Decent day at Detroit Dam!

S
Symphonyx87
Not any big trout, but plenty of small ones! We fished for about three hours, had sixteen between the three of us.

6eguqebe.jpg

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Nice catch, Detroit can be a fun place to spend a day. :thumb: Did the wind come howling down the canyon? I know it can knock a grown man over at times. :D

troutdude
troutdude
Well done. Thanks for posting. Been thinking about that lake lately. It must be calling me!

BTW, hope that you released at least one of those 16 fish. A daily bag limit, is only 5 per person.

S
Symphonyx87
Yeah, released em all, but went again this morning with my dad, and we each caught our limit in less than two hours!hyzu2ube.jpg

Reactions: FishFinger
troutdude
troutdude
Right on.

A
a_fishing_duck
What were you using out there?

S
Symphonyx87
Worms!

F
FishFinger
Well done!

A
autofisher
I love Detroit Lake, it's one of those places that can just bring a smile to a person's face. Even when it's slow fishing, the scenery's great and the air always feels better up there. Nice pics bud. I haven't been up there in a bit, is the water still low?

C
capblack
Symphonyx87 said:
Yeah, released em all, but went again this morning with my dad, and we each caught our limit in less than two hours!hyzu2ube.jpg

how does one go about releasing fish from the top of the dam?

S
Symphonyx87
capblack said:
how does one go about releasing fish from the top of the dam?

Well, we kinda just let em slide off into the water, most of em snap out of it after a minute or two and swim off.

autofisher said:
is the water still low?

Yeah it's still low, but Mongold(sp?) still open, if you're putting a boat in.

C
capblack
Symphonyx87 said:
Well, we kinda just let em slide off into the water, most of em snap out of it after a minute or two and swim off.

that doesn't sound like a very good catch and release method. if i was going to catch and release, i would pick somewhere other than the dam to fish. but thats just my 2 pennies

troutdude
troutdude
capblack said:
that doesn't sound like a very good catch and release method. if i was going to catch and release, i would pick somewhere other than the dam to fish. but thats just my 2 pennies

That's what I was thinking too. It's a LONG drop, for a fish who's already 3/4 dead when caught. I'd bet that, lot's of them die after being dropped back into the drink.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Most folks who release them only bring them to the surface or maybe a foot above to let them wriggle off the hook. I have fished the dam multiple times and have yet to see anyone take one to the top only to release it. Every fish I have released in this manner had plenty of fight and was definitely NOT even close to "3/4 dead" at the time of release. Try not to judge without waiting for an answer to your question, gentlemen. :hi:

C
capblack
Raincatcher said:
Most folks who release them only bring them to the surface or maybe a foot above to let them wriggle off the hook. I have fished the dam multiple times and have yet to see anyone take one to the top only to release it. Every fish I have released in this manner had plenty of fight and was definitely NOT even close to "3/4 dead" at the time of release. Try not to judge without waiting for an answer to your question, gentlemen. :hi:

I did wait for an answer and from the sounds of it "most snap out of it and swim off after minute or two" they were being air mailed from above. Sorry I don't sugar coat things I thought we were allowed to speak our mind.

B
Big3d
Maybe try big cliff area for c&r instead of the dam. Other than that 2 awesome days, congrats!

troutdude
troutdude
capblack said:
i did wait for an answer and from the sounds of it "most snap out of it and swim off after minute or two" they were being air mailed from above. Sorry i don't sugar coat things i thought we were allowed to speak our mind.

x 2.

I can't figure out, how any of our comments were judgmental. If anything; they were peppered with ideas for improvement of any potential kill ratio.

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
capblack said:
I did wait for an answer and from the sounds of it "most snap out of it and swim off after minute or two" they were being air mailed from above. Sorry I don't sugar coat things I thought we were allowed to speak our mind.

troutdude said:
x 2.

I can't figure out, how any of our comments were judgmental. If anything; they were peppered with ideas for improvement of any potential kill ratio.
Okay, if neither of you were being judgmental, I sincerely apologize. Let me explain, if you will. Neither of you asked what the distance from the water the fish were being released. You both appeared to assume it was from the top of the dam. I have been judged to be harming the fish at Detroit Dam after sharing with others that most of my catch was released due to assumptions rather than a few simple questions. You are both allowed your opinions as well as the opportunity to express those opinions. As am I. I am not judging you, just making the suggestion to get all the facts before jumping to any conclusions. Thanks for your participation and passion for protecting the fish we are also looking out for. :hi:

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks RC. No problem. I appreciated hearing about your view. Sorry you were wrongly accused. We know that, you like to protect the fish too.

Happy trails.

TD

M
michael_g
20140322_193244.jpgThanks for the report. Headed for Detroit soon after. Spent Sat & Sun just east of dam. Caught small ones all day. Many snags ( ancient stump goasts). Water down gives a view of what's usually under water.gets deep fast. If you cast too far out, it only complicated foul ups. Beautiful day, but wind did come up. Moved to a slightly diff position, to work wind better. Did not cast out too far, and landed a 12 inch (pounder)! Hit the yellow garlic eggs hard, then left water. Nice fish, and dinner. Lil ones all swallowed, and had to have the line cut at mouth. I never handle or remove from water, if they are not comin home. You all have a good en!

Last edited: