Brown day

S
steelhead_slayer
I had a class today next to a nice fishing hole so I decide to leave a little early. Took a little while to get into the first fish. That's probably why I missed the first bump. Threw my line in the same spot and fish on. I was expecting a rainbow, since that is the majority of fish I catch there, but was stunned to see it was a big brown around 22 inches. Landed him and got a quick pic. Next fish another brown. After that I was thinking okay my next fish has to be a bow. Right then fish on. Another brown this one around 18 inches. Pretty happy with my results I headed off to class. Got out of my class early so I made my way back down to the river. Didn't take long to get into my fish fish. Unbelievably another big brown. Unfortunately I lost that fish due to a weak hook set. Couple minutes later I find another brown about 16 inches on my line. That was the end of my day. I was amazed to catch only browns today. I talked to two other guys on the river, and they said they had a higher percent of browns too. So Glad I decided to make a trip out there today

• 0423121322-00.jpg
  • 20120423160659.jpg
  • 20120423160708.jpg
  • 20120423160730.jpg
  • 20120423160742.jpg
O
OnTheDrop
Nice report Wes. Sounds like a sweet day. I too fished in between classes today on the Middle D.. No browns! But quite a few scrappy bows. I was looking for browns too.. You dog. Keep it up.

F
FlyBum
Nice, I really like the Brown Trout!!

A
alm21
Yeah buddy, that's some multitasking! Were you swinging the monster flies?

S
steelhead_slayer
Flybum have you ever seen days like that out there where it's all or majority browns?

S
steelhead_slayer
alm21 said:
Yeah buddy, that's some multitasking! Were you swinging the monster flies?

Nope I was nymphing most the time

F
FlyBum
steelhead_slayer said:
Flybum have you ever seen days like that out there where it's all or majority browns?

Yes!! There have been days out there where I've caught only browns. I like days like those :)

S
steelhead_slayer
Me too. Might have ruined me though. Now I'm always going to be hoping for those days

F
FlyBum
About four years ago, there were about 4 days in a row that I caught only browns when out there. Usually when they do a stock flow were the best chances and now that they just lowered the river. Prespawn and post spawn are always the most productive time for browns. There is another stretch that I know of that seemingly has a higher number of brown fish, as that is the majority of what I've caught in there.

S
steelhead_slayer
And we are going there when? ;)

F
FlyBum
steelhead_slayer said:
And we are going there when? ;)

Maybe Thursday after work??

S
steelhead_slayer
I have a late class on Thursday, but I would love to another day. I appreciate your willingness to take me out there. :clap:

F
FlyBum
Ya now worries! How's your new born baby doin?? Congratulations!! (publicly)

E
eggs
Congrats bro welcome to the club!

S
steelhead_slayer
He is doing great. He's the easy kid so far. Still doesn't mean I'm getting any sleep though

S
steelhead_slayer
eggs said:
Congrats bro welcome to the club!

Thanks eggs! Actually my second time in the club though :D

S
steelhead_slayer
On a side note I saw a lot of empty worm containers and bait rigs lying around. That part in the Regs. that states "Flies and lures Only" must confuse a lot of guys.

F
FlyBum
steelhead_slayer said:
On a side note I saw a lot of empty worm containers and bait rigs lying around. That part in the Regs. that states "Flies and lures Only" must confuse a lot of guys.

Ya, isn't that funny?? Must be people who can't read, or don't bother to.

O
OnTheDrop
steelhead_slayer said:

Tell me about it. At almost every other spot i came upon there were hooks/ worm containers laying around. . . I mean, come on.