Fly tying and patterns sharing thread

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice ties, love the black one on the top

brandon4455
brandon4455
Hotwire Mega stone

Hotwire Mega stone

a pattern based off the mega prince i created a few days ago..very unique an fishy looking can't wait to test it!

Hook: daiichi 1710 size 10

Bead: 1/8 gold

Thread: black ultra thread 70

Weight: 0.20lead (one piece one each side of hook shank to shape body)

Tail: brown goose biots

Rib: gold ultra wire

Body:amber ultra wire

thorax & collar : pheasant tail ice dub

Hackle: partridge

Legs& antenna : barred crazy legs golden yellow/pearl flake

Wings: white goose biots

brandon4455
brandon4455
March brown dun

March brown dun

heres a dry i came up with for the march brown hatch, will work for mayflies in general just adjust color and size.
for the wing i tie it in like a post on a parachute dry but wind my hackle in close behind and infront of it to make it just a wing.
to make the ice dub manage-able i take a decent amount, cut one side to make it even and flat. then fold it in half to make it thick, cut the end even then tie it in like a parachute post. then i trim to make it the same height as the hackle

Hook size 12-14 2x long dry fly hook

Thread: ultra thread 70 brown

Tail: 3 pheasant tail fibers dyed brown

Body: brown goose biot

Hackle: grizzly dyed brown

Wing: pheasant tail ice dub

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Looks buggy and fishy for sure, Brandon.

brandon4455
brandon4455
feel like im in a candy store.. found the macro setting on moms digital (mine doesn't have one but its for fishing so oh well :)

heres a better shot of the variation of a shortly dubbed egg suckin leech i tie, size 2-6 egg hook, shrimp pink crosscut rabbit, heavy chrome plated lead eyes and some flame colored sts trilobal, ive hooked 2 steelies on this so far but none landed. im guessing it will be good for coastal coho as well (dead drifted under and indicator)

F
FlyBum
If that's the case, send them my way LOL :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
Sinkline said:
All kinds of good stuff being tied in here lately!

Brandon, your tying skills have really come around for no more time than you have been at it!

I've been tying pupa off and on for several days, my eyes are killin' me. I don't know what's got into me, I usually never tie much in advance of fishing season. I guess I like my pupa and don't expect to change them much. I'm usually afraid if I tie up a bunch of stuff in advance then I'll experiment and tie a variation I like better then I won't use the ones I tied in advance. I know it's goofy thought, but that's me. :rolleyes:

Randy

thanks randy! I get the same way, sometimes ill change my mind about an fly pattern. ive been know to tear a fly or two apart to re tie them different if i dont like what i see :lol:

brandon4455
brandon4455
stocking up for spring trout! most of the fish in my dozen or so area streams dont fully turn to eating dries until atleast mid june, they like to stick to the bottom and eat nymphs but a few will slurp dries,you just wont catch a lot of fish that way. preffered method is two nymphs and a strike indicator. Note: because of the angle in this pic my possie buggers look like crap..ignore that they actually look quite nice :lol:

F
FlyBum
hillard6 said:
My second day tying fly's. Been on a tying binge tho ha. Had lot better ones to put on but wouldn't upload. Tips welcome.

Cool, ya never know? and welcome to the place :)

I
I <3 <><
brandon4455 said:
stocking up for spring trout! most of the fish in my dozen or so area streams dont fully turn to eating dries until atleast mid june, they like to stick to the bottom and eat nymphs but a few will slurp dries,you just wont catch a lot of fish that way. preffered method is two nymphs and a strike indicator. Note: because of the angle in this pic my possie buggers look like crap..ignore that they actually look quite nice :lol:

Hey Brandon, whats that pattern with the rubber legs, goose biot tail and looks like copper wire body? That thing looks like it will catch em all day! Mind sharing? :D

I
I <3 <><
Awesome thanks man. I feel like such a noob, I read a lot of guys talking about the possie bugger and I didn't even know what it was. I had to look it up. :p

brandon4455
brandon4455
if there was one nymph i could have in my box it would be a possie bugger. ive caught more fish on a possie bugger then anything else wnymph wise, im sure that mega stone will catch just as many, its a buggy looking fly.

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
brandon4455 said:
if there was one nymph i could have in my box it would be a possie bugger. ive caught more fish on a possie bugger then anything else wnymph wise, im sure that mega stone will catch just as many, its a buggy looking fly.

Brandon, I thought you were hot & heavy on the Prince nymph - you ditched the fanciness of Prince for some Possie? XD

brandon4455
brandon4455
:lol: although i have caught many a trout (including the pig 19 1/2 incher) on a prince i seem to have more success with the possie bugger,dont know why but fish go nuts for them. i will not deny the bead head prince is one of the best all time flies, and also has a place in any fly fisherman nymph box. ive used a possie bugger in tandem with a prince before, put the possie as the top fly to give the prince better chances and still the possie bugger caught more fish. switched them around and still the possie out preformed the prince. i also tried this with an ice dub prince (second row of flies very left but ) but one without legs. the possie and ice dub prince caught 9 fish even.

M
mlw
brandon4455 said:
Me too.

Here is the classic steelhead fly, a green butted skunk. A few material substitutions, the butt is chartreuse antron chenille over a flat silver tinsel tag, the body black ostrich herl, six or seven strands twisted on a small silver metallic tinsel, with a silver twist rib. Hackle is black rooster, and the wing is...... wait for it...
..striped skunk! :) Very nice to tie with, compresses nicely, not like that nasty squirrel.
Oh, and I didn't have any good red hackle for the tail, had to substitute golden pheasant crest dyed red.
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
brandon4455
brandon4455
excellent tie michael!

brandon4455
brandon4455
not a good pic but heres my first attempt at a wet fly for steelhead..had to work with materials i have on hand so nothing special but im sure it will fish for summers on the swing with a floating line

i call the it "special deilvery"
hackle is partridge,underwing is a very small amount of dark purple/black bucktail and the wing is pearl flashabou.

Last edited by a moderator:
M
mlw
Waiting for summer runs on the McKenzie:
purple-featherwing-fly-900.jpg

This is a purple variation of Syd Glasso's Orange Heron, directions for tying them can be found in John Shewey's books "Steelhead Flies" and in "Spey Flies and Dee Flies".

F
FlyBum
mlw said:
Waiting for summer runs on the McKenzie:

This is a purple variation of Syd Glasso's Orange Heron, directions for tying them can be found in John Shewey's books "Steelhead Flies" and in "Spey Flies and Dee Flies".

Classy :) I'd like to see some of the fish you've caught!

brandon4455
brandon4455
michael caught a pig on the willamette last year, beautiful colored buck