First tuna trip

M
mikeredding
Made our first tuna trip on Saturday, managed to pick up 6 fish about 50 miles NW of Newport. Awesome day, just wish we would have found the fish sooner. Ran out of time.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I was out there too. We went 71 miles and picked up 21. We started at 48 miles but only picked up a few so we kept going. I'm smoking some now and canning the rest tomorrow.

M
mikeredding
Yeah, we started at 40 and worked out to 60. Ended up finding some fish around the pig but it was about 1:00 by then and didn't have much time to work them with a 3.5 hour run back in.

E
eugene1
Nice work! Any big ones? Sounds like there are some nice ones this year anyway.

Have you been back to winchester bay for the nooks yet, Mike? Looks like a good season down there so far. I'm missing it...

Best,

M
mikeredding
A couple of them were in the 25# range. Haven't been to Winchester yet but may go this weekend.

T
troutmasta
jamisonace said:
I was out there too. We went 71 miles and picked up 21. We started at 48 miles but only picked up a few so we kept going. I'm smoking some now and canning the rest tomorrow.
Dang thats out there.

jamisonace
jamisonace
We got back at 8:30. Made for a long day but we had a blast.

We were on a 42' tollycraft so the ride was pretty comfortable.

mikeredding said:
Yeah, we started at 40 and worked out to 60. Ended up finding some fish around the pig but it was about 1:00 by then and didn't have much time to work them with a 3.5 hour run back in.

M
mikeredding
jamisonace said:
We were on a 42' tollycraft so the ride was pretty comfortable.
Yeah, that sounds a lot smoother than my 20" aluminum cork.
Wasn't too bad going out but we were running in the ditch with 5' swells all the way in.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I might have seen you going out. What time did you cross the bar? The swells had picked up quite a bit on the way back in.

mikeredding said:
Yeah, that sounds a lot smoother than my 20" aluminum cork.
Wasn't too bad going out but we were running in the ditch with 5' swells all the way in.

M
mikeredding
We crossed about 6:00am