flossing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T
trouthunter92
So reading through the regulations it says only fish HOOKED INSIDE the mouth may be kept so wouldn't keeping a fish that was caught while flossing already be illegal since they are hooked outside the mouth?

J
jd15
yes, but i know a lot of poeple that have learned how to hook them inside the mouth every time

Troutski
Troutski
Before this thread even gets started, please keep it calm. These threads have a history of becoming inflamed very quickly, if your opinions are inflammatory keep them to yourself. Over the past three years 7 thread including this one have been started and 6 have been closed or deleted closed... No matter how you try to explain it this method of angling is illegal and is in violation of existing OFF rules which each member has agreed to. Just to remind everyone the OSP is a member on this site and do regularly monitor these threads. Okay, feel free to chat among yourselves..

Chuck

Reactions: wozniasm
troutdude
troutdude
Troutski said:
Before this thread even gets started, please keep it calm. These threads have a history of becoming inflamed very quickly, if your opinions are inflammatory keep them to yourself. Over the past three years 7 thread including this one have been started and 6 have been closed or deleted closed... No matter how you try to explain it this method of angling is illegal and is in violation of existing OFF rules which each member has agreed to. Just to remind everyone the OSP is a member on this site and do regularly monitor these threads. Okay, feel free to chat among yourselves..
Chuck

WOOT WOOT! Well said. Thanks for being a great MOD Chuck!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

T
Throbbit _Shane
Flossing is not illegal, but it is unethical.

C
chrisohm
I floss daily just to get that bit of trout out of my back teeth. :dance:

troutdude
troutdude
Good one Chris! LOL

As I understand it; the law will soon be changed (if it isn't already in effect). Then flossing will be illegal.

C
chrisohm
"In effect" and "enforcement" are the real issues. Without enforcement it has no effect. To have effect, you need the funds to hire those who can enforce it. Funny how there can be volunteer fireman but yet I have never heard of a volunteer game warden? Sure you can have OSP's but if the fishing community could police itself a little better.....the world could be a better place.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Honestly I have no problems with the flossers if its a hole below a hatchery. Like on the upper rogue. Might as well take the springers home for dinner then have them swim into the hatchery then have them trucked back down the river, where they could possibly spawn with the wild fish...

brandon4455
brandon4455
a flossed fish can infact be hooked inside the mouth,seen it plenty of times. however a large % of fish caught wile using corkies,yarn,beads are either snagged,hooked in the face or in the corner of the mouth on the outside. it is a very unethical form of "fishing" if you would like to call it that. I call it snagging utilizing legal gear.

Brandon

T
trouthunter92
It was just something I was pondering.

U
Username
Can someone explain to me how exactly flossing is done. I have heard people talk about it hear and there but have no clue how i is done.

C
colt
From what I gather from previous discussions, it's the attempt to catch a fish "against their own will" if you will. I get flossing as catching a fish by running a line across their mouths and then hooking them when they don't bite the lure/bait. I guess it's similar to snagging a fish, only it seems that it's a way to make it "look legitimate". If this doesn't quite explain it, there are articles out there that will better explain it than me. I cannot remember where those are at the moment.

If I wasn't supposed to say this, sorry. I have seen articles out there that were posted and that's what I have gathered from those articles on flossing and snagging.

It sure is a bummer if you are actually fishing and trying to get them to bite and you hook one on the outside (this has happened to me quite often when fishing for trout and waiting for them to come along, then I set hook and it's nowhere near their mouth) and it turns out to be a keeper but you can't because it wasn't hooked properly.

Rules are rules, and I'd rather follow them and have fun for many years to come rather than risk it all over a fish.

S
steelie_killa
I love drift fishing, i use about a 2 ft long leader with corkie and yarn. The majority of my fish hooked has always been on the beak or rite on the tongue, so...question is am i flossing? wat do i need to change so that im not unintentionally flossing?

H
halibuthitman
salmon are a terminal fishery... I simply cannot wrap my mind around the issue with flossing... bait is legal.. treble hooks.. legal... d- bags in Northriver boats... legal.. the cathedral park boat ramp at 7 am... legal, Frank Amatto and Jim Teeny aren't in prision and seperatism on state waters induced by the state ( fly only waters ) Hydro-electric dams, wheat farmers and loggers.. the d-bags who own homes on the shores of the sandy... and fish hatcheries..... all legal, but a guy just wants to catch his legal limit of salmonoids and go home...in under 30 hours, a jerk, god, let this food gatherer get his meat and leave.. why make us listen to his crap all day, heck let em snag.. just leave. If you look at what other anglers, sea lions, dams and loggers are doing you will go insane.... get your own.. run your own game... and be independent. most of all.... don't be a hater, let them get their fish and leave.. then we can start working on the guy in the pavati drifter that just corked your slot..

Reactions: kirkster
D
DYJ
brandon4455 said:
however a large % of fish caught wile using corkies,yarn,beads are either snagged,hooked in the face or in the corner of the mouth on the outside.

not true, fish do bite corkies and yarn

J
joem
DYJ said:
not true, fish do bite corkies and yarn

not to be rude, but spoken like a true flosser. yes fish bite corkies and yarn. yes i have seen fish bite just a hook. but the point here is that people are snagging fish and claiming that they are biting. i hate flossers, snaggers, people that dont know how to fish but try, people that think they know how to fish but dont, people that think they are top dog cause they caught one there yesterday, people that think that boats are bad, people that think they own the place, people that think they know me, people that watch me and then tell every one what i do, people that push other people out of the prime spot, people that would rather try and talk to me when im fishing than fish, people that ask me what im doing thinking i am going to tell them, people that breath my air. haha flossing is snagging anyone who thinks it takes skill to floss a fish and call it fishing are simply trying to make up excuses so they are not in the wrong.

D
DYJ
I would catch more fish if I was a true flosser :D

Yarn balls are very effective, in some cases better than eggs. A small corkie or float can be effective to bring your offering off the bottom. I simply disagree with calling those two items "snaggin legal gear "

Last edited:
S
steelhead_stalkers
I would have to say that it takes more work and effort to successfully floss fish than to actually get them to bite! If only the the flossers knew. :lol:

brandon4455
brandon4455
at one point i even did a technique called "dredging" with my fly rod last year,basically drift fishing...did it a few times and realized how easily i could floss a fish even if i wasn't trying.. dropped that method in a heartbeat. witch is why i dont get people that drift fish and say all the fish they catch bite. if you are dredging the river bottom through an area where fish are holding and opening and closing their mouths a lot of the fish you catch are going to catch will be flossed or snagged.

simple solution:

throw on a bobber and jig and set it just a little above the fish. they look up and will raise their heads a little to bite something. and coho salmon will practically chase lures to your feet. steelhead stalkers is right,its easier to get a fish to bite then floss them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.