Black rock fish catch of the day

Irishrover
Irishrover
Made a trip out on the salt yesterday. We had great luck with the black rock fish. I was using a jig I made out of an old butter knife. It worked well and dinner to night was fantastic. Won't be long until the ocean opens for salmon!

• DSC01060.jpg
  • DSC01062.jpg
Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
A home made lure...how cool is that? That's how "spoons" began. So...why not?

P.S. I hope that you had a "trip" to...and not a "tip" into the salt.

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
I remember reading the story on spoons. It was interesting. The butter knife handle jigs are cheap easy to make and effective. Not sure what to do with the fork!

troutdude
troutdude
Use it to consume your catch bruddah! LOL

Irishrover
Irishrover
Now that was good! I should have know that.....even Rancid Crabtree could have figured that out!:lol::lol::lol:

(thanks I fixed the tip back to trip...no tipping out there)

troutdude
troutdude
Rancid is da man! LOL

E
eugene1
Are lings on the agenda in your area, IR?

Good looking eats at any rate,

Irishrover
Irishrover
eugene1 said:
Are lings on the agenda in your area, IR?

Good looking eats at any rate,
Bottom fishing off the mouth of the Columbia is not all that great. We ran 20 miles south to fish off Tillamook Head. That is the best closest sure to catch fish spot. Lings are in there but not for us that day. On calm days on the top of a flood tide you can fish off the sunken portion of the south jetty. It's a lot closer and produces good fish, ling and all, but if any swell picks up you need to get out of there. The Columbia to me has the best salmon fishing around but it lacks the variety of fishing that I like. Newport to me is a good place to fish for bottom fish and still has salmon available but darn few razor clam beaches. If I could make the perfect spot on the coast I'd combine Newport and Astoria. (the grass is always green syndrome)