Fly rods $

C
catchallthefish
so im trying to get in to fly fishing and some guys tell be buy a 40$ rod and reel and go buy some line other guys tell me buy a 900$ pole witch is better for a beginner?

E
eugene1
Probably depends on your budget?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
That's quite a spread in price for a technique you may or may not enjoy, not to mention may or may not eventually develop a skill level to justify the upper end equipment. I would go down the middle or lower until you can make an informed decision. Of course, it is your decision...:hi:

troutdude
troutdude
Cheap is cheap. Don't waste your money; especially on bargain "combo" rods. Save up if you need to; but spend as much as you are able. Particularly on the rod--get the best that you can afford. There ARE big differences. Visit a couple of fly shops, and ask questions. Also ask if you can practice cast, the ones that you think you like. Don't be in a hurry, and you'll find one you'll like. Narrowing down the type of fishing--and / or the specie--will also be a big help. Good luck.

O
OnTheFly
Get a 9ft. 5wt rod. And never never call it a "fly pole". Match the reel and line to the weight of the rod. Buy a spare spool for the reel and get a floating line and intermediate sink. You are then then set for lakes and streams with a basic set up. As you develop your skills, you will know what to upgrade to later in your pursuit of quality fishing.

troutdude
troutdude
M
meluvtrout
Borrow a friend's old fly setup and give it a try first. Or go to Bi-mart and get a cheap Pflueger 9' fly combo. They are usually around $30-$50 rod-reel-line-handful of flies included. Worst case scenario you won't like fly fishing and you can sell it here to other OFF'ers and get some of your money back. Best case scenario you will like fly fishing and you can sell it here to other OFF'ers and get some of your money back to buy something nicer.
And for my fellow OFFicers:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
/ \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \
( O ) ( N ) ( T ) ( H ) ( E ) ( F ) ( L ) ( Y ) ( L ) ( O ) ( V ) ( E ) ( S ) ( F ) ( L ) ( Y ) ( P ) ( O ) ( L ) ( E ) ( S )
\_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
/ \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \
( T ) ( R ) ( O ) ( U ) ( T ) ( D ) ( U ) ( D ) ( E ) ( T ) ( O ) ( O )
\_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/

S
steelhead_slayer
I'm so rough on rods I won't but one without a lifetime warranty anymore.

C
catchallthefish
thanks for the input guys i get more out of you guys then the people at the stores.. Ive tried it before with a set up i made and with my buddy's legitimate set up and Ive cuaght a few fish so i got the basics down and i like it but my biggest questions i have and i never get a straight awsner. ive wanted one for a while as i tie flys for my spinning rod but ...ive been told all kinds of stuff for a while and ive heard things that make me go huh??? like this one guy showed me his rod and says he can cast 200 feet with almost 0 clearance "realy low branches,thick trees, huge brush,ect" because its a certain brand and the price he payed and im not trying to claim anny ones arrogant or fibbing im "confuzzled "

1 so why is a cheap set up inferior? the blank material,casting distance,thread wrapping, durability,weight and or action

2 why is the expensive ones so much better? different material ,thread wrapping,casting distance improved, super strong, ultralight weight or have a superb action? or all of them put together?

Ive gone to fly shops gone to tackle store asked fellow fisher man ... and i don't seem to get 1 of my questions answered they all seem to be robots trying to sell me stuff i don't want of even changing the subject and i dont even think they hear me.. they just heard fly rod and off they go rambling about their stuff sales pitching to me not trying to help me..... i leave empty handed every time and FYI i have a wide price range.$5 -$700 im looking for something durable

i like that i can really talk to u guys about this because its been on my list for a long time im just Leary due to lack of info

thank you guys for helping me

S
steelhead_slayer
I had a cheaper rod fall apart on me after a year from just casting it. I have also tried casting a friends cheaper rod and the action was very weird making it difficult to get a good cast. TFO and Echo have some cheaper rods that are decent. I would say if the the company is willing to offer a lifetime warranty their product is good. I would be comfortable with the cheapest rod that offers a lifetime warranty.
If you find a rod you like ask people on the forum what they think of it and you can get some good info.

C
catchallthefish
i agree i to am extremely rough on my gear crashing trough brush traversing obstacles thus why i seek durability. i bought a brand new rod and i broke it before i even fished with it just testing the action by giving it side to side motion while holding the handle parallel with the ground with no line on it.... it just snapped so i went huh?? did it little more and snapped it even more the the quality and durability of the rod is verry important to me as i travel with them on foot they get snagged on a trees bushes and if you keep walking and pow! dun dun dun =[ so a lifetime warranty is awesome

S
steelhead_slayer
I bought an echo rod for their durability and warranty. They are a little heavier though

C
catchallthefish
ive heard more echo than anny thing so ill give them a good hard thought whats a good not to supper spendy but not junk reel?

T
TimberTodd
If you enjoy fly fishing and have every intent of using the setup, I would spend what I am comfortable parting with. Pay a visit to a shop that will let you cast the rods that interest you. To some a $100 rod feels and handles better than a $200 rod. Everyone has their opinion on what is better Sage, Winston, Lamiglas etc. You can put a $10 garage sale special in the hands of some who has skill and they can make it out perform someone with a $500 rod who is still learning (yours truly:)). Good luck and let us know what your decide on.

C
catchallthefish
i will i might even get 2 or 3 just so i can have different opinions and im not realy concerned about $

S
steelhead_slayer
TimberTodd said:
If you enjoy fly fishing and have every intent of using the setup, I would spend what I am comfortable parting with. Pay a visit to a shop that will let you cast the rods that interest you. To some a $100 rod feels and handles better than a $200 rod. Everyone has their opinion on what is better Sage, Winston, Lamiglas etc. You can put a $10 garage sale special in the hands of some who has skill and they can make it out perform someone with a $500 rod who is still learning (yours truly:)). Good luck and let us know what your decide on.

I do really like my sage

M
markasd
I own Redingtons, Sage, g loomis, Orvis, WW Grigg, Lamiglass... Some is tougher than others, seems my Sage is somewhat fragile! (Broke the reel seat first day just mounting to the rod!) Love the action of several of them and for different reasons and different conditions. Redington has been a favorite now for a while for me. Tough for bush whacking, and AWESOME customer service.

S
steelhead_slayer
Redington crosswater is the rod that broke from just casting it. I liked it tell then.
I have broke my Sage more then any other rod, but it has always been my fault

C
catchallthefish
thanks guys all good input

O
OnTheFly
meluvtrout said:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
/ \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \
( O ) ( N ) ( T ) ( H ) ( E ) ( F ) ( L ) ( Y ) ( L ) ( O ) ( V ) ( E ) ( S ) ( F ) ( L ) ( Y ) ( P ) ( O ) ( L ) ( E ) ( S )
\_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/
....and this comes from a guy who poses for the camera holding his fish upside down. Bwahahaha....