Hey bass guys, a few questions...

C_Run
C_Run
I haven't fished for bass before other than the salt water types. Since I've been studying the forum for awhile and now have a kayak to get around in , I want to give it a shot this year. It looks like there are plenty of places to go. Since I have started buying stuff, I thought this was the time to maybe ask for some help. I take it winter is not the optimal season for bass fishing because of the temps. so, what months are the best? I see some pictures of some nice fish starting to show up already. It looks like the rods I have might not cut it (6' ultralight for trout and 8'6" for steelhead with nothing in between). What's a good choice? I've been eyeballing some prospective spots near home. I noticed how muddy they all got after the floods but now they are gradually clarifying some. Was wondering how the clarity issue might play into deciding whether or not to go and also tactics. Thanks, guys.

Last edited:
H
hawgcaller
start with a 7ft mh casting or spinning, whichever you prefer. It is a pretty good starter rod

T
tomriker
my place is pretty muddy, but im still castching bass. use darker colored tackle when it's really dirty. but now that i think about it.. i used black nomater what the water looks like lol... march-june is my favorite time of year, but mid september-november is probably the most fun. thats when you're most likley to catch the fattest bass

B
Bassdad54
well if you are like a lot of the bass crowd you will want to try for them anytime you can make time to go.They will be biting somwhere sooner or later

R
ryan808
If you fishing off the Yak, you might want a slightly longer rod to be able to cast further. Maybe a 7'6" M to MH rod with a mod-fast to fast tip so you can load up when casting from a sitting position.

T
tomriker
ryan808 said:
If you fishing off the Yak, you might want a slightly longer rod to be able to cast further. Maybe a 7'6" M to MH rod with a mod-fast to fast tip so you can load up when casting from a sitting position.

good call, i didn't even think of that

R
rl206
ryan808 said:

+1 For some dumb reason I was ignorant to this at first, flipping w/ a 6ft md action rod, after making what now I have decided were dumb purchases I love my 7'6" Lami for jigs/flippin/small swimbaits. I did a lot of fishing out of my float tube, since youll be in a kayak, I can say from experience, the extra length will be your friend for sensitivity and hooksetting power. In bass fishing, just like everything else, you get what you pay for but nothing needs to cost an arm and a leg.

C_Run
C_Run
Thanks , you guys. I will take all this under advisement and start putting something together so I can make my bass fishing debut later this spring. Hope I can get some of those hogs. Let me know if you think of anything else.

Chris

Last edited:
H
hawgcaller
I fish from a pontoon boat regularly and I prefer a 6 and a half to seven foot rod. Especially when trying to pitch stuff into cover, I can get my boat super close to the trees and a little bit shorter rod makes it easier to skip baits under trees and such. Just my opinion, or preference. Also, pick up a pack of senko's, they are pretty deadly and I have put a few of my friends that have never caught bass on nice fish with a good old senko. Find a good looking bank with some nice cover and throw that bad boy in there and let it sink to the bottom. If they don't pick it up right away, lift your rod tip a couple of feet and let it sink again. Repeat until your bait is well away from the cover and reel in and recast. Also, a black jig like tr suggested work dynamite as well.

T
tomriker
i REFUSE to use a senko... overrated worm imo :lol::lol::lol:

C
catfishman89
tomriker said:
i REFUSE to use a senko... overrated worm imo :lol::lol::lol:

Why no love for the senko? My dad and cousin hated the senko until i kept catching twice as many fish as them. They started getting angry at me because what ever they tried i kept outfishing them with a senko.

T
tomriker
becuase the guys i fish with use senkos, and i catch more/bigger fish on my jigs, if i wanted to catch 2-3 pounders all day i'd throw a senko

F
Finneus Polebender
tomriker said:
becuase the guys i fish with use senkos, and i catch more/bigger fish on my jigs, if i wanted to catch 2-3 pounders all day i'd throw a senko

Gotta give ya that one "truth" we catch a bunch of smaller ones on them ,although the second largest fish I ever caught at your place was a senko fish. The biggest I think was the one I caught topwater on a toad the first year we fished. Would direct you to the 3 baits thread think it is fairly obvious what the unanamous favorite baits around here are. Other than that a lot of patience till they move up to feed before spawning. Generally depends on temp/weather start movin up around her as early as late feb to march sometimes if cold as late as april. During the spawn is probably the easiest time to find your way to a lunker again depends on temp but usually sometime in april .

H
Hendo30
I can see the "No Love" for certain baits/lures/techniques....For me what ever works for me at the time and really fish of any size puts a smile on my face. Maybe my mind will change once I am able to get into several 7-8lb fatties....its easy for me to get tunnel vision and only use what I may have been catching on the previous trip. I learn something new everytime out and from our conversations on OFF. I have been a big fan of the plastics but due to this thread and TomRikers love of his Jigs my next time out I am going to give them more of a chance.

T
TimberTodd
I fish from a Nucanoe (canoe/yak hybrid). I use a 6'8" med. with a fast action and a 7' med. hvy. with a fast action. both work great from a low sitting position. I have my favorite techniques but I have to agree with Hendo, as long as I am catching fish Im a happy camper.

T
tomriker
Colby loves jigs too! Almost as much as his precious swimbaits I bet :)

R
ryan808
Senko...senko...senko...:lol:

T
tomriker
Baby fish, baby fish, baby fish!!!

R
ryan808
nutria...nutria...nutria,lol.

H
hawgcaller
tomriker said:

I am sure that someone who has never bass fished would love to catch 2-3 pounders all day.