How to..... for steelhead?

T
Tai
Hey Offers, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about or how to spinner/spoon fish for steelhead. I always have a few spinners on me while I'm out but i am not really sure for what situation to use them. Also, when rigging them do you add weight?

E
Eskimo
Think drift fishing but with spoons and spinners.

Ive had good luck with bluefox spinners size #2 and panther martins.

For spoons little Cleo's are the go to beginner steelhead spoon I feel. We also have good luck with krocadiles and bluefox spoons.

Starting out your probably gonna loose a lot of gear to snags and rocks till you learn your fishing hole real good.

troutdude
troutdude
Times 2 on the Little Cleo's. Daredevel's are killer too.

I highly recommend "Spinner Fishing for Salmon, Steelhead, and Trout" by Jed Davis.

And Eskimo is right. If you don't lose gear on your outings; you're NOT fishing in the strike zones.

T
Tai
LoL, alright thanks for the info! That was something I was curious about was the snagging. Ya know, with all those pretty blades tumbling around in the water it just seems to snag quite often. So when casting upstream when would you begin to retrieve? Is it completely like drift fishing, where you retrieve at the end of the drift?

S
salmon_slayer87
I agree with Eskimo, but I use #4 blue fox spinners. And 2/5 oz little close. It will take some time to figure out how fast or slow to fish them. It all depends on river levels and current speed
Good luck,
Dale

S
salmon_slayer87
So when casting upstream when would you begin to retrieve? Is it completely like drift fishing, where you retrieve at the end of the drift?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes yes, it will be just like drifting. Sometimes you'll want to retrieve it slow. It just takes some getting use to. Not all days are the same...or fish for that matter.
Dale

B
bythesea
the spinner only works when under a drag,so if your going to throw up stream (river) you'll have to start retrieving right away or as soon as it drops to the depth you want it at.

J
jordanshadow
Good snippets of info in here but nothing near comprehensive enough for your broad questions. Do as suggested before by troutdude and get "Spinner Fishing for Salmon, Steelhead, and Trout" by Jed Davis. But in addition get "Spoon Fishing for Steelhead" by Bill Herzog. These books will set you on the right path for proper gear setup,terminal rigging, technique, lure selection, and target water. Please do yourself a favor and find a way to either purchase these books or go to your library.

J
JeannaJigs
Herzog's book is pretty comprehensive, can be found at bimart for like 10 bucks. There's some members on here that might even have one to loan/give you. Someone gave me a copy about 8 years ago, that I passed on to someone else a couple years ago.

L
Logger707
Id buy a handful of stee-lees too

R
rippin fish lips
Little cleos!! Little cleos!! Fish then low with a slow-moderate retreiving speed.... in the 1/4oz size!! Brass works best for me in mosr conditions. Thomas spoons in the 1/4oz size!!! All colors work good for me. Spinners in the #1-4 range, i rarely use a #4 spinner. Fish spinners SLOW and DEEP!! Tumble the spinner on the bottome but keep the blade spinning just enough to get the right action, slower the better. Trout like a faster spinning blade. Steelies and salmon love slow.

Use no weight!! You dont need xtra weight.... Mainline... Snap swivel (tied to mainline), The (snap) on the swivil makes for easy quick gear changing. make sure your swivels are black and strong!!

Again... Go for those two books they mentioned above!! They told me to get one... what did i do? went and bought for like 15 bucks... "spinner Fishing For Steelhead, salmon and trout, by jed davis... such a good one to read and you will learn a crap load!!

One thing i took the time to do last year while fishing lures... I casted every spoon/spinner i had into every type of water.... Boily, riply, frog water, fast water with rocks and big rapids. During that time... I read what the action of the lure was doing in all different types of water, all diferent seems and whatnot... Once you get that down, you can start jigging your lure with the retrieve in the diff currents... Makin for an oustanding hook to catch ratio.

I feel by doing that it gives you more of a feel to the river/water you are fishing... I fish water that most drift fisherman and other fisherman over look...! That will bring great success... I prolyl lost about 300dollars worth of gear while doing this tho!

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
YES, YES, YES! I totally agree with RFL's comments above. Little Cleo spoons are the bombdiggity!!! They are not only killer on Salmon and Steel, but also trolling for trout, and casting for bass.

I bought Herzog's spoon book a few days ago; and it's GOOD. Got it for $11 and change. I've had Jed Davis' spinner book since the mid - 80's. Plainly put; his methods and designs are simple AND highly effective!