Jetty fishing

F
FG_Fishing8
Any tips for me while trying to catch a few rockifsh out at barview? I've done it a few times when i was younger and we used sand shrimp? I've caught one in my two trips. What do I need to do?

K
kenjimua
FG_Fishing8 said:
Any tips for me while trying to catch a few rockifsh out at barview? I've done it a few times when i was younger and we used sand shrimp? I've caught one in my two trips. What do I need to do?

last few times I went to barview jetty used 1oz jig heads with white fish like lures...just tossed it out and reel back in....I herd motor oil color grubs works really good as well but never tried it my self

N
nativefish
So I have never jetty fished but been thinking about it a lot lately, any references on tips of when to go and what to fish for? It i am tossing a 1 oz jig I imagine my chinook bobber rod should work but do i want a spinning reel instead? Any info would be appreciated

D
DrTheopolis
Don't fish the jetty nearly as much as I used to, but in years past, a friend and I would go often. Night time in winter is usually the best time (but certainly not the only time).

Always used jigs. Anywhere from 3/8th oz to 1oz. Anywhere from a light rod to a heavy one -- it'll all work. Chuck it out a ways, let it sink a bit (time depends on weight, obviously) then jig/twitch it on in. It's a good thing jig heads and jigs are cheap, because you'll go through a few.

If you go at night, some sort of light, like one of those hand held rechargeable spotlights, or whatever. Shine it at the water next to the rocks. Cast right into the lit up spot. You can use a very light jig and rod for this. It won't take long to limit.
i
Next bit of advice for Barview -- if you do go at night (or even in the day) stay close in. Like the first parking lot (plenty of fish there, they move up and down the jetty). The area out towards the tips gets really sketch once we get to this time of year, and at night you can't see the sneakers coming very well. I guess what I'm trying to say, is it's dangerous, and this is from someone who has been known to throw caution to the wind as a lifestyle.

During the day, you can fish the South Jetty, but it's a long hike in.

Rockfish are tasty, but hard to filet.

F
FG_Fishing8
Once again Doc with the help!! I'll have to put this into use over my week long Thanksgiving break.. Budget cuts = more fishing time, helps a little.

D
DrTheopolis
If you bring a buddy, warm clothes, and beer (if you're so inclined), you'll have a blast. I've always done best around high tide, but you can get into stuff at any time, just better bite towards the tide swings. Low slack can be good too. Any hour of the day (again, better at night). Every now and then, you might even hook into a ling this time of year, but don't bet the rent on it, and they're hard to land on the jetty. And if you cast to far past the rocks and get into the sandy bottom, I've seen (once) and heard stories of hooking into skates... which you'll never see, and might cost you a spool of line. Might as well be hooking a submarine.

Way back when, a friend and I used to go at night in winter to our "private, secret rockfish hole," which is quite public, and never gets fished -- the rock piles around the ramp at Netarts. We'd toss a crab trap off the dock (no one is usuing the boat ramp at night), walk out on the rocks and chuck light jigs on light rods. Rarely catch anything of any size, but usually got plenty of action, and would get a few crabs, mostly redrock. We could park right next to where we were fishing, had restrooms with running water, heat in the truck if it got cold... and a bar across teh parking lot. We'd get pretty tossed, catch fish, sleep it off in the truck, and if there was a somewhat low tide in the morning, go down to the crazy clam beds (tough digging in the rocks, but lots of big gapers/blues there, although I'm not much of a clammer). Haven't been there in many years (else I wouldn't be sharing my "secret hole"), but that was always a good time. Barview definitely has better fishing, though.

Have fun, young man

F
FG_Fishing8
A little late, but thanks Doc.