Hills Creek...

Troutski
Troutski
Made it to the ramp about a half hour before sunrise this morning, the conditions were great; just a hint of wind on the surface; wispy clouds and not much of a Moon last night. All the planets were aligning just right..
Just goes to show you that Mother Nature does have a sense of humor;). My favorite lake has majorly changed this year, channels, sub structure and currents.. It was like fishing a new lake, very tough day of catching; we did catch some very respectable fish. It was the way we had to go back to basics that was cool.. I will admit the lake is unusually full for this time of year, the Winter and Spring run off must have been epic. The river actually moved away from its ancient bed, moved some serious earth and the old stump plies are completely gone. Water temp is like mid-Summer, we had to put on our thinking hats and go back to the basics. Must admit the day went by very fast, ran the craft up on a gravel bar:redface: - that was a chest pumper!! All in all we had a great day, caught some Trout and saw some major wild life; no one got hurt and we learned how to fish this new lake up by Oakridge. If you like I have some great GPS locations that you can have free....;)

Chuck

Last edited:
Chromatose
Chromatose
Good read ............Back to basics is always a good thing...........

T
Throbbit _Shane
Sounds like a fun day Troutski! Can't go wrong with fishing out in this weather! :D

H
Hawk
Another Beautiful Day...Well Done fisher friends. ..:D:cool:

J
JimBob
Hills is your favorite lake?

Thats.. kinda odd.

T
Throbbit _Shane
JimBob said:

Thats.. kinda odd.

Sounds like you havent figured the lake out like Troutski has.

J
JimBob
It's not exactly a mystery. Especially in the 20+ years i've fished there.

Just not somewhere that would tick on "favorite lakes" for me.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
JimBob said:

Thats.. kinda odd.

Your absolutely right; there are no fish in this lake... everyone should try Lookout Point or Dexter.... I hear Blue River has a ton of fish..

Chuck

L
lilsalmon
sounds fun....I have my spare reel set up for stillwater and have never used it. I will be the first to admit I don't know much about stillwater.....one day I hope to get out and give it a shot.

J
JimBob
Dude, I hear people pay thousands of dollars to fish at Junction City pond.

T
Ttrolling
JimBob said:
Dude, I hear people pay thousands of dollars to fish at Junction City pond.

Anybody heard if the crappie are biting at Hills Creek or Lookout? I would hate to miss the short season.

D
Davis541
Glad to see someone is appreciating this lake. It's a shame that it doesn't get stocked more, been fishing at hill creek for 18+ years. Caught quite a few nice fish out of it and you can't beat the scenary. What ramp did you cast off at troutski? Taking the boat out tomorrow gonna try our luck. An any tips on what there biting on?

T
Ttrolling
Hi Davis541 or others, do you have any pointers (locations or landmarks) on bank fishing for crappie at Hills Creek? This will be my first trip. If I do well, I plan to take the boat out on Sunday. Davis541 were you planning on fishing Sunday too? Also, since you may be familiar with this as well, not sure if you crappie fish, but what would you say they be biting on this time of year?

D
Davis541
ttrolling if the weather is warm they usually bite quite well, either of the 2 bridges ct and bingham bridge are both decent spots for crappie. i've always had goodluck with red head white tail jigs at bingham and usually later in the evening is when they seem to be best to catch. An a friend of mine just went crappie fishing and caught 8 decent sized ones so there biting. An possibly might be up sunday as well.

Troutski
Troutski
Davis541 said:
Glad to see someone is appreciating this lake. It's a shame that it doesn't get stocked more, been fishing at hill creek for 18+ years. Caught quite a few nice fish out of it and you can't beat the scenary. What ramp did you cast off at troutski? Taking the boat out tomorrow gonna try our luck. An any tips on what there biting on?

I usually launch from the back ramp on the Middle Fork, from there I can reach my favorite water. During the Summer months I usually fish the Hills Creek arm.
You are right it is quite an amazing lake, so many species of fish here something is always on the bite.

Chuck

T
Ttrolling
Thanks guys for the information, I am so looking forward to this. I have a five day weekend starting now. I will definitely check in during the next five days to give reports.

D
Davis541
So the report for last saturday... Caught about 9 planters, nothing to spectacular until we got right in front of the dam buoys, then hooked into something that near spooled me by the time we turned to go chase it down an must of gave it to much slack mid fight an threw the hook, had my heart racing, haven't hooked up to anything like that for a while since 2009 when i pulled a 8lb bull trout out of hills creek. Had lunch out on the lake with the family and had amazing weather as well. All in all a perfect day! Going to try my luck at Dexter and Lookout this weekend.

J
JimBob
Wow, that must have been a hell of a fight. Your heart musta skipped when you saw it was a bull.

D
Davis541
On lightweight gear you bet it was, haha i didn't even realize what it was at first sort of looked like a laker, but i was nah there not in here. So just to be safe i let it go like I do with all the fish i catch in Hills Creek. Then get back to the ramp and see that it was a bull. So all ended well lol.