How do you prefer to nymph?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Lots of nymphing related questions lately - so I'll keep the ball rolling. Do you prefer "South Platte" type tight line nymphing, indicator nymphing, or "european" nymphing?

brandon4455
brandon4455
mine varies depending on location and conditions.

S
steelhead_slayer
Most of the time I use a indicator. I used to set my indicator shallow to float my flies just of the bottom, but I have switch to where my indicator is set deeper than the water and is just there to show me what my line is doing. I will high stick at certain times and places as well

J
john montana
depends on the water type. pocket water for me = indicator. long runs i like to naked nymph. of course, i've trout fished only a couple of times in the last few years...

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
john montana said:
depends on the water type. pocket water for me = indicator. long runs i like to naked nymph. of course, i've trout fished only a couple of times in the last few years...

Do you ever get the pangs of "I want to trout fish" anymore John, or have catching "little" carp completely ruined you to fishing for 8-15 inch trouts? :) Maybe if you invested in one of those Sage 00 weights, and only used 7X tippet for 10 inchers... might replicate hooking into a 2lb carp!

I noticed that Orvis' latest ads for their fly rods feature a guy releasing what appears to be about a 7lb carp - no longer some shimmery trout or bonefish.

T
TimberTodd
I have only nymphed with an indicator. Both times were within the last 2 weeks.

J
john montana
I do love trout mark...don't get me wrong, but I am mostly interested in the method rather than the quarry anymore. It isn't necessarily a carp vs trout thing so much as it is a sight fishing thing for me. I love to stalk and hunt fish...granted, it doesn't hurt that carp get up to 30 lbs! I really love to spot my target, get into position, present the fly and watch the eat.

As for nymphing...I actually preferred using an indicator. I always felt I had a better sense of what my fly was doing with an indicator. Not that I claim to be or have been an accomplished trout angler...growing up in MT on the flathead system we just threw stupidly large dry flies for cuts most of the time!

Good topic.

S
steelhead1
I learned to nymph without an indicator,and was fairly successful at detecting takes. Of course I lost a lot more flies hanging up on the bottom. Last season I started using thingamabobbers, because they worked so well flyfishing for winter steelhead. I am not exaggerating when I say that I have easily doubled the number of trout hooked. Not to mention I rarely lose flies anymore (on the bottom anyway,the trees are another story). The situation and conditions always decide what technique I will employ,but for slower moving waters I will almost always use a bobber (oops I mean indicator)=P

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I'm going to add another wrinkle to this one - has anyone here ever fished using the "bounce method" of nymphing?

T
TimberTodd
If you are refering to bouncing off the rocks behind me on my back cast then I will have to say yes I have.:D

R
radarnut
john montana said:
...growing up in MT on the flathead system we just threw stupidly large dry flies for cuts most of the time!

Ha ha! I've fished that neck of the woods a little as my brother and his family live up there, and you are quite right. Up at goat's lick (on the middle fork) my brother's friend caught so many cutties and whitefish in about 30 mins that he had 5 flies completely shredded before he quit. Meantime, we got skunked about 50 yards away. Where were you up there?

Steve

J
john montana
Born and raised in whitefish, mt. I have tromped all over the middle fork, north fork, south fork, and the main stem of that river. Lived there for a few years after college too. Great fishery...really underrated.

R
radarnut
john montana said:
Born and raised in whitefish, mt.

Awesome area! My brother and his family, and now my parents, live up off of Mountain Meadow RD, heading towards Tally. Love it up there.

john montana said:
Great fishery...really underrated.

You aren't kidding about that area being underrated. I've seen some beauties pulled out of the lakes and rivers/streams up there. Great ice fishing too!

J
john montana
My parents live put that way on hwy 93. Always nice to get home and hit the flathead.

H
halibuthitman
Mark Ive tried the bounce rig, frankly it resembles a big creek snag rig so closely that the guff one might recieve is not worth the style or rewards, plus in some fisheries and rivers that set up would be illegal due to the double hook with weight below it... slippery slope. I prefer to nymph dead drift and naked or with a large sofa pillow or stimulator as an indicater-

E
eggs
Bare hook a split shot and indicator.. for me!

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
Mark Ive tried the bounce rig, frankly it resembles a big creek snag rig so closely that the guff one might recieve is not worth the style or rewards, plus in some fisheries and rivers that set up would be illegal due to the double hook with weight below it... slippery slope. I prefer to nymph dead drift and naked or with a large sofa pillow or stimulator as an indicater-

i did the stimulator for an indicator yesterday and it worked great!!! very fun rig to fish

H
halibuthitman
eggs said:
Bare hook a split shot and indicator.. for me!
try a chunk of roe on there... a warm springs dry fly they call it!

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
try a chunk of roe on there... a warm springs dry fly they call it!
forgot to add the dropper "stinger" hook in there too!!!