Help with bass fishing!?

W
WillamiteNewbie
i'm a beginner and i feel like i got the trout thing down, pretty basic. but my friend took me bass fishing yesterday he caught 3 smallies. We used spinners and a few cranks. but the cranks i think that i have aren't good for oregon waters? idk i don't really know anything about bass fishing just know it's still early in the season. i'm in the Willamette area and just want to know what is working for you guys. top water if that works? certain cranks? spinners? whatever it is give me your knowledge. i saw my buddy catch these and i'm addicted like i think bass fishing is going to be my number one favorite species to fish haha.

L
Lowell Life Fisherman
yamasenkos by gary yamamoto, they are plastic worms. try them they work wonders for both small and large mouth. try them wacky rigged whick means just hooked straight one time right in the middle and when it gets to the bottom just twitch it and watch your line for extra movements and twitches. then set the hook

T
tomriker
try 3/8 oz jigs!

but i may be bias towards jigs...

T
tomriker
also... Funny how everyone says to use senko's. That only works if you throw them right in front of their faces. Chances are a lot less in catching them if you don't know where their at

T
Throbbit _Shane
Use senko type of worms. Lots of different brands are out there besides the gary yamaotos. I personally like the Yum Dingers. If there is a lot of weeds and woody stuff use the texas style of hooking the worm so u dont snag the weeds and wood. I prefer wacky style but a lot of time its hard pull off with weeds and stuff. I believe you'll catch more bass using plastic worms especially when first starting out. Good luck out there and tight lines!

L
Lowell Life Fisherman
ok i will def. have to dis-agree with tom, i have personally seen bass come out of no where to slam my senko. im not saying they are the best, but im not going to fill anyones head with facts that i dont know for sure are true........... ......... ........ chances are good if i give someone info it actually works really good for me. i think what tom meant was he has not had much luck with them. so my advice man, give em a try and see if they work for you bro.

L
Lowell Life Fisherman
i agree with shane. there are a lot of diff types and they all work good. and shane hit it right on the head with the texas rig it also works really well.

R
ryan808
Throw a wackey rog setup with some sort of finess worm or creature bait. The added weight will allow you to work the bait faster and help to find where the fish are sitting on the water column. If you want to use a senko, I would wacky rig it with a Neko weighted setup, that way you got weight to work the bait faster. I dont know if the Willy is moving water right now, but a weightless senko is pretty much worthless if the water is moving so fast that it doesn't have time to sink down the water column.

T
tomriker
i just prefer using a jig over a worm, i think they are like throwing powerbait for trout. easy... if anything find some giant brush hogs or other nasty looking creature baits and throw them on a shakey head or a slide weight above the hook and rig them texas style on a 4/0-5/0 hook

R
ryan808
No dought on the senko's, that was my main stay long ago. I believe there are quicker and as effective ways to fish for bass, again my take. The senko is an easy way to get into bass fishing, as you grow I will bet that you'll out grow the senko too. Nothing wrong with them, it actually takes a lot out of technicalness out of bass fishing. Call me crazy, but I like the technicallness.

F
Finneus Polebender
Would say I am with the senko gang ,however I would be lying BOC all the way, will say the weighted hook/ shakey head method " thanks Ryan " has only added to the most diverse bass bait on the planet . the best part of bass is the fact you can catch them so many ways so I am with ya all the way on the " technicality " but if ya want reel hawgs its pretty obvious theres the jig and the swimbait. However being your screen name implies willamette river bass fishing I would go senko wackyor texas on a drop shot or a weighted hook.

T
the_intimidator03
My go to bass rig is a 4 inch curl tail worm fished weightless..... but i dont fish bass MUCH. A close second to that is tube jigs.