Crabbing on the Siuslaw

B
bigd610
Anyone know of a great spot to drop off some crab pots while we head upstream to fish. Also has anyone had any luck bait casting for Salmon. I know it is best to troll however I have no experience doing that. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dan

M
mikeredding
I wouldn't do it. There has been somebody cleaning out everone's pots when the leave the area.
I know, it happened to us last month.

R
rippin fish lips
mikeredding said:
I wouldn't do it. There has been somebody cleaning out everone's pots when the leave the area.
I know, it happened to us last month.

Yup not worth it there anymore this year because of that.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
bigd610 said:
Anyone know of a great spot to drop off some crab pots while we head upstream to fish. Also has anyone had any luck bait casting for Salmon. I know it is best to troll however I have no experience doing that. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dan

earlier this year we did hear of crab pots being messed with but at least in recent discussions around the boat launch, we have not heard of any issues for a month or so. I suspect someone might have been targeting people headed over the bar back in August, they might have been watching for a big boat to drop pots and haul ass down into the ocean, figuring they had several hours to raid those pots....

as far as good spots, just below the bridge there are popular areas that have crab from July through October- there are several wood pier wing damns with red channel markers, all along between them is normally hot, across the river from them can be hit or miss...we often drop pots by the wing damns and fish from CG station up to past old town but we do not usually go much farther upstream past where the N. Fork comes in....we try to check our pots every hour or so...not sure about going way upsteam and leaving them for hours and hours...

last Thursday we dropped 3 pots by those wing damns and got 7 keepers when we pulled them up after 45min of fishing....so crab are still there so far this year...

as for bait casting, we not tried it but did see several of the guide sleds stopping near shore and trying bobber/eggs, so it must work or they would not bother with it...

Cheers,roger

B
bigd610
Thnak you for the help guys
Dan