Got a new rod

W
wozniasm
Sinkline said:
Woz, thanks for the info. I called but the lady at the store doesn't know so I'll call the main Orvis store shortly.

They do have 10' models in the Clearwater line-up. I'm just trying to find out if they added a 6wt. to that line-up as they added a 10' 7wt as a late release to the line-up.

Randy

Good luck with getting what you'd like Randy!

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
W
wozniasm
Sinkline said:
Well they don't have the 10' 6wt. The fellow told me they added the 10' 7wt to the line-up after the original release because of so many request from the steelhead guys around the Great lakes area. He said he was adding my request for a 10' 6wt to a list of others and if they see enough interest that model could happen in the future.

Randy

Hope the list gets sufficient to get it processed. Good luck!

W
wozniasm
Did get OFF to McIver this morning and fished from below the hatchery and upstream.
More hiking than I've done in a while and my knees sure let me know - lots of manuvering over rocks.
Had a small trout on to my legs and it spit the hook and several hits all on a EH Caddis. Only one bush caught for the entire 4 1/2 hours. Left when the rafters started coming though they were all very respectful.
Several bankers out seeing nothing caught by them while I was there.
OFFsprey picked a 12-14 incher up about 20 feet in front of me. Deer nibbling foliage right across from me for at least an hour. Very relaxing time!
Lots of trout in the water hitting the top, just finicky. Saw a few big splashes so I'm thinking steelies hitting a bug on the water.
The rod is excellent! No line snapping at all - got the timing right; very easy to load and shoot line.
May be an evil (to some) Orvis brand but I'm highly satisfied...

T
TimberTodd
Sounds like a great day breaking in the new rod.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
W
wozniasm
Sinkline said:
Knees..., why I will likely never fish streams again. :(

Glad ya like the new rod. Sure, they are made over seas but damn little isn't these days. :rolleyes:

Randy

Overseas kids need to eat too even if they're sweaty!:protest:

C
ColoradoTroutMan
wozniasm said:
Did get OFF to McIver this morning and fished from below the hatchery and upstream.
More hiking than I've done in a while and my knees sure let me know - lots of manuvering over rocks.
Had a small trout on to my legs and it spit the hook and several hits all on a EH Caddis. Only one bush caught for the entire 4 1/2 hours. Left when the rafters started coming though they were all very respectful.
Several bankers out seeing nothing caught by them while I was there.
OFFsprey picked a 12-14 incher up about 20 feet in front of me. Deer nibbling foliage right across from me for at least an hour. Very relaxing time!
Lots of trout in the water hitting the top, just finicky. Saw a few big splashes so I'm thinking steelies hitting a bug on the water.
The rod is excellent! No line snapping at all - got the timing right; very easy to load and shoot line.
May be an evil (to some) Orvis brand but I'm highly satisfied...

Good news and information I can refer to while considering an upgrade to my current setup.

Glad you are happy with it!

S
stanster
Woz, I ended up getting the same set up you got at around the same time. Mine was from the Bend store. I am very pleased with it, only had it out twice ( due mostly to being busy with saltwater action off shore). My next goal is to become a mediocre fly fisherman. At the rate I'm going it will likely take a year or two. Congrats on a sweet set up!!

W
wozniasm
stanster said:
Woz, I ended up getting the same set up you got at around the same time. Mine was from the Bend store. I am very pleased with it, only had it out twice ( due mostly to being busy with saltwater action off shore). My next goal is to become a mediocre fly fisherman. At the rate I'm going it will likely take a year or two. Congrats on a sweet set up!!

Glad you like it. I'm quite satisfied and hope to get more action on it at the Annual Trillium Campout.
You should try to go!

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
J
john montana
I just won an Orvis Access 8 wt and Access 8 wt reel in their carp fly fishing tournament last weekend. Anxious to get a line on it and cast it. I have never owned an orvis rod, nice to see good reports on how they cast.

W
wozniasm
Sinkline said:
Woz, I cast your new rod out in the paarking lot at the Orvis store this morning. What a sweet casting rod she is! Gotta be one of the best rods I have ever cast in that price range for sure..., maybe thee very best??? :cool: If they would have had a 10' for a 6wt. I might have come home with it!

Randy
Glad you liked it Randy! It's my first Orvis and had no idea but very pleased with it.
I'm trying to hit Harriet Saturday morn with the toon and try it nymphing before it gets too hot.
Just saw the forecast and that stinks at 101 F!
Back up will be Estacada Lake at McIver....

Congrats to you too J. Montana! You're gonna love it!

J
john montana
Just tried it out a bit tonight. Very fast, but with the right line I can tell it will serve a purpose (thinking gravel bar carp and long casts into the wind.)

Good luck at Harriet! I might actually bust out a 4 wt next week and meet some guys up on the clack for an evening of trout and bs.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
J
john montana
Good people at the orvis store. I have done a couple of presentations there, usually in the spring.

Here is a results post from my blog Randy:
http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/2012/08/carp-acolypse-results.html

My team ("Got Backing!") cleaned up! Fishing was tough, I think only nine fish were caught amongst the 25 or so anglers. I got six, and one of my teammates caught one, so heading into the judging we had 7 of the 9 fish on the board (I think). We swept all but one of the prizes...we lost out on the "smallest carp" prize which was an Orvis Helios! $800 rod for the smallest carp caught! Those guys know how to throw a tournament! Hah...it was really a good time. I hope they do it again next year.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
J
john montana
Most of the guys waded...but there were three or four boats as well. It was up at banks lake in WA. The tourny was fly fishing only and prizes were mostly bass on length. Orvis had us all carry a folded up measuring matt and just take photos as proof...it worked very well.