Fished the Siuslaw today

W
whammond
Went out on the Siuslaw at Whitaker today for the second time this winter and my second time ever steelhead fishing. Went last friday and the fishing seemed a lot better than it did today. Everyone around was slammin them including myself. We bank fished the whole time last friday and tried a few different spots with the most luck right at the boat ramp underneath 126.

We went again today on my buddy's boat and couldnt catch a cold. There were a lot of people out there but I didn't see nor hear of anything too exciting going on. It was a complete 180 from last week. IDK if it was because of the weather or that the water was higher I have no idea.

I have been reading a lot of different threads and watched all the Steelhead Stalkers videos to try and get a handle on how to fish the rivers around here. I really like the Siuslaw and fishing on it because its not too far from my house and seems like you can get in on a good hole if you get there early enough.

I'm new to steelhead and river fishing in general. I want to continue fishing the Siuslaw and I'm just curious to any info I can get. What bait works best there? What weather is best for the best fishing? Any certain tips on bottom bouncing rigs? Any tips would be awesome! thanks!

E
eugene1
whammond said:
Went out on the Siuslaw at Whitaker today for the second time this winter and my second time ever steelhead fishing. Went last friday and the fishing seemed a lot better than it did today. Everyone around was slammin them including myself. We bank fished the whole time last friday and tried a few different spots with the most luck right at the boat ramp underneath 126.

We went again today on my buddy's boat and couldnt catch a cold. There were a lot of people out there but I didn't see nor hear of anything too exciting going on. It was a complete 180 from last week. IDK if it was because of the weather or that the water was higher I have no idea.

I have been reading a lot of different threads and watched all the Steelhead Stalkers videos to try and get a handle on how to fish the rivers around here. I really like the Siuslaw and fishing on it because its not too far from my house and seems like you can get in on a good hole if you get there early enough.

I'm new to steelhead and river fishing in general. I want to continue fishing the Siuslaw and I'm just curious to any info I can get. What bait works best there? What weather is best for the best fishing? Any certain tips on bottom bouncing rigs? Any tips would be awesome! thanks!

I haven't been to the slaw this season, but we've gotten into them by pulling plugs in a drifter, by throwing pink worms under a float, using fly gear, or casting spinners. If there are fish around they'll take a variety of offerings. Keep putting your time in and you'll get one eventually. I don't know why some days are hot and others are dead for salmonid fishing, but it is what it is.

Best of luck,

E
eugene1
And welcome to the forum wham! Enjoy it, learn stuff, and pay it forward when you're able to,

B
bran_man
A lot of people use yarn balls there too... Anywhere from dime to quarter size. I'll leave yarn color and possible scent selections up to you. As far as bait goes, can never go wrong with roe or shrimp or both together. Some people like to drift corky and night crawlers too. Never had too much success with that one personally. I've done pretty well on my home cured eggs as well as drifting my own "special" shrimp this season. Those things are what I've been catching them on. Pink worms works well too. Hate to be "that type of guy" but I felt really accomplished when I put in my time and and gained experience just by getting out there and trying a wide variety of tactics. This is also only me second winter season. Last year ( my first winter attempt) I went out at least 40 times to a few different rivers and only caught one. But I learned a ton from all the bank anglers and watched how/what they did (with permission). You're catch rate will go up with time/experience. Also if your in a boat, side drifting is usually the ticket, but I've heard pulling plugs works pretty well. I'm usually a bank maggot so I don't know too much about that one. Just get out there and you'll start learning the little tricks to step up your game. I'm no veteran myself, but this is just what has helped me.... Sorry I am being kinda vague...

hobster
hobster
Hello guys, another newbie here. I'm also new to steelhead fishing and i'm not really one to give advice but all i can say is keep at it!! I just started fishing for Steel last month for the first time in my life after being an avid fly fisherman for years. I've spent a lot of time on the McKenzie fishing for trout but just recently decided to try to get the big ones. I spent at least 40 hours on the Slaw bouncin corkies and yarn trying to feel the bite and figure out what the heck i was doing. Last week i hooked my first 2 and then proceeded to loose them quickly which sucked of course. Next time out i hooked 2 more and brought them to the bank only to loose them both at the net. I lost one trying to net it myself and the second was lost by a stranger i asked to help me net it (never again!!). I was sooo down after loosing those 2 at my feet. Next time out i didn't have a bite all day until.. wham.. fish on! I tired that buck out till he was totally exhausted then scooped him up and landed my first Steel!! Best day ever for sure, it felt so good to get ink on my tag after fishing with my buddies for days and watching everyone except me catch fish. So i got a little more confidence and went back out 2 days ago with my buddy who has landed a bunch already and i had the most epic day ever!! I hooked 6 landed 2 and was out by noon. My buddy only hooked 1 for a few seconds which goes to show anyone can have the hot hand. One i lost was a huge hog that went down river on me and took so much line i had no control and lost him at the rapids after a good 15 minute fight. So i feel great about where i am at, i'll probably get skunked next time but NEVER give up!! It paid off for me, keep workin at it. I am totally addicted now, see you all on the Slaw tomorrow!!