Fresh steelhead pic - also what is wrong with people

K
Kingswebber4
Hi, I'm a new member to the forum even though I search it weekly in sight of what's going on around the rest of Oregon. I fish the Wilson and Nestucca -- mostly from the bank. I landed a nice 7lber this week which is posted.

I really hate to complain but I have to ask if anyone has experienced the huge amount of disrespect from half the bank fisherman on this River. I mean... this river is fish-able for 20+ miles and the past few times I've gone this summer I've had horrible respect among other fisherman. I can't be racist here but you get the picture. Two weeks in a row my buddy and I will be fishing a hole (2 people max) one of our favorite hike-to holes. One hour into fishing, we always get 1-2 people that think it's okay to plop 10 feet away from us with all their gear and fish over our lines like they don't understand. Does anyone have any advice because I always end up moving location even though I shouldn't be forced? I wonder if these people even have a fishing license sometimes. Anyways I had to vent here because PEOPLE need to show some respect on the River. It's 30+ Miles long, there are a TON of bank spots. If you are reading this and are one of those inconsiderate fisherman who like to P*SS people off, I'm letting you know to show some respect. Also goes for all the garbage people leave around. That is all.

Keep the Wilson clean and fish hard!

Thanks for reading.

IMG_2923.jpg

Last edited:
F
flocaster
Nice fish man. That sure is one picturesque piece of water behind you

T
Throbbit _Shane
Nice fish!

If they dont speak English I'm not sure what id do, probably just leave. If they do speak the language id inform them that casting should be done in order starting with the person lower. But you said there is no room so maybe you should tell them this? Or if they bring beer share the hole with them? :D

E
eugene1
Nice fish, and welcome to the OFF.

If people are wrong you gotta do some educating, maybe let them know that casting over your grear is not good. I suppose everybody starts out and needs some help?

Best,

Kingswebber4 said:
Hi, I'm a new member to the forum even though I search it weekly in sight of what's going on around the rest of Oregon. I fish the Wilson and Nestucca -- mostly from the bank. I landed a nice 7lber this week which is posted.

I really hate to complain but I have to ask if anyone has experienced the huge amount of disrespect from half the bank fisherman on this River. I mean... this river is fish-able for 20+ miles and the past few times I've gone this summer I've had horrible respect among other fisherman. I can't be racist here but you get the picture. Two weeks in a row my buddy and I will be fishing a hole (2 people max) one of our favorite hike-to holes. One hour into fishing, we always get 1-2 people that think it's okay to plop 10 feet away from us with all their gear and fish over our lines like they don't understand. Does anyone have any advice because I always end up moving location even though I shouldn't be forced? I wonder if these people even have a fishing license sometimes. Anyways I had to vent here because PEOPLE need to show some respect on the River. It's 30+ Miles long, there are a TON of bank spots. If you are reading this and are one of those inconsiderate fisherman who like to P*SS people off, I'm letting you know to show some respect. Also goes for all the garbage people leave around. That is all.

Keep the Wilson clean and fish hard!

Thanks for reading.

K
Kingswebber4
Thanks, it was a fun one too.

Most of them don't speak English, and I bet they are use to standing in lines should-to-shoulder (At least that's from what I've seen near the guide shop.) I carry a knife now to quickly cut any lines that cross mine intentionally :D

H
halibuthitman
this is not meant to be racist... but its gonna sting like racism, trust me, I have fished a very large chunk of this world.. and if those guys are hispanic or from the Baltic region of this planet and you pull out a knife and act aggressively... they WILL have a weapon, and will be much more proficient with its use than you.. a polite attempt at education will probably work wonders.. and if they are a bunch of punk Americans slapping them around will work... but an imigrant 25 year old from a 3rd world country trying to feed a family out of the river could carve his name in you with a dull rock... just sayin

S
SeanC
I have seen it from all kinds. I took my daughterto the N.Santiam and and older guy was trying to claim a small rock, he started shoving a 20 something year old and grabbing his rod. I'm supprised the guy didn't end up in the water. There are a lot of inconsiderate people out there, but there are a lot of good ones too. If talking to them doesn't work I would probably just move. I've done that in the past only to get on better fishing. Karma?

J
JeannaJigs
Great fish, great scenery. River looks perfect.

Being as I am not a white male in my 30's, I have had all kinds of shirt pulled on me like that because they assume I'm not going to react aggressively and i will move on. This is generally true (I have had my hostile moments with diarrhagia of the mouth). That said, when I have a visible firearm or am with guys, this crap never happens. I rarely fish alone these days since I had a dangerous encounter last winter while fishing by myself, fortunately my dog is awesome, and quite possibly saved my life.

But basically If you can't talk to them, or you do and it just goes to hell in one ear and out the other, and they aren't intimidated by you, it's time to move on. Like you said, 30 miles of river, maybe you'll find a new spot and be heartily rewarded for the effort.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I hear ya on point one.

Also - I know that exact piece of water (fish it myself) - you did damn good since you didn't spook the fish. Even fishing it last winter - that hole was almost crystal clear and the fish that it held wouldn't open their mouths except to breathe. If I myself didn't spook them - my line/lures/bobbers would. Nice job!

K
Kingswebber4
SeanC said:
I have seen it from all kinds. I took my daughterto the N.Santiam and and older guy was trying to claim a small rock, he started shoving a 20 something year old and grabbing his rod. I'm supprised the guy didn't end up in the water. There are a lot of inconsiderate people out there, but there are a lot of good ones too. If talking to them doesn't work I would probably just move. I've done that in the past only to get on better fishing. Karma?

Good point, although I don't like confrontation with people like that, a consealed weapons permit wouldn't be a bad thing to have. They can fish dorans pond for dinner food if they can't obey the fishing regs and common courtesy. I wish OSP was around more

M
mahmichael
Well, I'm not originally from US (and not Hispanic) but I should say that all Hispanic people that I encountered on water were very friendly. Even more friendly than the white fishermen!

I usually carry a small pepper spray with me. That works better than a knife and it's not harmful! I carry them for dangerous animals if happen to be there, not for people as they are always friendly.

K
Kingswebber4
GungasUncle said:
I hear ya on point one.

Also - I know that exact piece of water (fish it myself) - you did damn good since you didn't spook the fish. Even fishing it last winter - that hole was almost crystal clear and the fish that it held wouldn't open their mouths except to breathe. If I myself didn't spook them - my line/lures/bobbers would. Nice job!

The key is you can't spook them and go just before day break when they can't see the line, ive also seen tem jump around early before sunrise. Bugs seem good to eat then. But you're right, when they see you the bite is off and you're pretty much just wasting your time there.

E
eugene1
Good point, most fishermen are white and there are bad apples everywhere...

mahmichael said:
Well, I'm not originally from US (and not Hispanic) but I should say that all Hispanic people that I encountered on water were very friendly. Even more friendly than the white fishermen!

I usually carry a small pepper spray with me. That works better than a knife and it's not harmful! I carry them for dangerous animals if happen to be there, not for people as they are always friendly.

K
Kingswebber4
mahmichael said:

The Hispanics that seem to walk right next to me and start fishing literally every time I hit the Wilson have never been friendly to me or my buddy. Pepper spray would be nice but a gun handle sticking out of your coat would intimidate me enough to move away-- and that's what it takes these days with those type of people.

W
waco
:rolleyes:

S
steelie_killa
My advice to other fishermans....let them know that theres not enough room for everyone to fish here...dont b a jerk about it...some will understand n leave...if they give u crap...i suggest u pick up n leave to a new spot....a lot of these guys carry conceal n jus waiting for a reason to use it. jus my two cents...live to fish another day

bass
bass
Great job on the fish.

As for being crowded, I have only had the problem on lakes. I usually just say "Excuse me, but you are crowding me. Can you please move down a bit". That has worked every time. Each time, the person was happy to move and did not realize that they were crowding me. Perhaps I have been lucky, but that was worked well for me. My back up plan (which I have never had to resort to) is to send my 8 year old over to ask them about every aspect of what they are doing :)

S
SeanC
bass said:
Great job on the fish.

As for being crowded, I have only had the problem on lakes. I usually just say "Excuse me, but you are crowding me. Can you please move down a bit". That has worked every time. Each time, the person was happy to move and did not realize that they were crowding me. Perhaps I have been lucky, but that was worked well for me. My back up plan (which I have never had to resort to) is to send my 8 year old over to ask them about every aspect of what they are doing :)

lmao. That is a great idea.

B
BobbiDollPDX
waco said:

eggs said:
Stop being so white :lol:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!

And FYI, if race wasn't an issue...race wouldn't have been mentioned.

Everyone has some sort of prejudice, it's how we deal with it that makes the difference.

I'm down with the brown baby :dance:

Last edited: