing and a Micro TRD.

I like fishing ElaZtech in this situation because it's buoyancy makes it stand up off the bottom.

I love Zman stuff. I have not tried those but I use the TRD all the time on a Ned rig. The Elastek material is just insanely durable and soft.

S
Snopro
Speaking of the beetle spin. Fisherman's has all sizes on closeout for .80 or the 1/32 for .30, good deal if anyone wants to stock up.

S
Senkosam
Thanks for the video Snopro. The presentation is one I rarely use: working the bottom in different ways.

S
Senkosam
There are many lures that can catch fish on the B.Spin. This design in particular has a thin flat tail that flutters when the blade rotates:
IMG_0366.JPG

It does exceptionally well when used by itself on a light jig. Can't get much more finesse in action than that. My other favorite is the curl tail grub:
IMG_0363.JPG

A tube does as well as either Magnet:
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0359.JPG
sunnie on tube.JPG

None of these lures mimics anything. They simply push a fish's buttons forcing it to attack. I do believe the colors and metal flakes contribute.

Last edited: