How do you keep warm in the winter?

M
montym
Went to Hagg Lake yesterday, temps slightly below freezing when we reached. Gloves were off in the first minute, down to a sweat shirt when the temp was about 40. Nice and sunny day though, lets see what the rains bring. Looks like I worried a little too much, but I did see a few folks with full face masks and all.

Cheers
M

J
JeannaJigs
For the most part it's really not too bad. It just gets potentially miserable when it's raining and it turns to snow or freezing rain. If you're bank fishing that's when you get in your vehicle and say forget it lol. If you're in a boat you're in it for the duration and just hope you have a good jacket and some good layers. A propane heater doesn't hurt either, though my dog usually hogs the one in my boat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

B
bigboy70
I have found an that having a thin outer rain jacket acts as a insulator so I typically have a long sleeve hoody and rain jacket but I do wear waders and have sweatpants on and mist importantly wool socks! I didn't think it was that cold this weekend till I fished my float rod switched to my drift rod and by the time I got back to my float rod my jig was freezing lol

D
DrTheopolis
If I want to stay warm in winter, I stay inside. If I want to fish, I face the fact I'm going to be cold.

Neoprene waders go a looooong way to warmth (although I can't stand wearing them). I good waterproof jacket on top is key. And like they always tell you -- layers, layers, layers. Some day I'll get some fancy neoprene gloves, but for now, I'll stick with my super-thick wool fingerless, which are better than nothing, and still allow me to fish.

For the most part, I've gotten lazier these days, and try to mostly go with my friend in his driftboat, with the heater fired up.

And also... booze. Booze keeps you warm, and if it doesn't, it makes you care less about the cold.

M
montym
I am so upset with myself that I'd probably end up hitting me in a bit. Planned this trip with Tanner, drove halfway to Tillamook, then it started raining heavily. And then I remembered that I didn't have my waterproof pants on. Gloves, layers and layers of everything, coffee, everything else was there but I forgot the dang pants at home. Go on, laugh.

D
DirectDrive
montym said:
I am so upset with myself that I'd probably end up hitting me in a bit. Planned this trip with Tanner, drove halfway to Tillamook, then it started raining heavily. And then I remembered that I didn't have my waterproof pants on. Gloves, layers and layers of everything, coffee, everything else was there but I forgot the dang pants at home. Go on, laugh.
Happens to everyone.
Make up a permanent check list for winter fishing.

My summer steelhead camp list dates back to '98 or so.