Good bank fishing in the Salem Woodburn area?

G
grizzlynitemare
Hello all. New to the site. Im just wondering where are some good spots to bank fish around this area? I grew up fishing the Central Oregon high lakes and rivers/ponds in the Eugene area and haven't found or heard of any spots besides St. Louis.. I live in Woodburn and don't really want to travel more than about 30 miles. Oh, and I dont really care what kind of fish, as long as I can catch it. :]

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum and the area. There are quite a few places to bank fish around you. The best advice I can give you is to check out the "Urban Hawg" thread. It has so much info you just may go cross-eyed. :lol:

18406ej
18406ej
Grizzly,

Welcome to OFF.

Pond angling in our area is rapidly heading toward the Summer warm-water shutdown.

Two good Steelhead areas that I am aware of down here: I-5 SB Rest Stop down near Jefferson provides access for banking the N Santiam. There are also a number of very good bank spots along Hwy 22 (East of I-5), primarily within public parks along the N Santiam.

For Trout, the best places I know of for banking are:

Big Cliff Reservoir, which is a regulating basin for Detroit Dam (Hwy 22 at or near MP 38; continue past BC Dam itself and watch for a roadway to the right). The water here stays cool all year as the runoff from Detroit comes from the outlets deep down at the base of the dam. Big Cliff also has a population of Whitefish and a large number of larger hold-over trout from past seasons. I just called ODFW because I see that Big Cliff is not on the stocking schedule this year. The reason for this is because they are doing some work on the control gates on BC dam itself. I personally don't see this as a problem because a lot of the braver Detroit Trout enjoy the thrill sport of "Riding the Chute", a one-way turbine boosted adrenaline-junkie's speed ride to the lower Big Cliff waters. All of the waters along lake front are good, but I have had the best luck fishing the entry canal just East of the parking area. Note: Big Cliff is one of the most picturesque bodies of water in our region.

There is a very nice spot for banking Trout at Detroit Lake, which is immediately East of Big Cliff Dam. Drive past Detroit Dam for a mile or two and you will see several roadside pullouts lakeside. Park here, grab your gear (and any expensive items you might have in car, just in case) and start looking for a place to walk down to the water's edge. Some, but not all of these access points can be steep, my favorite spot being down a slope that while not insurmountable, did make my bringing a rope to tie to a tree to help keep traction going up and down a really smart move (30' should do it). The waters in this part of the Reservoir drop off from the bank at a terrific rate along the rock-covered bottom, providing excellent Trout habitat. Using tackle in the area is a sure way to empty your wallet in about 15 minutes or so, and floating bait off of the bottom is equally stupid. I use a bobber with about 10' of line and Powerbait in any color, as none of the fish around here have ever mentioned having a particular favorite shade.

For those seeking a more urban feel, angling off of the concrete Detroit Dam itself is lawful, and the hateful stares of the octogenarian regulars that you pass by with rod in hand to invade "their" space makes even the most homesick visitor from The Bronx immediately feel right at home.

Question: Should one attempt to access Detroit waters at these mentioned spots when the Reservoir is lowered in the Winter? Absolutely! Any idiot or person with a serious death wish should freely venture these areas with their unstable ground and the sheer drop-offs of 50 feet or more. So come on in, the water's fine! Once you land.

Some of these spots may be just a little over your 30-mile suggested limit, but hey- we are talking about fishing here!
PM me if you wish for details if you wish, and welcome again,

Eamon

T
Thoreau
If you just want to catch fish, go to the Willamette. It's hard not to catch Pikeminnow there.

H
HereFishy
I've always been able to pull more than a few Pikeminnow out of the Willamette, near the Wheatland Ferry boat ramp. It's not too far from St. Louis but it costs 5 bucks to park in the day use lot. There's a trail on the right. Half way between the parking lot and the boat ramp. Follow that trail down to the water and you're there. A worm off of the bottom works best. One or two ounces of weight and a 24 inch leader.

Happy Fishing,
Kyle