High murky water steelhead tactics ???

F
fish4life14
Just like the title says....i know fishing in those conditions can be hard to catch in but what tips and tricks do people have up there sleeve to fish those conditions?

O
OnTheDrop
Plunking Spreader, 4-8oz of lead ( Depending on flows ) 2 ft leader to a 2/0 hook, Spin Glow with bait of choice. ( Eggs/Shrimp)

:lol:

A
Aton
Watch fishing shows and tie up leaders! I've managed to catch a few in high muddy water, drifting the biggest corkie you can buy, but I have yet to be successful while the water is on the rapid rise...like it is right now.

S
Steel4life
I second the watch informational shows for new tactics. And tie leaders, make jigs, and look for fishing equipment that is on sale and stock up.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm partial to explosives.

P
plumb2fish
Or a gill net Jamie��

F
fish4life14
what do yall think would be good on the wilson right now as its rising ?

T
troutmasta
nothing. Its at 9ft right now.

I was gonna do some high water clack fishing this morning but its at almost 20 ft at estacada

N
Native Fisher
To be successful in high rising water you have to find something that makes the fish stop. A waterfall or chute/big drop is a good place to start. Another option is to find a spot where clean water is coming into the stream, enough that it makes a cleaner patch of water for the fish to rest in. I know a few places like this on my home water, but honestly I don't bother anymore unless I know the river is going to be out for an extended period and I just have to get out of the house. It is really is better, imo, to stay home catch up on honey do's and tie some leaders.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Siuslaw is at 13.3 as of Sunday morning but I have a feeling, wink wink say no more, that it will kick out some really nice fish as it drops this week...

J
JonT
Concentrate closer to the bank.

my2labs
my2labs
Drift fishing close to the bank. I do well in higher, muddy conditions because the fish are all nestled in tight. If you can find some eddy water that is moving enough to drift a corkie and roe through your giving yourself a fair chance. Then just cover the grid and hope you place it right in front of one.

I tried that a bit today but had no luck.

Catching steelies is tough as it is..... Maybe the honey do, tackle prep advice is not bad on these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R
_RJ_
Closer to the bank and slower water works for me.

S
smoky
does anyone know how long it takes the river to fall back down to good fishing levels

S
smoky
the Wilson river that is