Is this common?

P
pinstriper
Was tying egg loops today and found a hook without a barb. Set it aside, found another. Huh.

So I went through the whole package, and out of 51, 21 of them were barbless. Disappointing.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
what brand?

P
pinstriper
I'd rather not say, to be fair, but it rhymes with Beagle Craw.

S
Snopro
Save them for fishing the Columbia?

P
pinstriper
Ya I could use them on the Willy or very bottom Clack. But I am still mildly annoyed. I think if I were deliberately fishing barbless don't you go to circle hooks instead ?

S
Stonefish
Did it look like it had been opened prior to you buying the pack of hooks?
Could have been a pack someone returned and got thrown back up on the peg.
SF

P
pinstriper
Stonefish said:
Did it look like it had been opened prior to you buying the pack of hooks?
Could have been a pack someone returned and got thrown back up on the peg.
SF

Oof, I have no recollection of where or when I bought it. Sometime in the last 4 months, I guess.

I don't see how a return would explain it. They are all the same hooks, just some barbless. If someone bought them and found the problem, they wouldn't have been back on the shelf. Unless you think someone bought a pack of barbed and a pack of barbless, put them in a cereal bowl together, then decided to return them and didn't bother sorting them...

I think more like a factory f-up, maybe changeover from one product to another on the same packaging line.

P
playhooky
pinstriper said:
I'd rather not say, to be fair, but it rhymes with Beagle Craw.

You'll find Owner Super Needle Points on the top shelf for a few more penny's. Owner hooks packaging and QC peeps don't smoke their lunch. That Beagle Craw wire has been known to snap at the bend under certain conditions. Tough way to lose a trophy fish.

P
pinstriper
playhooky said:
You'll find Owner Super Needle Points on the top shelf for a few more penny's. Owner hooks packaging and QC peeps don't smoke their lunch. That Beagle Craw wire has been known to snap at the bend under certain conditions. Tough way to lose a trophy fish.

Ya I've been tying some Owner hooks, too. It looks like a more substantial barb as well. Though I've pretty much bought what's in stock in the size I'm looking for any given day.

I've been tying 1/0 and 2/0's with a 25# flouro leader for salmon, and 1's and 2's with a 15# flouro leader for steelhead. Running 30# braid for steelhead, 50# for salmon.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
+1 for OWNER hooks. Gamakatsu as a (very) close second.

T
troutmasta
Eagle claw is the problem. Cabelas hooks suck too.

First choice Owner, 2nd Gamagatsu

P
pinstriper
Thanks. How do Brad's stack up ?

T
troutmasta
I used those for sturgeon I think, but I don't use pre tied leaders anymore and owners hasn't failed me for salmon so I haven't looked elsewhere.