Hells Canyon/Snake River fishing trip?

A
AndSand
Hi!

I am thinking about heading out to the Hells Canyon area for a night or two of camping and fishing.
What I'm looking for is some good fishing in a scenic and untouched setting.
I live in Eugene and have not been out to that area before. I would really appreciate some help with answering the following questions:

Is right now a good time to go? What type of fishing can I expect this time of year? Mainly trout? How do you guys catch 'em?
Is it easy to get away from "civilization" and have a good experience as a bank angler?
Are there any good camp grounds in the area within close vicinity of good fishing?

Thanks for your help fellow anglers!

troutdude
troutdude
That's a freakin' LONG drive, for just one night.

Unless the water temp, is very cool, the trout will be down deep...in the channels, below steep drop OFF's, etc. Good luck.

S
sapo
Ya holy crap that's a crazy drive for one night.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but one of the best, if not the best trout river in Oregon is the Owyhee..plenty of campgrounds there. It's very scenic and fishing when the sun sets over the hills there is tough to beat.

If you're willing to drive all the way to Hells canyon, you're willing to drive to the Owhyee..it's really far too lol. Best brown trout fishing in Oregon, some 5 pound plus rainbows in there too.

It's good all year but right now is sort of an off season for the anglers, they usually get there in the biggest numbers when the big hatches are going on. Closest town is a tiny one like 10 miles away..Not sure if the O is what you're looking for, but it is fantastic if you decide to go.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Personally, I would head for Diamond Lake from Eugene. But, hope you come back with some great pics no matter where you travel to for a great fishing adventure! :thumb:

A
AndSand
Thanks!

The plan would be to stop somewhere else along the way there as well and make it more than 1-2 nights in total. The landscape out there looks just incredible and what better excuse to go see it? :)

sapo said:
Ya holy crap that's a crazy drive for one night.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but one of the best, if not the best trout river in Oregon is the Owyhee..plenty of campgrounds there. It's very scenic and fishing when the sun sets over the hills there is tough to beat.

If you're willing to drive all the way to Hells canyon, you're willing to drive to the Owhyee..it's really far too lol. Best brown trout fishing in Oregon, some 5 pound plus rainbows in there too.

It's good all year but right now is sort of an off season for the anglers, they usually get there in the biggest numbers when the big hatches are going on. Closest town is a tiny one like 10 miles away..Not sure if the O is what you're looking for, but it is fantastic if you decide to go.

troutdude
troutdude
If that's the case, maybe stopping to fish the John Day River would be an idea to ponder? (or the Ochoco)