Good spots for bank fishing for largemouth?

portlandrain
portlandrain
Hi everyone,

First post here. Been getting lots of good info recently though!

I used to fish for bass a lot in Vernonia Lake as a kid but haven't done much of any fishing in the last 8 years or so. I got my old rod and reel back out this week and bought some simple tackle. I'm getting anxious to catch a bass!

I don't have a boat right now, but I'm thinking about picking up a small kayak or pontoon. So for now, I'm looking for some places within an hour or so of Beaverton that have good access to bank fishing, and a high likelihood of at least a few bites.

I tried Bethany and commonwealth lakes this past week, but only brought a spinnerbait with me and it was mid day. No luck.

Any ideas on places and maybe times and tackle?

Thanks! I'm glad to be here :)

B
Berg03
plastics.. hagg lake. anywhere you can cast into the water there are bass in there.

portlandrain
portlandrain
Ok, Thanks! I've been there a million times but not much for fishing. Do they open the gates real early?

Plastic worms then you mean right? I've been reading about senko worms? Are those useful around here?

B
Berg03
Senkos are probably the most popular around here. Work great at hagg. Opens at sun rise and closes at sunset.

B
Berg03
^^ but the sign at the boat ramps say sunrise to sunset... I would hate to tell him he can get there early and he is sitting at a gate haha!

troutdude
troutdude
I was referring to the check-in gate, at the entrance, where you buy your park pass. It is always open early. And the ramps have also been open early; and least the half-dozen times that I've been there.

You can call Washington County Parks & Rec--and they will give you the number, for the entrance gate peeps. Then you can get the information, straight from the horses mouth.

portlandrain
portlandrain
Thanks for your help guys!
I dropped by Hagg this morning/afternoon. Was using a weightless senko set up and caught one! It was my first ever there and first in about 8 years. So much better than hatchery trout.

IMAG0271.jpg