Clear Lake Mt. Hood: WOO carp!

O
OnTheFly
I had the pleasure to fish with GDBrown and Wozniazm today at Clear Lake next to Mt Hood. It was a near perfect day but was briefly delayed by a seized bearing on GDBrown's boat trailer as we entered the town of Boring. Luckily, the guy at the automotive shop across the street understood the needs of fellow fishermen and started work on the wheels ahead of everyone else. It was over a two hour wait as the parts came delivered from two different shops but it gave us time to shoot the breeze that would otherwise been missed out on the water.

The lake was full and up into the trees but it didn't effect the fish. GDBrown started the show with the first fish on only moments after leaving the shore. My turn after that, followed by Wozniazm. I love the fish here. They are tough and do not hesitate to take to the air. Each of us caught at least a dozen fish despite our late arrival. No real hatches to speak of but Olive Crystal Bugger fooled the most fish and we picked up a few more on various other patterns as well. Thanks for the good time guys!

Watch the video at the bottom!!

Clear Lake Mt. Hood
ClearLake002.jpg

The water was higher than I have ever seen it here. Small trees were submerged but it created tremendous structure for fish.
ClearLake009.jpg

ClearLake001.jpg

ClearLake003.jpg

ClearLake004.jpg

ClearLake005.jpg

ClearLake008.jpg

ClearLake006.jpg

Move over John Montana and give it up for.....GDBROWN
ClearLake007.jpg

ClearLake010.jpg

http://youtu.be/kUMjG6q5TMM

Last edited:
E
eggs
Freaking sweet man! You guys look like you were killing it and having a great time!

F
FlyBum
Well done!! :clap:

troutdude
troutdude
Four OFFers on the same lake? Looks like an unOFFicial OFF gathering to me! <you know that I've just gots to put OFF in here somewhere...LOL>

Anywho...looks like you doods all picked a great day to fool some trouts. Most excellent!

BTW, you ought to mention the mechanic that helped you out (name of shop)...and give 'em some PR reps. That way, we'll all know who the go-to fellow is up there.

L
lilsalmon
Looks like fun....good job boys.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Looks like a fun time. I went past the turn off to Clear Lake yesterday on the way over to Culver. I just might have to make a run up there when I get back. It's a lt closer than Rock Creek Reservior.

A
alm21
Great finish for such a rough start!

brandon4455
brandon4455
awesome!!!

W
wozniasm
Made it out before the rain hit – it was torrential coming down from the Hood!
After Jim and Gene left, had three small hits and landed one other rainbow 20 feet from shore as I was reeling in my line in to go home.
A special thanks to Onthefly who turned me on to intermediate sinking line for the trip – could not believe how easy it was to cast in the wind! Made me look like I knew what I was doing. I’m converted and getting some!

B
bigsteel
nice work fellas,looks like everyone had a great time,and gdbrown with the bank robber look is sweet

G
GDBrown
Late start was my fault!

Late start was my fault!

DSCF1087.jpg

What a beautiful day to be fishing!

DSCF1086.jpg

The water was high but the fish didn't care and neither did we. It seemed that every time I turned around to see where Steve and Jim were I saw Steves rod bent over with a fish on. He was easier to spot in his red toon than Jim was in his green toon against the green trees on the shoreline. As has been mentioned the water was higher than any of the people we talked to had ever seen it.

The fish were biting right OFF the shore as soon as we executed our delayed start.:rolleyes: I had a fish on within minutes of getting underway and I settled in to row. I saw a fish boil right next to my line so I stood up and stripped the line a few times and Bam!:shock: Fish ON!:D It was a beautiful little brookie and he hit that Muddler minow so hard I didn't need to help with a hook-set. My largest of the day was about sixteen inches and Jim managed to video it but alass I let it slip away before he got a close-up of it in my hand. I'm going to give the new 4wt an A+ rating as far as a fun rod to tangle the trout with, but it prooved to be a little light for the wind later in the day.

Thanks, guys, for a great day of fishing, and thanks, Jim for towing the "Lazy Drifter" up over the hill to the lake. it was good to chat as we drove and toured the town of Boring......

GD

W
wozniasm
GD;
The late start may have triggered the bite so don't fret!
Glad we had the time to just chew the fat!

C
cowboysfan
That is awesome you all had a chance to get together. So who is buying beverages?

H
HaggAssassin
One word....Jealous. Those kind of days are what we live for.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I can only imagine the grins...:D Way to go guys!! :clap: :clap:

T
TTFishon
Looks like a sweet outing to me! Nice job guys and an excellent post too!

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for sharing your trip. Looks like a great time.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Ooooooo you guys had me good. Here I was all hopped up on carp-excitement and you guys go and show me pictures of trout! At least there's some brookies in there to spice it up ;)

I thought Jim might've had one drink too many of the Absinthe, bumped his head, and began fishing for Golden Bones. Bait & switcher!

Nice trip guys. Makes me jealous! And I dig the buff, Gene. Glad you made it back to Oregon OK.

O
OnTheFly
GungasUncle said:
I thought Jim might've had one drink too many of the Absinthe, bumped his head, and began fishing for Golden Bones. Bait & switcher!
Not a chance Mark. Ive got a reputation to uphold.;)

J
john montana
Great pics...and that is a sweet buff!