Fly rods $

F
FishFinger
OnTheFly said:
....and this comes from a guy who poses for the camera holding his fish upside down. Bwahahaha....

Well played sir.... Although it was a monster URB

M
meluvtrout
OnTheFly said:
....and this comes from a guy who poses for the camera holding his fish upside down. Bwahahaha....
Man that stupid Coho still haunting me after 5 years! And you're not going to let that go are you OnThePole?
Not to steal the thread here is a $19.99 fly rod(pole) from Albright paired with a Pflueger President

M
meluvtrout
FishFinger said:

Oh shut up! It was all your fault! And that's right it was the June hog wasn't it?

Last edited:
M
meluvtrout
Here is a 7wt version of the same rod. Again $19.99
[video=youtube_share;8T-y6WNRXhE]http://youtu.be/8T-y6WNRXhE[/video]

T
todd_brooks
That's a fun video Ali ^.
O.P. If I were you I would look at used rods. You could put together a nice set up for a deal that will out perform a cheep one. Although you can clearly have a blast with a cheaper set up.
The first time I got to play with a high end rod (Sage) I was amazed at the difference. I don't know that much about it but its all about how the rod loads and transfers that energy to your line. Some materials are going to have better transfer than others and believe me you can tell a difference from a cheep graphite rod to a hi module graphite rod. Of course base what you buy on what you want to fish for. A rod that would be great for trout aka a 4 or 5 weight, won't be so good for steelhead and vise versa.
Its a good thing too that you don't care about the money factor because fly fishing is a whole other animal with a dark side that has the potential to drain your bank account.

C
catchallthefish
i might just buy a cheap one and build a nice one ... we got the lathe like machine to tie eyelets and all the stuff to make poles im just gonna need to research blanks iv made spinning rods just not fly rods

C
catchallthefish
big water fly rod

big water fly rod

anny good rods for distance

O
OnTheFly
FishFinger said:

It's all I got on him but it still works! lol!

meluvtrout said:
Man that stupid Coho still haunting me after 5 years! And you're not going to let that go are you OnThePole?
Never!

meluvtrout said:
Oh shut up! It was all your fault! And that's right it was the June hog wasn't it?
Best picture ever.

O
OnTheFly
meluvtrout said:
Here is a 7wt version of the same rod. Again $19.99
No one is saying you can't catch fish on a cheapo rod. But sometimes there is a quality feel and performance with fine equipment. A 1 dollar flat head screwdriver will drive in a screw just like a 6 dollar screw driver but as a guy who works in the trades, like myself, I will only work with Klein tools as opposed to Stanley. Klein are made better and perform better for the job and the warranty is an added benefit. One is made for the professional and the other for a home owner. Just an analogy.:)

M
meluvtrout
OnTheFly said:
No one is saying you can't catch fish on a cheapo rod. But sometimes there is a quality feel and performance with fine equipment. A 1 dollar flat head screwdriver will drive in a screw just like a 6 dollar screw driver but as a guy who works in the trades, like myself, I will only work with Klein tools as opposed to Stanley. Klein are made better and perform better for the job and the warranty is an added benefit. One is made for the professional and the other for a home owner. Just an analogy.:)

You didn't, but someone told him to buy a $900 rod, right? What I like about these Albright rods is the large snake guides and the quality of craftsmanship. Feels like a $200 rod, but hits the wallet with a small fraction of those. That's why I bought 6 in several weights when they were closing out this line.
Of course with cheaper rods you'll never know what you'll get.

C
catchallthefish
im use to cheap... i like things that get the job done ...i also like high performance i played with a supposed 1800$ fly rod split fiber bamboo with impregnated cork it was so lite and so long
i can see my self breaking it but it suppose to be supper strong dont get me wrong there good
i guess im simple my garage sale tools my Husky my Stanley my Craftsman and my Klein all so the same job and none have them have broke so ... i use them all equally
i like cheapo rods so if it breaks i dont cry and if i catch a huge fish im laughing reeling it in having a good ol time with my cheazy set up and i tell every one ...every things has pros and cons

C
catchallthefish
thanks chez those look like descent starter kits with everything for pretty cheap especially for the warranty too

C
catchallthefish
is the guy holding a fish a inside joke? cuz im not seeing a upside down fish

R
redhawk50
I started out cheap and did not enjoy fly fishing that much, although it probably was more of my fault then the rods fault I just couldn't do what needed to be done to put the fly in a location that would hold fish. I then committed time and a bit of money $300 for a nicer set up,6wt, and started to really enjoy fly fishing. That set up has been good for 15 years now. I have added other rods to my quiver for steelhead but had used that setup for everything else. Recently had a chance to get a top end rod and I absolutely love it and I feel like I can put a fly anywhere with it. Would I have been able to use the top end rod as well 15 years ago, no. If I did not get that nicer 300 setup and stayed cheap I don't think I would be fly fishing. So start with good so that if you like it you can use it of a long time, then if you have the means and the obsession upgrade when you know it will actually help and benefit you.

H
Herefishyfishy
I just got a TFO Deer Creek 13' 7/8 spey for $360 and really love it. I spent a lot of time researching and reading reviews and casting at the store. I think it's a great rod for the money. I also have an Echo switch and really like that as well.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I have been an advocate of learning on cheaper equipment, especially if on a budget. A $40 rod has plenty of feel and action to get the basics of casting and fishing down. If you decide you hate fly fishing, you can get in and out for $100 or less. If you've got more cash, or you really want to have top notch equipment, by all means spend a grand on your first setup. There definitely are appreciable differences between a $40 rod, and a $100 rod, and a $200 rod, and a $500 to $1000 rod.

Typically higher dollar rods are built better, they are lighter, have better swing weights (swing weight and rod/blank weight are NOT the same, but a light weight rod will have a lighter swing weight and be more comfortable to fish all day), better components - and better warranty.

Cheap rods will benefit from being a bit less fragile, and if you break one you're less likely to cry about it.

Don't cheap out on your fly line - get the best line you can for your cash. Skip Cortland Fairplay lines. THey're garbage. Cortland 333+ is the bare bones bottom line I'd recommend, personally. Also in the cheap but usable catagory are Sci Anglers Air Cell, and Cabela's Prestige Plus lines. All three of those will set you back $30ish. I prefer a bit better line for most of my fishing. I really like the Sci Anglers Mastery GPX taper line, Airflo Ridge lines, and I'm warming up on Rios products. I wasn't a fan of their early effors, but the stuff they're making now is good. I also like Sage's Freshwater lines.

I just pieced together a new rod combo as a christmas present, and spent about $200 on it. The rod is a TFO Professional II that set me back $80 (sale price, regular $150) it's am 8'6" 4/5 weight 4 piece rod, the reel was an Echo Ion 4/5 that is $80 regular price, and Don at River City Fly spooled it with backing for free. I picked up a Cortland 444+ WF floating line for $39.00 - so total price was $199. The TFO rod is light weight, well made, and has a good action. It'd make a great rod to learn on.

Don't think you have to spend hundreds of dollars on a beginner outfit, but know that spending at least a hundred or two will get you something that will be pleasant to learn on, and will be a good rod as you perfect your skills in fishing and casting. You won't outgrow the $200 setup nearly as quick as you will the $50 setup.

Reactions: hookbait
E
eugene1
GungasUncle, that was a sweet post!

I'm thinking about a first fly set up as well.

Thanks!

J
john montana
My opinion...an expensive rod "usually" is more fun to cast then a cheap rod; but it really is a fun to fish question, not really a functional question. My recommendation (take it with a grain of salt from an addict that owns way too many rods) is to start with a mid priced outfit. I fished for years and years with an $80 st croix imperial and had no issues, but I sure as hell stopped using that rod the minute I bought a nice sage. Just way more fun to fish a sage.

But...some of the mid priced stuff I've picked up over the years still gets fished. Specifically for me, the echo rods. I bust out my Dad's Echo Carbon once a year and I've cast the Echo Edge and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm personally not a big fan of TFO rods, but it really comes down to what you enjoy casting. You really need to get to a fly shop (river city is a good start) and cast some rods. One of them will speak to you. Just don't pick up and cast a $900 Helios 2 if you aren't willing to spend that much cash, because a lot of the more expensive rods really are more fun to cast.

I would put the bulk of your budget into the rod and line...I'd 100% skimp on the reel. Unless you are fishing in the salt water (or chasing carp) the reel essentially holds the line and virtually any of the reels on the market will have enough drag to deal with trout and steelhead.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I agree with Jonny M on the reel selection. I've used Pfluger Medalist for years. They cost about $25 and a spare spool is about $12. They are a good reels and last forever.

J
jimmy
john montana said:
I would put the bulk of your budget into the rod and line...I'd 100% skimp on the reel.

+1 , 100% . Drop on a nice stick, you won't regret it if your serious.

Reactions: OnTheFly